PDA

View Full Version : BPA-free canned foods and tomatoes

essnce629
04-23-2010, 05:48 PM
I've been having a conversation on FB with a friend about BPA in canned foods and came across this info. Some people think that organic canned foods MUST be BPA-free, but "organic" has nothing to do with BPA status. Here's some good website that list brands that are BPA-free. Good news-- ALL Trader Joe's canned beans, corn, fish, and meat are BPA-free!

BPA in Cans
http://organicgrace.com/node/316

BPA-free Canned Food Options
http://thesoftlandingbaby.com/2010/03/15/bpa-free-canned-food-options/

BPA-free Tomatoes Do Exist! (very difficult to find due to the acidity in the tomatoes)
http://thesoftlandingbaby.com/2010/01/14/bpa-free-tomatoes-do-exist/

Pomi tetrapak tomatoes by the case (dozen)
http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?ss=1&Ntk=products&Ntt=pomi

boogiemomz
04-23-2010, 06:09 PM
thank you!!! i was just wondering about this yesterday. nice to know i can safely shop at TJ's, whatever i'm looking for! :bighand:

Katigre
04-23-2010, 06:17 PM
I love Pomi tomatoes - I've been using them instead of canned for a few years now. Pacific Foods used to sell organic tetrapack tomatoes but I haven't seen them in over a year so maybe they were discontinued.

Very nice to see that some TJ's canned goods don't have BPA, as last time I checked the only bpa-free cans were Eden organic beans (they are a really conscientous company and an industry leader when it comes to this issue - I buy their beans by the case from amazon.com's grocery).

SnuggleBuggles
04-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Funny timing! I was just thinking about this as I was using a can of black beans from TJs a few minutes ago!

Beth

hillview
04-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks so much for posting!
/hillary

brittone2
04-23-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm still skeptical about TJs tomatoes (eta: just reread the links above and they are talking about aseptic packaging, so I understand the tomatoes now) and beans. When the BPA story really started taking off, TJs customer service was telling people they did not use BPA. Then later, the story somehow changed to people being told that some of their items were still in BPA lined cans. I remember reading recently (here, or MDC maybe?) that someone called and TJs was saying they *never* told people that they did NOT use BPA, which is not true. I recall numerous bloggers and posters posting that they called and were told TJs didn't use BPA in their own product can linings. The TJs rep then stated that some of their items are in BPA free cans...I think it may have been some canned fish (their brand)...like canned wild salmon, maybe some things like sardines...a few other things. But I still think they use BPA in their bean and tomato can linings.

I think their back and forth on the issue over the past few years has been really, really confusing. I am annoyed that they are saying they never stated that they DON'T use BPA, as I clearly remember a lot of buzz about them being BPA free and then it was later retracted...

anyone else remember this?

I guess I'm still fuzzy on the details from TJs.

fumofu
04-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Thank you for posting. I had no idea BPA was in canned products.

The thing I buy most in canned form is Swanson's chicken stock. But that's out the window. I wonder if the carton form is OK. Does TJ's sell stock in carton form?

Maybe it's time I make my own stock, like I am with roasted tomatoes. DH likes the tomato soup I just started making.

TwinFoxes
04-23-2010, 06:46 PM
I've been wondering if any canned goods were BPA free. OP this post was very helpful. :signthankspin:

Sillygirl
04-23-2010, 07:07 PM
I'd be skeptical about any canned tomatoes billed as BPA-free. I don't think the industry has come up with a BPA-free can that is suitable for high-acid foods. The tetra-packs (like Pomi) are probably your best bet there.

alirebco
04-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Here's another good link: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/03/7-bpa-free-canned-foods.php

We use Eden beans, Bionature tomatoes and tomato paste, Pomi tomatoes, and Native Forest coconut milk and hearts of palm. We don't use any other canned goods beside that though.

brittone2
04-23-2010, 08:55 PM
:yeahthat:

Those are pretty much the only canned products we use as well (or substitutes in the case of the aseptic packaging version of products).

I honestly don't feel like we are missing much at all w/ using those. Everything else I can find a substitute for.

brittone2
04-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Here's another good link: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/03/7-bpa-free-canned-foods.php

We use Eden beans, Bionature tomatoes and tomato paste, Pomi tomatoes, and Native Forest coconut milk and hearts of palm. We don't use any other canned goods beside that though.

*that* is what I was trying to give a :yeahthat: to :)

salsah
04-24-2010, 12:55 AM
thanks! i wonder about this all time.

HonoluluMom
07-13-2010, 03:48 PM
I've been having a conversation on FB with a friend about BPA in canned foods and came across this info. Some people think that organic canned foods MUST be BPA-free, but "organic" has nothing to do with BPA status. Here's some good website that list brands that are BPA-free. Good news-- ALL Trader Joe's canned beans, corn, fish, and meat are BPA-free!

BPA in Cans
http://organicgrace.com/node/316

BPA-free Canned Food Options
http://thesoftlandingbaby.com/2010/03/15/bpa-free-canned-food-options/

BPA-free Tomatoes Do Exist! (very difficult to find due to the acidity in the tomatoes)
http://thesoftlandingbaby.com/2010/01/14/bpa-free-tomatoes-do-exist/

Pomi tetrapak tomatoes by the case (dozen)
http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?ss=1&Ntk=products&Ntt=pomi

Hawaii does not have Trader Joe's!:hopmad: I will take a look at the websites and then head to my WholeFoods or organic grocer. Thank you!

Cuckoomamma
07-13-2010, 04:35 PM
I didn't realize that TJ's made a tetrapack tomato product. We have food allergies, so I have to check if there's other ingredients. We've been using Pomi, but I just can't afford it much longer. With the allergies and grass-fed beef, trying to buy organic chicken, throw ballet for 2 girls in there....we're going broke!:ROTFLMAO:

Anyone have a cheap source for Pomi?

zoestargrove
07-13-2010, 04:48 PM
thanks for the tip on buying Eden organic beans by the case on amazon. It's a much better price than my grocery store.

