PDA

View Full Version : What's for dinner?

kijip
04-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Since there have been so many food threads, I thought a weekly What's for Dinner thread would be cool.

Monday: Taco Soup made with l/o beef (not enough for sandwiches and we had avocado to use up), tortillas, avocado
Tuesday: Chicken with Shrimp and Cheese, Mashed potatoes and Asparagus.
Weds: Black eyed peas and greens
Thurs: Leftovers, maybe adding a new salad.
Friday: BBQ Veggie skewers, salad, Mushroom sandwiches.
Saturday: Homemade veggie Pizza party with friends. I am not a meat pizza fan at all, so this is nearly always vegetarian.
Sunday: Going to friends, taking roast chicken, eating their fixings

fivi2
04-27-2010, 09:12 AM
Sunday - chicken, tomato/cauliflower/cheese casserole, salad
Monday - bean and rice burritos, salad, watermelon slices
Tuesday- turkey chili
Wed - no dh, not sure what the girls and I will eat
Thursday - leftover chili
Friday - chicken fajitas, salad
Sat - maybe hot dogs with chili, not sure. (probably freeze the chili for a later week instead because that is a lot of chili this week. But this is my back up plan in case I don't get inspired in the meantime. Maybe pizza if I get around to making the dough, but we have to do volunteer duty for one of their teams on Sat so we will be busy that day.)

DebbieJ
04-27-2010, 09:22 AM
Sunday: IKEA Swedish meatballs, mashed potatoes, steamed carrots
Monday: pork chops on grill, sweet potatoes, baked beans
Tuesday: TJ's Orange Chicken with rice and peppers
Wednesday: Birthday party at Pump It Up, so we'll be having pizza there
Thursday: leftovers
Friday: probably more leftovers or I'll find something
Saturday: as much as I hate to say it, probably Playland McD's.

I am trying to clean out my pantry and freezer plus DH will be MIA this weekend studying for an upcoming exam. that's why the McD's trip, which is for my sanity. maybe we can eat at Chipotle first and then just go hang at the playland. They're in the same plaza. :)

bubbaray
04-27-2010, 10:09 AM
This thread is useless without receipes....

ETA: I meant that jokingly. But I really would love recipes. :)

kijip
04-27-2010, 10:31 AM
This thread is useless without receipes....

ETA: I meant that jokingly. But I really would love recipes. :)
:rotflmao:

Which ones and I will gladly post :)

elephantmeg
04-27-2010, 01:18 PM
mon-stuffed shells
tues-going to family's for supper
wed salsa chicken in the crock pot
thurs-roast chicken and pot in the crock pot
fri-I work so they'll go out or something
sat-date night if we can get a sitter
sun-salsa chicken remade into tortilla something or the other... :)

elektra
04-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Mon: out for Mexican food
Tues: Chicken Mole enchiladas from my TJ's cookbook using leftever BBQ beer can chicken from the weekend
Wed: Frozen something (pizza?) (DH is out of town)
Thursday: Chicken Masala (chicken thighs in crock pot with Masala simmer sauce) plus those boil in a bag Indian sides from TJ's, naan bread and Basmati rice
Friday: take out!

catroddick
04-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Hmmm... DH is in charge of meals, and try as I might, I can not convince him to do meal planning until 5:15 each evening. Makes me crazy.

Oh- AND he used to run a commercial kitchen feeding 500+ students each night. You'd think he could plan a weekly menu for 3!

BUT- I do know one thing: It's Taco Tuesday! I got him committed to Taco Tuesday. He just has to decide what kind....

