PDA

View Full Version : I think DD has a UTI. What do I do?

elektra
04-25-2010, 11:24 PM
DD has been doing great with PT, once she finally decided that it was what she wanted to do.
For the past 3 weeks she has been going on the potty and now the toilet consistently.
But yesterday she peed her pants twice and then today several times too.
She did come down with a cough last night and a runny nose this morning, and so I thought maybe the peeing thing just had to do with her not feeling well.
But then today she would run to the bathroom then pee before I could get her underwear off. Once she even said it hurt to pee.
This sounds like a UTI, right?
So do I need to take her in to the dr. right away? Wait? Do I need to get a urine sample first?

MommyofAmaya
04-25-2010, 11:32 PM
I've taken Amaya in several times with similar symptoms, fearing a UTI, but her tests always came back negative. Although our doctor prefers that you get the urine sample at their office in a sterile container, I have brought the sample in a sterile breastmilk storage bag and they have accepted it. She might just have some irritation in that area causing some pain.

Hope she feels better soon.

Fairy
04-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Definitely sounds like a UTI to me. Poor girlie. I would take her first thing in the AM if your ped has "sick walk in hours." If not, for a suspected UTI, that's a priority kind of thing and should get you into the office tomorrow at some point. If you're worried she won't be able to control her bladder, can you get a pullup on her? I'd do children's motrin if she's got pain, but you need that abx. Sending you good vibes!

elektra
04-26-2010, 12:48 AM
OK, thanks. I'll call in the morning to see if I can get her in.
I wonder if this is a combo of PT'ing and her holding it longer than she should? Maybe I'm not wiping her good enough? :(
I remember NEVER being able to pee in at the dr. when I was a kid. Hoping DD doesn't have the same problem!

MommyAllison
04-26-2010, 01:03 AM
DD had a UTI last summer, and I got a sample at home in a new paper cup and brought it with us. I would have tried to get one there if they needed it, but thankfully they were able to us the sample from home. Keep it in the fridge til you go, and try to have it be as recent as possible (ours was 20 minutes old when we went in). We had to get a urine sample recently to rule out a UTI and DD couldn't produce a sample at the dr office. After an hour of waiting and trying, they sent us home with the sterile cup, and of course she went as soon as we came home. :eyeroll: So I vote, take a sample with you if you can, but also get her full of water in case they want a sample in the office! Hope she feels better soon!

Fairy
04-26-2010, 01:26 AM
I don't think it would hurt for you to collect urine before you go. If you're able to do this without a struggle, then use the most sterile thing you have, and the very worst thing that could happen is that they say we can't use this. No harm no foul. but I've got a boy, so that's alot easier. Maybe they can do a blood test (finger prick) and look for the elevated white count that I'd suspect would be there with a UTI, key word there being the I -- infection. Regardless, you're on a path, so let us know how it goes.

citymama
04-26-2010, 02:39 AM
My DD developed a UTI (or more than one) while PTing so it certainly could be the case with yours. The red flag for me is the "it hurts to pee" remark - that sounds like a possible UTI.

It is hard to get a "clean" urine sample from a toddler, especially the whole mid-stream thing. We took DD's Bjorn potty in to the ped's and I think that really helped make her more comfortable giving the sample. While I like our ped. for the most part, this was one issue I did not think they handled it well. They repeatedly recommended antibiotics courses for suspected UTIs that couldn't be confirmed because of the whole "mixed flora" issue. Then after the second or third suspected UTI the ped. said maybe she had a structural issue and recommended an ultrasound - which showed everything was A-OK. After the third or fourth antibiotic prescription I put my foot down and just didn't fill it. She was fine in a day or two and we've tried not to overreact with UTI suspicions since.

That's not to say you are overreacting, and if your DD has a UTI it should be treated soon - but also know that it's hard to test, and that preventing them from happening (encouraging her to empty her bladder regularly, lots of hydration, careful and gentle wiping), are really the best way to go. Hope she is better soon!

maestramommy
04-26-2010, 07:07 AM
Dora had a UTI last winter. She was not yet poop trained, was pooping during nap, and it was always a huge mess. One morning she woke up crying, went to pee, and kept crying, saying her bum hurt. And then I smelled it. Her pee was very fishy in odor. I got her to the doc, and they took a sample. It wasn't with a catheder, but it was enough to find bacteria and blood. They gave me antibiotics and she was all better very quickly. :hug:

Fairy
04-27-2010, 12:58 AM
How'd it go with DD? She feeling better?

elektra
04-27-2010, 01:08 AM
How'd it go with DD? She feeling better?

Thanks for asking!
Yes, I was all set to call first thing in the morning but then when I asked her if it hurt to pee this morning she said no. So I asked the nanny to let me know if she seemed like she was having any discomfort or pain, or if she had any accidents. And she was fine today.
So maybe she was just off her game from being sick with the cold. Or maybe she was a little constipated and isn't totally in tune yet with all her parts and what they feel like!
I was just worried last night that I would need to get a sample and I wasn't sure if it was a wait and see thing or get in right away kind of thing. So I am giving it a bit more time before I take her in.