I just tried the Bionature tomato paste in a jar.

Katigre
07-13-2010, 05:06 PM
thanks for the tip on buying Eden organic beans by the case on amazon. It's a much better price than my grocery store.
I love how the cases of beans are eligible for free shipping even though they're heavy!

essnce629
07-13-2010, 05:53 PM
I didn't realize that TJ's made a tetrapack tomato product. We have food allergies, so I have to check if there's other ingredients. We've been using Pomi, but I just can't afford it much longer. With the allergies and grass-fed beef, trying to buy organic chicken, throw ballet for 2 girls in there....we're going broke!:ROTFLMAO:

Anyone have a cheap source for Pomi?

Unfortunatly, I think the TJ's "starter sauce" tetra pak has been discontinued. That's what the comments at the end of the blog said (as of June 2010). I know I've never seen it. Vitacost.com is the cheapest place to buy the Pomi chopped tomatoes and that's where I bought ours. It's $32.63 for a case of 12 (and I think shipping is around $5). They have their "strained tomatoes" too-- is that just tomato sauce?

http://www.vitacost.com/Pomi-Chopped-Tomatoes?csrc=GPF-024321424277

gobadgers
07-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Thanks for these links - this is so helpful!

Katigre
07-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Unfortunatly, I think the TJ's "starter sauce" tetra pak has been discontinued. That's what the comments at the end of the blog said (as of June 2010). I know I've never seen it. Vitacost.com is the cheapest place to buy the Pomi chopped tomatoes and that's where I bought ours. It's $32.63 for a case of 12 (and I think shipping is around $5). They have their "strained tomatoes" too-- is that just tomato sauce?

http://www.vitacost.com/Pomi-Chopped-Tomatoes?csrc=GPF-024321424277
I was really sad when the TJ's tetrapacks were discontinued - it was sometime last year. Pomi's "Strained Tomatoes" are just tomato sauce - though if you like chunkier sauce just go with their diced tomatoes instead b/c they're more pureed than other diced tomatoes I've used.

lablover
07-14-2010, 01:45 PM
Does anyone know offhand if the Trader Joe's refried beans contain BPA?

essnce629
07-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Does anyone know offhand if the Trader Joe's refried beans contain BPA?

I'm not sure, but I think they'd probably be BPA-free since they're just beans and not a mixture like a chili with other products. This is what the blog said about TJ's cans and BPA:

.....a call to TJ's customer relations reveals that canned corn, canned beans, canned fish, canned poultry, and canned beef at Trader Joe's are all packaged in BPA free cans. However, any other products that contain corn or beans or fish, etc. and other items - for example in soups or chilis - are not in BPA free cans, the company said.

lablover
07-14-2010, 04:15 PM
The label looked like it was from the same company that makes some of their beans so that's what I was hoping. I think I'll try to call them sometime to see for sure. DD loves to have them in quesadillas and eats them at least once a week. The Eden refrieds got horrible reviews on Amazon.

brittone2
07-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Don't baked beans have a tomato-y base? I would think they might need to have a bpa/epoxy can lining as a result?

Aishe
07-14-2010, 05:24 PM
I'm still skeptical about TJs tomatoes (eta: just reread the links above and they are talking about aseptic packaging, so I understand the tomatoes now) and beans. When the BPA story really started taking off, TJs customer service was telling people they did not use BPA. Then later, the story somehow changed to people being told that some of their items were still in BPA lined cans. I remember reading recently (here, or MDC maybe?) that someone called and TJs was saying they *never* told people that they did NOT use BPA, which is not true. I recall numerous bloggers and posters posting that they called and were told TJs didn't use BPA in their own product can linings. The TJs rep then stated that some of their items are in BPA free cans...I think it may have been some canned fish (their brand)...like canned wild salmon, maybe some things like sardines...a few other things. But I still think they use BPA in their bean and tomato can linings.

I think their back and forth on the issue over the past few years has been really, really confusing. I am annoyed that they are saying they never stated that they DON'T use BPA, as I clearly remember a lot of buzz about them being BPA free and then it was later retracted...

anyone else remember this?

I guess I'm still fuzzy on the details from TJs.

Another skeptic here. I don't know the story behind this, but I really believe that if TJ's canned goods were BPA-free they would be marketing that all over the place. I've never read any mention of it in a Frequent Flyer or anything. They know their customer demographic and I don't think they would miss an opportunity to talk up BPA-free cans if they were really selling them. The fact that they're silent on the issue is pretty telling IMO.

It's really easy to cook beans! Especially if you have a slow cooker. And they don't have that tinny canned flavor.

brittone2
07-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Another skeptic here. I don't know the story behind this, but I really believe that if TJ's canned goods were BPA-free they would be marketing that all over the place. I've never read any mention of it in a Frequent Flyer or anything. They know their customer demographic and I don't think they would miss an opportunity to talk up BPA-free cans if they were really selling them. The fact that they're silent on the issue is pretty telling IMO.

It's really easy to cook beans! Especially if you have a slow cooker. And they don't have that tinny canned flavor.

I'm also somewhat skeptical on the BPA free claims (although I trust Eden based on my own research). I recall reading that some tests of the vital choice products in "BPA free" cans still came back with some bpa (20 ppb). No idea what happened with that but I'm not 100% confident in the TJs thing yet.

sailor
07-15-2010, 01:00 AM
Does anyone know what the BPA-free cans are lined with? Sometimes I wonder if BPA might be the devil you know compared to some new mystery lining. The best bet is to avoid canned goods of course, but they are convenient at times.