PDA

View Full Version : Another name thread. Spelling question...

JoyNChrist
04-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Elliot? Elliott?

One T or two? I'm not a fan of "unique" spellings, so I want to go with the most common spelling, but I'm getting mixed results with this one - it seems that both spellings are used with relatively equal frequency.

FWIW, baby girl's name will almost certainly be Evelyn. I wanted Evelyn and Oliver but DH vetoed that one, so Elliot/Elliott is the second pick.

SnuggleBuggles
04-23-2010, 10:47 PM
1 "t" is what I would naturally write. I don't know what the the official spelling is.

I love Oliver. That and Simon were on our name list for ds2 (didn't use either though b/c they just didn't seem to fit him when he was out).

Beth

Snow mom
04-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Unfortunately, if you go with a name that has more than one common spelling you will find yourself spelling it forever. We went with the "common" spelling on DD's name but no one seems to know what the common spelling is.

JoyNChrist
04-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Unfortunately, if you go with a name that has more than one common spelling you will find yourself spelling it forever. We went with the "common" spelling on DD's name but no one seems to know what the common spelling is.

Yeah...I'm Stacy and frequently get Stacey, Staci, Stacie, etc. It's not an ideal situation, but we'll just have to live with. ;)

baymom
04-24-2010, 12:02 AM
With one 'T' feels more natural to me. I love that name!

sariana
04-24-2010, 12:15 AM
http://www.babynamegenie.com/polls/164204/results

KpbS
04-24-2010, 12:19 AM
I've always preferred Elliott. It's a favorite of mine :)

boogiemomz
04-24-2010, 07:58 AM
Yeah...I'm Stacy and frequently get Stacey, Staci, Stacie, etc. It's not an ideal situation, but we'll just have to live with. ;)

at least with elliot/elliott you can keep it simple, "2 'L's, 2 'T's," or whatever you choose, you probably wouldn't have to spell it all out (depending on who you're dealing with, of course! ;)). i voted for elliot; that would be my default.

wellyes
04-24-2010, 08:22 AM
I think this is the toughest name spelling poll I've ever seen. I really think both are right :) I like the symmetry of 2 "ts".

tmahanes
04-24-2010, 11:54 AM
That is my maiden name (2 "l"s and 2 "t"s) and i think it looks much better like that but i did have to tell people there were 2 "t"s all the time!

boogiemomz
04-24-2010, 11:58 AM
wow, it's a dead heat!! draw out of a hat?? :rotflmao:

i actually know someone who chose her DD's names that way... and not just different spellings, but totally different names!! :eek:

JTsMom
04-24-2010, 12:03 PM
I like the 1 "t", but I agree that both look right.

kransden
04-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Two Ts are standard and that is what I prefer, but one is fine too. Either one doesn't make the parents look like they couldn't spell. That's what drives me crazy.

egoldber
04-24-2010, 12:40 PM
I like it with either 2 Ls and 2 Ts or (Elliott) with 1 L and 1 T (Eliot).

LarsMal
04-24-2010, 01:20 PM
I keep coming back to this thread, but I can't vote because I think they both work. I would definitely do two L's, but I think you could go either way with the T's. (The results of the poll seem to show that, too!)

WatchingThemGrow
04-24-2010, 01:37 PM
I always want to spell it with 2 T's. However Evelyn has six letters and so does Elliot. Does that make a difference?

jerigirl
05-06-2010, 05:32 PM
I voted 1 "t". That is how we spell ds's name. I will tell you that everyone tries to add the second "t".

JoyNChrist
05-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Well y'all are no help at all! LOL

I'm thinking we'll probably go with Elliott, just because it seems easier to say "two L's and two T's"...unless of course DH caves in and lets me use Oliver, which was my first choice. ;)

becca_g
05-06-2010, 06:23 PM
This one is tough because I actually know someone through work named Elliot (or Elliott??) ... I can never remember and have to look it up each time before I send an email to his secretary to schedule a meeting.

I think either spelling is fine, but I agree that it's likely it will be misspelled either way.

infocrazy
05-06-2010, 07:36 PM

:yeahthat: I thought there was only one common spelling of DD's name...but apparently I was wrong.

ourbabygirl
05-06-2010, 08:54 PM
I voted 2 t's because I just think it looks right that way, and also like how it goes with 2 l's. One 'l' or one 't' just looks kind of made-up to me (like when parents pick a trendy name and then purposefully change the spelling just to be different).
In any case, I like your name choices and think it's nice that you let us weigh in! :)