PDA

View Full Version : DS1 (1st grade) punched out the bully at school today.

kep
04-23-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm strangely proud and horrified at the same time. Oh, and he and Ben made up tonight at a bday party and are buddies again.

Apparently they had received suprises after the final Terra Nova tests today, and Luke had picked a bouncy ball. Ben wanted Luke's, and started chasing Luke around the room. Luke dove under a table to "give him the slip", and when that didn't work he said he punched him in the nose, and then "got his legs so he couldn't chase me anymore". And then he followed up with this... "But don't worry Mom, his nose wasn't bleeding or anything, and he didn't fall down. It was really all his fault."

Luke said he tried to call his teacher, but there just wasn't time. The teacher put him in time-out, and took away his ball (which I honestly felt was unjustified). He also had to flip his behavior card to red. The blue card is actually the worst, but red is pretty bad. His teacher also came to the car at pick-up to fill me in on what was happening. I saw her coming and all I could think of was... this can't be good.

Poor Luke has had a rough week at school.

shawnandangel
04-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Oh no! Did Luke ever get his ball back? I understand the time out and flipping the card, but the teacher should have been watching the class and not letting a bully chase your son around!

Did he really say "To give him the slip?" that's hilarious coming out of a 7 year olds mouth!

Hope next week goes better for Luke!

Raidra
04-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Honestly.. I think that's awesome. :o Not that I'd encourage that behavior, but my boys are so shy, I'd be *thrilled* if they stood up for themselves like that.

Okay, so maybe a mixture of pride and horror like you said.. :) I also think it stinks that the teacher took away his ball.

MamaMolly
04-23-2010, 09:28 PM
I can admit now, years later, that on occasion I would turn a blind eye when one of my students got fed up and gave the bully a little dose of his/her won medicine.

As for Luke, I wouldn't worry too much unless it becomes a pattern.

kep
04-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Oh no! Did Luke ever get his ball back? I understand the time out and flipping the card, but the teacher should have been watching the class and not letting a bully chase your son around!

Did he really say "To give him the slip?" that's hilarious coming out of a 7 year olds mouth!

Hope next week goes better for Luke!

That's exactly what he said. He is BIG into spy things right now. :)

sunshine873
04-24-2010, 09:37 AM
I think I'd be just like you. You don't really want them getting in fights or anything, but you do want them to be able to stand up for themselves. :) Good for him (whispered.)