PDA

View Full Version : Vegan option ideas? WWYCook?

Veronica's Mommy
04-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Hello!
My son is about to turn one, and the backyard party will be a good mix of kids/adults, family/friends. My family eats meat. A good number of our friends do not; in fact, many are vegan. Our menu so far is simple: BBQ pulled pork sandwiches w/ onions/peppers/tomatoes/lettuce; chips, fruit (probably grapes and clementines, not sliced or fruit salad), and probably vegetarian pinto beans. I say probably because I want to add something else but am not sure I want it to be 'fork food'. Also- popscicles, traditional birthday cake, and vegan cupcakes- got the recipe here, they are good!
Where I am stuck is the vegan option to pork sandwich. The pork comes prepared, all I need to do is thaw and heat in the oven, then put out the tray for guests to serve themselves. Ideally the vegan sandwich would be similar in concept, something that can be prepared ahead of time then reheated and served in a similar foil pan. Thinking like a sloppy joe, but what would I use instead of ground meat? Veggie burgers or faux chicken patties are another option, but I am afraid they will not be good when prepared in quantity then left to sit out. Plus they can be expensive.
Any feedback is much appreciated. Also, ideas for a side dish to replace the beans, that you can eat with your hands are welcomed! :)
TIA!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Veggie chili? Or veg fajitas?

pinkmomagain
04-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Not sure if this would do...but what about some grilled veggies to put in a sandwich like the pulled pork? I'm thinking eggplant rounds, peppers, onions, portabello mushrooms. They can be grilled ahead of time and be reheated or served at room temp.

citymama
04-26-2010, 04:54 PM
How about a tofu salad sandwich? I LOVE these - grilled tofu with a light marinade, peppers, sprouts, lettuce, etc fixings that you have on the pork sandwich, and if you can find some mint to throw in as well, you're golden!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-26-2010, 05:02 PM
DIY Bean Burritos w/tofu cheddar, cilantro, rice, etc.

MolieMuts
04-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Grilled Veggie Kabobs. Maybe avacado sandwiches.

marge234
04-26-2010, 06:01 PM
If you want to make sloppy joe TVP (textured vegetable protein) is a substitute for ground beef.

essnce629
04-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Veggie chili sounds good!

Seitvonzu
04-26-2010, 07:53 PM
i think your best bet is vegetarian chili-- i would do black bean. (epicurious.com has some good ones) i would probably have some tortillas, avacados, cheese (for those who aren't vegan, though there is vegan cheese so maybe that too?) in case people want to make a burrito like thing-- maybe some mexican rice too? (more burrito like and can sop up the chili juices) i don't think it would be too hard to have this as "fork food" (if people just wanted a bowl of chili) since you are already having the pinto beans, so not everything is grab and go anyhow.

Veronica's Mommy
04-26-2010, 09:01 PM
Well, you guys have given me some great ideas. I don't know yet what we'll do, but DH & I now have a few ideas to think about!
:p

kijip
04-26-2010, 09:48 PM
You can make a bbq vegan sandwich filling with tofu and/or mushrooms and roasted bell peppers and a vegan bbq sauce (most are, maybe get a HFCS free kind for all the sandwiches).

alirebco
04-26-2010, 10:25 PM
chickpea salad sandwich!

Veronica's Mommy
04-27-2010, 01:20 AM
Chickpea salad sandwich! Now that sounds intriguing....

ncat
04-27-2010, 06:55 AM
When we grill, we will do portabellos for vegetarian friends (burgers or chicken sandwiches for everyone else). We coat them with a little oil and toss them on the grill. They can be put on buns like everything else we are serving and everyone is happy! They come out tasty - I've found that I have to make extra because they are appealing to meat-eaters, too.

alirebco
04-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Chickpea salad sandwich! Now that sounds intriguing....

It's very yummy. You can make a mayo based one but if you have vegan friends, it's easier to do an olive oil based one and not worry about the eggs in the mayo. This is one recipe I love and so does my husband!

http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/01/smashed-chickpea-salad/

Portabella's are good too along with some grilled veggies but I would feel more full with some protein.

Veronica's Mommy
05-03-2010, 07:48 AM
Chickpea salad was a hit! We used an eggless mayo, red onions, parsley, can't remember what else.
Thank you for all the ideas! I may have to use them in the future :)