PDA

View Full Version : Can/should we eat this chicken?

tmarie
04-25-2010, 01:50 PM
I just bought a huge batch of thawed boneless chicken breasts from Costco--the Kirkland brand, but looked like the Perdue packaging. I opened some up to prep for tonight and put the rest in the freezer. I thought I could smell a little bit of a rotten egg aroma. It wasn't strong or overwhelming when I opened the package, I literally needed to sniff it. Is this normal or should I throw them out? I never buy mass amounts of meat/poultry, so I can't decide if I'm just paranoid. :)

tmarie

maybeebaby08
04-25-2010, 01:53 PM
I asked my husband, he's a chef so he's up to date on food safety regulations. He said it's a gas that put on chicken to make it last longer, if you let it sit out for a half hour it should go away.

tmarie
04-25-2010, 01:55 PM
I asked my husband, he's a chef so he's up to date on food safety regulations. He said it's a gas that put on chicken to make it last longer, if you let it sit out for a half hour it should go away.

Phew!! Thank you SO much for asking your dh--that is such helpful information to know! :)

tmarie

maybeebaby08
04-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Sure, it would be horrible to have to throw it out or a paing go back to Costco to return it.

JTsMom
04-25-2010, 03:06 PM
I've always been told that chicken should have no smell at all, so I'd take it back personally. I am a freak about that sort of thing though, so take it for what it's worth. I will say that I've smelled truly bad chicken though, and there is NO mistaking that smell- it's seriously disgusting. My concern would be that it's kind of borderline, and since it's such a big batch, I wouldn't want to pay all that money for borderline chicken.