PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen "Meet Your Meat"

essnce629
04-24-2010, 05:06 PM
I've seen Food Inc already, but my friend has been wanting me to watch "Meet Your Meat" for a pretty long time (she didn't think the Food Inc movie was very good). It's only 12 minutes long and I just watched it. Let's just say I cried and I'm seriously contemplating becoming a vegetarian. It's really isn't right how horribly these animals are treated in their short life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIjanhKqVC4

Pepper
04-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Haven't seen it - but your post caught my eye, b/c we get our meat from a CSA. The animals are all pasture-raised and very humanely treated. The farm has not gotten an 'organic" designation but that's essentially what they are...twice a year they have an open-barn, "meet your meat" event where all the CSA members can come out and inspect the farm, see the animals and pastures, etc. For a confirmed carnivore such as myself, it's a great thing.

essnce629
04-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I think I'm going to look into joining a CSA.

wellyes
04-24-2010, 08:22 PM
I've been a vegetarian a long time, and I hear so many arguments against vegetarianism that amount to 'humans are designed to eat meat' or 'it's healthy to eat meat'. And the thing is, I don't disagree with that. I don't think eating humanely raised & slaughtered animals is wrong at all. It's factory farming which I find deeply offensive. To me it's the same as if I learned any product I regularly buy was made in very cruel conditions; I'd boycott it or find an alternative. I can't think of a real-world analogy but it's something like: Almost all of us need or really want to own car, but if 90% of cars were made with --- say --- slave labor, that doesn't make slave labor OK.

I don't really have any interest in eating meat even from a local farm, but that's a personal taste thing. I don't know if I'll raise my kids vegetarian. I struggle with it. I don't want to limit them or - make meat some kind of forbidden thing they'll end up thinking is a treat. So I may join a meat CSA myself for my family.

brittone2
04-24-2010, 08:25 PM
I was a veg for 10ish years, but because I have PCOS and insulin resistance, I transitioned over to eating more protein/fat and include more meat as part of our diets. For *me* it is healthier.

We just do our best to source as much as possible from local farms. We have seen how "our" local farmers raise the meat we eat, and how they raise their chickens that produce our eggs, etc. We've met the cows where we get our milk, etc.

We buy grassfed/pastured products whenever possible (beef in bulk), etc.

alirebco
04-24-2010, 09:12 PM
I've been a vegetarian a long time, and I hear so many arguments against vegetarianism that amount to 'humans are designed to eat meat' or 'it's healthy to eat meat'. And the thing is, I don't disagree with that. I don't think eating humanely raised & slaughtered animals is wrong at all. It's factory farming which I find deeply offensive. To me it's the same as if I learned any product I regularly buy was made in very cruel conditions; I'd boycott it or find an alternative. I can't think of a real-world analogy but it's something like: Almost all of us need or really want to own car, but if 90% of cars were made with --- say --- slave labor, that doesn't make slave labor OK.

I don't really have any interest in eating meat even from a local farm, but that's a personal taste thing. I don't know if I'll raise my kids vegetarian. I struggle with it. I don't want to limit them or - make meat some kind of forbidden thing they'll end up thinking is a treat. So I may join a meat CSA myself for my family.

so refreshing to hear your point of view! i was a vegetarian/vegan over the past year and suffered many health problems and am back to eating meat but only humanely raised and pastured meat (we get ours from polyface and some other local farms). i know a lot of vegs don't think this way but there is a huge distinction b/c factory farming and small family owned farms that treat their animals well.

daisymommy
04-24-2010, 09:13 PM
OH DEAR GOD! I had to stop watching. I knew this went on, but to see it...it was just too much. Especially at night before bed.

I watched one about chickens in battery cages last year that was absolutely horrendous. From then on I couldn't get the images out of my mind and I couldn't bring myself to buy eggs unless they were cage-free. I know now that doesn't mean they are humanely raised, but again, at the time I new it was better than cage raised.

daisymommy
04-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Alicia, wow! you must be somewhere around me! We got our bulk meat and pork from Polyface last year! I'm still trying to decide who I want to go with this year. I LOVE Joel Salatin as a person and their farm, but I just couldn't get used to the gamey taste of the meat. I guess that's what happens when you grow up eating corn-fed beef huh?

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-25-2010, 02:29 PM
I am a Veg. and have been for 4ish years. DD is being raised a Veg., too. She will see a Mc'd commercial and say eww dead cows. She is consistently in the 80 percentile for height and weight is super active. We are lacto ovo so we eat eggs and milk, both organic. Not perfect, but better. Factory farms are horrible.