PDA

View Full Version : water fitness during pregnancy

ewpmsw
04-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Anyone know of a good website or book on water aerobics/water fitness? I could use a refresher on exercises to do. I'm going to start taking the water aerobics classes at our Y, but their times overlap with other stuff on our schedule, so I need to take a look at things I can do on my own. I'm about 5 mos pregnant and definitely in need of exercise. So out of shape and overweight to begin with, and really starting to feel it now. TIA for suggestions.

sunnyside
04-24-2010, 05:20 PM
I don't know of a book or website, but in my aqua fitness we literally jog in the pool and do a lot of fast and high kicking and punching in the water. We also do fast jumping jacks and work with the foam hand weights or foam bar a LOT. I'm tired when I get out and really feel it the next day each time. I'll try to pay attention when I go in the next couple days and see if I can at least respond with a few other exercises...

wellyes
04-24-2010, 06:07 PM
I did laps about 4 times a week for the first and second trimesters. It was AWESOME. You can really set your own pace and mix up what you do. I talked to my personal trainer beforehand to get ideas.

My favorite by far was breaststroke, particularly as my body changed shape - getting that expanding action in the chest / shoulders felt fantastic the next day. I'd typically do a lap of breaststroke, then a lap with a kickboard (kicking to mimic riding a bike) for cardio, a backstroke, then start over with breaststroke. Occasionally I'd throw in a lap of sidestroke or a regular 'freestyle' lap. About 35-45 minutes 4 times per week.

(I'm not in shape either and this probably isn't enough of a workout for someone really fit, but it was great for me).

I tried water aerobics a couple of times but I found it to be kind of boring when I did it, and it made me feel tired instead of exhilarated. And I felt a little awkward being the only person in class who wasn't either over 55 or in physical therapy.

Just be careful to not overdo it in terms of cardio. Don't get too out of breath. If you have a water-resistant heart-rate monitor watch, keep it at the edge of the pool so you can check on yourself. Below 140 bpm was what both my OB and my trainer advised. And drink lots of water. In the pool it's hard to realize how much you're sweating, so just keep a bottle around and make sure to drink regularly.

LarsMal
04-24-2010, 09:48 PM
I swam laps several times a week during my 3rd trimester with DS. I loved it!! I did all the different strokes and several laps with a kickboard and flippers. I would also jog in the water.

Not only did I get a good, low impact workout (I wasn't very fast!), I loved feeling weightless in the water, and I really think it helped with delivery (I only pushed for 10-15 minutes) as well as recovery.

Just take it slow and enjoy!!

ewpmsw
04-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks for all the info. I've taken the water aerobics class before with mixed feelings. Around here, it's billed as "just my speed/aquamoms", but it's mostly women over 60 - I've never felt like I had a real work out at the end. I asked the Y aquatics director about water walking/jogging classes and she said they're geared toward the elderly and folks with arthritis and would probably not be a good fit. I'm thinking I need to increase my own efforts in whatever water class I take, even if I'm thrashing a bit more than everyone else. I'm interested in the lap swimming ideas, esp. the breast stroke (I'm coordinated enough for that one!) Thanks again, all.