PDA

View Full Version : Need good smelly item in DD room?

PMJ
04-27-2010, 11:22 AM
So around my house, I use the "airwick" plug ins that are in that translucent / glass like jar thing that glow in the dark. Well, I LOVE them, but they are sooo darn strong. I have it plugged in for about 1-2 hrs and then I have to unplug it b/c it is soo strong.

I need something that smells good and of course Safe to put in DD's room b/c the diapers are starting to stink! (They are in a closed-diaper genie) -- but still when you walk into her room, you can smell it.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

PJ

TwoBees
04-27-2010, 11:23 AM
The Glade plugs in scented oil in vanilla is the only one we can use because it is not too strong. I don't know about safe for a child though.

ETA: I like the BabyGanics lavender spray, but it isn't a continuous fragarance. I also keep a baking soda round at the bottom of DD's diaper genie and spray with lysol every frew bag changes.

wendibird22
04-27-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm a fan of NeutraAir. Strong when you first spray it but makes the stink go away and doesn't leave a lingering floral or fruity odor. And nothing for DD1 to get into or play with.

infomama
04-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Personally I would skip the air freshener and empty the diaper genie more. If you have to have something I would go with a potpourri with lavender or cinnamon. I do like this for in my car though http://www.citrusmagic.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=612112757

urquie
04-27-2010, 11:34 AM
i moved our diaper champ to the hallway when the odor got to strong for dd's room. there is more airflow out there and so no problems with smell.

catpagmo
04-27-2010, 11:41 AM
I always flush poop before putting the diaper in the pail, and just throw the pee diapers in the diaper pail. If there is a diaper w/poop, and I cannot flush it for some reason, I take it to our outside trash can. I haven't had a problem with it being stinky in DS's room.

ETA: We use the diaper dekor.

DrSally
04-27-2010, 11:45 AM
Flushing poop will help. At a certain point, we just put the diaper champ in the garage and one in DD's room and only used the one in her room for pee diapers. The others we just took outside to the garage.

nov04
04-27-2010, 11:48 AM
I always flush poop before putting the diaper in the pail, and just throw the pee diapers in the diaper pail. If there is a diaper w/poop, and I cannot flush it for some reason, I take it to our outside trash can. I haven't had a problem with it being stinky in DS's room.

this is us too.

goldenpig
04-27-2010, 12:02 PM

:yeahthat:

Once they start solids, this is what we do. BF'ed baby poo doesn't stink and is liquid so we just throw those in the Diaper Champ.

maylips
04-27-2010, 12:44 PM
We use an Air Wick freshener that doesn't plug in - it's one of those that has a motion sensor, so it doesn't go off all the time. We also (try) to dump out the poop, but we have a faint dog pee smell from a previous incident so that's why we need it.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-27-2010, 01:16 PM
I like Citrus Magic, or a few drops of tea tree oil. We don't use commercial air fresheners of any kind because of phalates and formaldehyde.

mikeys_mom
04-27-2010, 02:01 PM
I would just stop using the diaper genie. We used it for a long time with DS. With DD#1 we never got around to buying the refill bags and I never missed it. In fact, I realized what a pain it was to constantly change and empty it.

We just put the diapers in our kitchen garbage can, which gets emptied at least once a day into the organics green bin in the garage. Even when we had all 3 girls in diapers at the same time, there was never a smell problem in the kitchen.

salsah
04-27-2010, 05:34 PM
we just put the diapers in the kitchen garbage since that goes out daily. before i started using reusable shopping bags, i had tons of plastic target bags so i would tie up a really stinky diaper in a bag before putting it in the trash. that helped contain the odor until we took the garbage out.

edurnemk
04-28-2010, 01:27 AM
...a few drops of tea tree oil. We don't use commercial air fresheners of any kind because of phalates and formaldehyde.

:yeahthat: I always put a few drops of tea tree or lavender oil in the diaper pail, along with some baking soda in the bottom. We flush the poop, and we've never had stink in DS's bedroom.

alirebco
04-28-2010, 12:43 PM
I would just use something essential oil based. A lot of those mainstream fragrance things are too strong and use a lot of chemicals. I'd be very wary of using in a kid's room.

brittone2
04-28-2010, 01:21 PM
I like Citrus Magic, or a few drops of tea tree oil. We don't use commercial air fresheners of any kind because of phalates and formaldehyde.

shawnandangel
04-28-2010, 01:57 PM
also, just to add: tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic. I just did an experiment in microbiology with it to see if it was also a disinfectant. We were allowed to bring in something from home to test. I tested it against 2 microbes using the lawn technique and the zone of inhibition (place where bacteria did not grow on dish around the little paper disc that i had soaked in oil) around both was pretty substantial, although smaller around the Pneumoniae aeriginosa. The other bacteria tested was Bacillus megaterium. Really wish I could have tested E. coli but someone got it before me.

Anyway, I was pretty happy with these results because oil does not diffuse easily on the growth medium we used and my professor warned me that I might not get the best results.

twowhat?
04-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Dump the poop in the toilet (if they are solid enough).

Empty the diaper genie more often, or

Move the diaper genie into the garage.

I always hate adding scents cuz all you're doing is covering up the smell - the stink is still there, it's just mixed in with whatever air freshener you use!

The only "air freshener" we use is the Aura Cacia sprays that are just spring water and essential oils. The lavendar spray is REALLY strong (one spritz will "decon" the bathroom!), and orange patchouli spray is also REALLY strong (one spritz!) and they have another "flavor" that I can't remember...mint something...it's not quite as strong but a nice refreshing smell. They all smell great - just like you'd think they would smell:)

SnuggleBuggles
04-28-2010, 02:08 PM
Flush the poop, keep the can somewhere else and skip the chemical scented things. They are air pollutants, imo, and no good for any of us to be breathing in.

Beth

♥ms.pacman♥
04-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Flush the poop, keep the can somewhere else and skip the chemical scented things. They are air pollutants, imo, and no good for any of us to be breathing in.

Beth

i get major headaches from air fresheners, literally..wish they would stop being used everywhere, esp doctor's offices etc. the other day we were visiting DH's relatives and they happened to have one of those timed air fresheners mounted on the wall. well it just so happened that DH was carrying DS and right when DS's face was near it, it sprayed the scent out and freaked out DS. not to mention the smell was so strong i had a really bad headache for the rest of the day. ugh.

KpbS
04-28-2010, 03:22 PM
we just put the diapers in the kitchen garbage since that goes out daily. before i started using reusable shopping bags, i had tons of plastic target bags so i would tie up a really stinky diaper in a bag before putting it in the trash. that helped contain the odor until we took the garbage out.

:yeahthat: I gave up on keeping smelly dipes in the house. :waving4: