PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mom: "You don't even look pregnant!" is NOT a compliment

wellyes
04-23-2010, 08:25 AM
when I'm in the 3rd trimester
She really thinks she's being complimentary.
I've only gained 15 pounds but it is all big, high belly bump jetting straight out.
And I waddle.
If I don't look pregnant, do I just look like --- what? A misshapen penguin?
:32:

JenChem
04-23-2010, 08:56 AM
I love penguins!

Sorry your mom was insensitive. I always tell pregnant ladies they're beautiful, what with all the glowing and smiles. Occasionally if I run across a smaller lady I'll tell her how envious I am that she is so much smaller than I remember being. So you are beautiful and I wish I had gained that little weight! :love-retry:

truly scrumptious
04-23-2010, 09:12 AM
My pregnancy was like that - all i had was a belly bump (you couldn't tell I was pregnant if you were looking at me from behind.) The kicker was at 6 months, when someone acted totally surprised to find out I was pregnant. After that I took to sticking my belly out as much as possible!
:hug: and congratulations!

boogiemomz
04-23-2010, 09:43 AM
right there with you. i HATED hearing that. i wanted to say, "well, actually, i DON'T look like this normally." i gained all my weight below the waist before i had a huge belly to balance it out, so basically, i just looked really heavy all over. so it was kinda true--i didn't look especially pregnant until about 26 weeks. still, hated hearing it. definitely NOT a compliment. :irked:

jal
04-23-2010, 01:47 PM
if i don't look pregnant, do i just look like --- what? A misshapen penguin?

:rotflmao:

citymama
04-23-2010, 05:46 PM
I'll be honest, I prefer the "you can hardly tell you're pregnant" comment to the "wow, you're ready to pop!" "you're soooo biiiig" comments. hang in there!

alirebco
04-23-2010, 07:41 PM
this is why the best thing to say to a pregnant woman is you're beautiful. not you're huge or you're so tiny, since everyone can be sensitive to those comments.

elephantmeg
04-23-2010, 08:53 PM
I had an aneshesiologist at work comment on my not hitting the gym as normal-I was like 7 1/2 months pregnant- ummm no I'm just pregnant. He really thought I had just gotten fat...

liamsmom
04-23-2010, 10:28 PM
I didn't get too big with DS (that long torso finally became useful). During the last trimester people were shocked to hear how far along I was. It made me nervous! When he weighed 8lbs 6oz at birth, I felt vindicated somehow. Really, beyond "Congratulations!" people shouldn't say anything to a pregnant woman--especially about her appearance.

Snow mom
04-23-2010, 11:13 PM
You look beautiful. I'm sure of it...