PDA

View Full Version : phonics DVDs

emily
04-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Can anyone recommend good phonics/reading DVDs for our two year old? I looked into Your Baby Can Read but I don't think it actually teaches reading. She's hooked to the DVD player in the car so we're looking for something educational she can watch to/from daycare.

Melaine
04-26-2010, 09:22 AM
Leapfrog Letter Factory. We got it on recommendations from here and the girls have definitely learned a lot of the letter sounds.

WatchingThemGrow
04-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Speaking as a K teacher...your 2yo doesn't need to learn phonics or reading, but we have that LeapFrog DVD Melaine mentioned for the times we're stuck in the van for a few hours. We don't use it around town/regularly.

Can you do some wordplay/rhyming/singing with her instead? Seems like a lot of screentime for a baby. There are lots of great sing-a-long CD's.

hellokitty
04-26-2010, 11:38 AM
The leapfrog letter factory rocks. One of my friends and I joke that you can just skip preschool all together and use the dvd if you want your child to learn their letters and letter sounds.

elliput
04-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Something else that can be fun and educational are sign language videos. Quite a few moms here (including me) really like the Signing Time (http://www.signingtime.com/index.php/) series.