PDA

View Full Version : Need shoes with great support

KBecks
04-23-2010, 07:58 PM
I am apparently developing plantar fascitis (sp?) or heel pain. Going to see a foot doc on Monday, but know I need to get "good" shoes.... but what are "good" shoes -- good support....

I would love to know your suggestions.... I am willing to spend for shoes that are going to be good for my feet and give good support. Tried Danskos once but the wrong size and returned them to Zappos and didn't bother to order another pair. I just purchased two pairs of Privos but I am not sure they are good, maybe I need inserts.

Anyway, I would love to know any suggestions or even specific shoes. Thanks so much!

bubbaray
04-23-2010, 08:00 PM
The only shoes that I know for sure are recommended for PF are Birkenstocks. I know many many MANY marathoners and Ironmen from our running club who have had PF and all have ended up only being able to wear Birks. The key is to put them on while you are still in bed, before your feet touch the floor.

HTH

KBecks
04-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Awwww..... Birks?

I don't see myself as a Birks girl, but I guess I could try 'em. I just noticed the foot pain starting and it is mild..... but I want to take care of this and not create long-term issues.

Thanks Melissa!

mrshalco
04-23-2010, 09:10 PM
I have PF and I actually tore my fascia two years ago. Back then I was given a list of shoes that were good for PF. Birks are on the list but so are Naots, Finn Comfort, Dansko, Mephisto, Asics, New Balance, etc. I'll keep looking for the list because it was pretty extensive!

Some other things to do to keep PF at bay....never walk in barefeet or in flat flip flops - even to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night! You will need to stretch before you get out of bed in the morning. That first morning walk is the WORST!! Buy a dryer ball, step on it, and roll your foot along it (with pressure!). Those things will help!

I also wear inserts in all my shoes. I don't wear them in my Danskos. The inserts I buy from my podiatrist are called powersteps - http://www.powersteps.com/ I buy them in her office for about 30.00. I also buy an insert at REI called SuperFeet. I wear the pink ones. They are also aroud 30.00. I think they are both equally the same but I tend to like the powersteps in my sneakers and the superfeet in my "slippers".

Hope that helps some!

Kymberley
04-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Dansko! All the way. I tried Birks, not for me. I live in my Danskos.

boltfam
04-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Dansko! All the way. I tried Birks, not for me. I live in my Danskos.
:yeahthat:

KBecks
04-23-2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks so much! Now I have a new problem, $1,000+ in the Zappos cart..... and I'm not picking practical summer styles for the playground -- there are some beautiful shoes out there!!!

I'll narrow it down to 2 or 3 practical pairs and hope it helps -- thanks so much!

tmarie
04-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Danskos! I just bought a couple of pairs at Nordstrom. The sizing can be tricky, so it's definitely helpful to try them on or order two sizes if ordering online. (I have plantar fascitis too)

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3090264/0~2376780~6009391~6014892~6014894~6014895?mediumth umbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014895&P=1

The other brand that is very comfortable, but I have trouble finding styles I like, is Clark's 'unstructured' line. Feels like you are walking on a cloud!

tmarie

Kymberley
04-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Danskos! I just bought a couple of pairs at Nordstrom. The sizing can be tricky, so it's definitely helpful to try them on or order two sizes if ordering online. (I have plantar fascitis too)

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3090264/0~2376780~6009391~6014892~6014894~6014895?mediumth umbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014895&P=1

The other brand that is very comfortable, but I have trouble finding styles I like, is Clark's 'unstructured' line. Feels like you are walking on a cloud!

tmarie

Ooo, I've been eyeing those too! Good to hear a review!

mskitty
04-23-2010, 10:40 PM

tmarie

I was going to echo this comment. I live in my Danskos but the fit is very important.

I also really like my Earth sandals in the warmer weather. I have a pair of basic black Earth Cabos which are awesome. I use them as my house shoes/quick errand flip flops. So much more support plus they clean up great.

mskitty

PearlsMom
04-26-2010, 02:52 PM
My mom had PF and the MBS shoes were the only things she could wear without pain. I think they're the original anti-cellulite shoes, but were developed for athletes/rehab. I have a pair just for fun, and I do feel I get a little more work from walking around in them and that they help my posture a bit.

Reina
04-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Ecco brand shoes have great support. I can't wear anything else anymore, but Ecco Performance shoes.