Twoboos
04-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Mon - baked chicken w/ green beans & almonds, rice
Tues - grilled hambugers w/grilled veg & smiley fries
Wed - beef/broccoli lo mein or out to dinner - our plans may change last minute
Thu - crock pot pulled pork w/peas and mashed potatoes
Fri - leftovers

hannah
04-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Monday - Pasta Primavera
Tuesday - Parmesan chicken, cheesy orzo & veggies
Wednesday - Sausage, Tomato & penne bake & salad
Thursday - dinner out
Fri - BBQ pulled pork, corn, mashed potatoes & corn bread
Saturday - something on the grill
Sunday - something on the grill

fivi2
04-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Monday - Pasta Primavera
Tuesday - Parmesan chicken, cheesy orzo & veggies
Wednesday - Sausage, Tomato & penne bake & salad
Thursday - dinner out
Fri - BBQ pulled pork, corn, mashed potatoes & corn bread
Saturday - something on the grill
Sunday - something on the grill

Do you have a recipe for the Sausage Tomato and penne bake? That sounds like something we'd like! Thanks!

hannah
04-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Baked Penne with Sausage, Tomatoes & Cheese from the cookbook "Don't Panic More Dinners In the Freezer"

1 lb uncooked penne pasta
1 lb hot italian sausage
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 oz tomato paste
8 oz tomato sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2-14 oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cup fresh parm cheese, grated
1 cup Italian fontal cheese, grated

Original recipe yields: 12 servings

Cooking Day:
Cook pasta according to directions, omitting salt and oil. Drain pasta and set aside.
Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage, onion & garlic in large non-stick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain. Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, salt and pepper and tomatoes. bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat to simmer and cook for 10 mins stirring occasionally.

Combine pasta, sausage mixture & basil. Place half of the pasta mixture in 9x13 baking dish. Top with half of each cheese. Repeat layers. Freeze.

Serving Day:
Thaw. Bake in preheated oven (350 degrees) for 25 minutes or until bubbly.

Notes:
I used turkey sausage instead of hot italian sausage.
I used more mozz & parm cheeses because I couldn't find the fontal cheese as specified.

fivi2
04-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks! Looks great!

bnme
04-27-2010, 08:41 PM
Monday-BBQ chicken pizza (from PW's website, except I used a Boboli :bag)http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/03/cpks-bbq-chicken-pizza/
Tuesday-Baked pork chops, oven fries, baked broccoli
Wednesday-Turkey meatloaf & mashed potatoes, leftover broccoli
Thursday-Chicken Gyros http://annies-eats.com/2009/06/02/chicken-gyros/
Friday-take-out pizza before t-ball

bubbaray
04-27-2010, 09:18 PM
:rotflmao:

Which ones and I will gladly post :)

Any and all?!

Reina
04-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Monday- Eggplant cooked with beef, onions, peppers, tomatoes & Low Fat Yogurt
Tuesday- Grilled Chicken Breast & Savory Zucchini Pie (fake pie -very low starch - more like a quiche) & Salad
Wednesday - Grilled Mini Beef Patties & Savory Zucchini Pie Left over & Salad
Thursday - Grilled Chicken Breast & Green beans cooked with tomatoes and onions & Salad
Friday - Whole Wheat Pasta & Garlic - Ginger Shrimp & Fennel - Endive Salad
Saturday - Whole Grilled Sea Bream & Salad
Sunday - DH & I are running a 7 mile obstacle course. So we'll most probably pig out, eat a whole pizza and have beers ! :yay:

kijip
04-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Ok Melissa, here goes. Some I don't have real recipes for but this is what I do for cooking them up:

Taco Soup made with l/o beef

Super easy- slice left over Sunday beef roast (or any cooked meat you need to use) and place in crockpot with 1 large can tomatoes, a chili pepper, 2 cans of Kidney beans, 2 chopped onions, a bunch of taco seasoning (to your taste), 2 cups broth and turn on to medium for the day. When you get home, slice up a couple of red or green bell peppers, slice an avocado, grate some cheddar cheese and warm some tortillas. Serve in a bowl topped with avocado, cheese and bell peppers. This made enough for dinner for us 4, then lunch for J and me 1 weekday. No leftovers.

Chicken with Shrimp and Cheese, Mashed potatoes and Asparagus.

This is something I do with boneless chicken breasts- in a pan, cook some scallions (or onions) plus 3-4 shrimp per chicken breast with a little butter and garlic. slice breasts in the center and fill with a mix of scallions and white, italian cheese, top with parm and the shrimp and then roast in the oven at 3:75 till done. I serve with smooth mashed potatoes and roasted asparagus (one a baking sheet, drizzled with oil and salt under broiler for 4-6 minutes depending on the thickness of the stalks of asparagus). It works well without the shrimp for those who don't like shrimp or who are allergic.

Black eyed peas and greens

This is from the Accidental Vegan book, which has walked off. I don't remember the recipe (which I will post later) but it is your basic pan cooked Kale with prepared or canned black eyed peas. I will serve with a toasted bread with goat cheese and roasted garlic spread. If you don't want vegan, serve with crumbled bacon in the greens. :ROTFLMAO:

BBQ Veggie skewers, salad, Mushroom sandwiches.

I use mushrooms, peppers, onions and cherry tomatoes on the skewers. I marinate in a little Gyoza dipping sauce, usually a bottle from trader joes but any will be fine or make your own or use regular bbq sauce for a different flavor. Skewer the veggies and grill till done. Grill large slices of porta bella at the same time, then make sandwiches on buns using the porta bellas, a spread of roasted garlic (I make my own and keep in fridge), lettuce, onion and tomatoes. Add mustard if you like. Salad is usually simple, Romaine with a ginger dressing for an Gyoza dipping sauce marinade; or oil and vinegar with diced apples for BBQ sauce.

bubbaray
04-28-2010, 01:03 AM
THANK YOU KATIE!!!!! :thumbsup:

zoestargrove
04-28-2010, 10:38 AM
thank you for the chicken gyros recipe! I have the chicken marinating and the yogurt is draining and will try homemade pitas later today! I'm so excited!

I have to admit I typically don't have a week of meals planned out ahead - but, I'm really appreciative to this thread for inspiration!

Kelly

zoestargrove
04-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Reina, good luck with the obstacle course. It sounds like fun and your pizza and beer post race is making me drool.

bnme
04-28-2010, 12:16 PM
thank you for the chicken gyros recipe! I have the chicken marinating and the yogurt is draining and will try homemade pitas later today! I'm so excited!

I have to admit I typically don't have a week of meals planned out ahead - but, I'm really appreciative to this thread for inspiration!

Kelly

Your welcome! I love this recipe and I now make it almost weekly. It comes out soo good. I saute them right in a frying pan, but I can't wait to try them on the grill. Let me know how the pitas turn out. I'm not sure I am brave enough to try that.

Reina
04-28-2010, 12:40 PM
thanks Zoe!
it's called toughmudder. it is going to be a real challenge!
we've been on the zone diet since forever. every now and then pigging out is so much fun...

fauve01
04-28-2010, 01:24 PM
for dinner we almost always have some kind of protein (chicken, fish), along with oven roasted veggies (or steamed broccoli because dd likes is, other days she gets raw carrots), and some kind of grain or pasta (mostly tj tiny cheese filled ravioli from the dry pasta aisle OR TJ harvest grain blend--we ALL LOVE this grain blend). also a salad most nights.
Fri--marinated chicken breasts on the grill, steamed artichokes, side salad, side of pasta

Sat-- big treat of Filet on the grill (the only meat dd will eat lol), with grilled romaine heads (this was so good!), also mashed potatoes and oven roasted skinny green beans and baby carrots.

Sun--Salmon baked in foil in the oven. leftover steamed artichokes, more roasted skinny green beans and carrots (finished the bags of those), side of pasta ravioli and salad.

Mon-- crockpot salsa chicken with a side green salad

Tues-- Turkey burgers on the grill (served with cheddar on top and no buns), also sweet bell peppers on the grill, and oven roasted sweet potato fries, and a side spring mix salad

wed -- tilapia baked in foil in the oven with parmesean on top, with steamed broccoli and roasted asparagus and TJ Grain mix. salad. variation of this recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Baked-Tilapia/Detail.aspx

Thurs--probably enchiladas made with the leftover salsa chicken. salad on the side. DD will have a breaded chicken breast and ravioli.

Fri--not sure yet. maybe grilled chicken again. or maybe this casserole (my go-to pantry recipe)

adapted Paula Deen Chicken Rice Casserole
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can green beans, drained and rinsed
1 big can of chicken, or 2 to 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
Couple handfuls of sliced almonds
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Sprinkle of onion powder
1 package uncle ben's ready whole grain medley brown and wild rice--micro in 90 seconds, cooked according to package directions

handful of cheddar into the casserole and a handful over the top to get crunchy.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased 3-quart casserole dish. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.

zoestargrove
04-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Donna, mmmm! they were delicious! I have a feeling I'll be making them again real soon. You shouldn't feel intimidated by the bread. It was really easy! I made it in my kitchenaid mixer - transferred it to an oiled bowl to rise and then divided it up into pieces to rest,roll, and bake. The bread baking took a little time, because I could only fit 2 on the baking stone at once, but I was chopping veggies and grilling chicken at the same time so it wasn't a big deal.

Reina, ok - just checked it out! WOW!! that looks tough, a little intimidating, but totally stinking FUN! I signed up for the newsletter so that so I could find out when they finalize the details when it comes to Boston in 2011. You have to let me know how it was and how you trained.

Kelly

gatorsmom
04-29-2010, 12:43 AM
Monday: Summer Chicken Stir Fry with brown rice
Tuesday: DH is out of town so leftovers for everyone
Wednesday: DH is still out of town so more leftovers and pb and js
Thursday: Cauliflower-Red pepper Frittata Muffins with a green salad
Friday: Pesto Pizza with Sliced Tomatoes
Saturday and Sunday we usually fly by the seat of our pants. If I have to come up with something quick, though, I'll make Quick Chicken Cacciatore.

recipes- both of these are easy, fast and yummy imho- ETA: I always double these recipes because they usually only make 4 small servings

Quick Chicken Cacciatore
2 teaspoons olive oil
4, 4oz boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
3/4 teaspoon salt divided
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 small yellow or green pepper (or red since they were on sale this week), cut into strips
2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms (have never added these)
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 1/2 cups tomato and basil pasta sauce (such as Classico)
2 tablesoons chopped fresh parsley

Heat oil in large skillet over medhigh heat, add chicken. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper over chicken, cook 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate, set aside.

Combine bell pepper and mushrooms in skillet over med heat. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. cook 4 minutes stirring occasionally. Add wine, cook 2 minutes. Stir in sauce, heat through. return chicken to skillet, reduce heat and simmer turning once, 4 minutes or until cooked through. top with parsley. Makes 4 servings.

Summer Chicken Stir Fry
3 Tablespoons vinaigrette or Italian dressing
3 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into short thin strips
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
2 cups (6 ounces) snow pea pods, cut diagonally in half
1 red or yellow bell pepper, cut into short thin strips (about 1 cup)
4 (1-inch) diagonally cut green onions (about 1/2 cup)
2 Tablesppons minced fresh cilantro

Combine dressing and soy sauce in a medium bowl, add chicken tossing to coat.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add snow peas and bell peppers, stir fry 2 minutes. Add chkcen mixture, stir fry 3 minutes. Add onions, stir fry 1 minute or until chicken is thoroughly heated and vegetables are crisp-tender. Top with cilantro. makes 4 srvings. (I always find that I have to cook the vegies and chicken a bit longer to get them as cooked as Ilike them. ).

I've never made the Cauliflower fritatas before so I won't include that recipe til I know it's good. :tongue5:

marie
05-03-2010, 09:51 AM
mon-stuffed shells
tues-going to family's for supper
wed salsa chicken in the crock pot
thurs-roast chicken and pot in the crock pot
fri-I work so they'll go out or something
sat-date night if we can get a sitter
sun-salsa chicken remade into tortilla something or the other... :)

care to share this recipe? ;)