PDA

View Full Version : what age for the exersaucer/jumperoo etc?

doberbrat
04-27-2010, 01:46 PM
I know they're to be used sparingly and I think w/dd1 we did 30min or less a day. But I was surprised to hear from dd1 that dd2 has already been in one at dc. She's 4.5mo.

I thought they were supposed to be 6mo and mobile first? She isnt sitting but does have excellent trunk muscles - likes to stand, and has good balence if you hold her hands, she'll stand on our lap etc.

w/dd1 we told dc NO exersaucer time so we could use it at home ourself.

CharlotteMommy
04-27-2010, 04:47 PM
We started DC on the jumperoo at around 5 months. He LOVED it until he was about 9 months and crawling. He tolerates it now for short periods of time (5 mins). We had heard that once they go mobile, they are not interested in being contained in the jumperoo or anything else. Proved true for us, but YMMV.

mecawa
04-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Both of my girls started using those around 5 months and had lost interest by 9 months.

smiles33
04-27-2010, 05:59 PM
I think the instructions say as long as they can hold their head up unassisted (5 months or so). Honestly, I actually would prefer my daycare NOT put DD in any jumperoo/exersaucer as I don't know if other folks adhere to the 20-30 min max per day rule that seems to be common among BBB parents. Have you talked with them about it?

scrooks
04-27-2010, 09:05 PM
I think about 4.5 months or so with both kids. They both had early excellent head control but required a little propping with a small blanket so they wouldn't flop forward. DS still loves it. I think DD was done with it by 9 months.

lchang25000
04-27-2010, 11:39 PM
We first put DS in it when he was around 5 months and he wasn't very interested, but we would still put him in there for a little bit everyday. He started loving it around 7-8 months when he enjoyed jumping/playing in it. He's 15.5 months now and still wants to get in there every now and then!

PMJ
04-28-2010, 02:04 PM
I just started DD in an Exersaucer (3-in one Stages Triple play Evenflo) at 6 months.

Why only 30 min a day?

brittone2
04-29-2010, 12:05 PM
I just started DD in an Exersaucer (3-in one Stages Triple play Evenflo) at 6 months.

Why only 30 min a day?

There are concerns about a potential impact on development. I worked as a physical therapist in EI prior to having my kids, and the vast majority in my field are pretty anti-saucer/walker/jumper use. At the very least, they advocate only 20-30 mins a day max, but it is hard for many parents to keep track (15 mins while you shower, 20 mins while you cook dinner, 10 mins during a phone call, etc. starts to add up quickly). The child should always be removed before that if starting to slump/slouch or head sort of tipping over, etc.

If a child is at risk of delays (for example a preemie, or a child late or not meeting milestones) most therapists I know would advocate skipping a saucer, walker or jumper entirely.

There are many old threads on the topic if you search the archives about why a parent might want to not use or limit use.

Ceepa
04-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Doesn't have to wait until 6 mos. We put DC in at 4-5 mos. We started when they could hold up heads, have good trunk strength. We did fold a blanket and put it in the seat behind them because the seat cavity was so large.

doberbrat
04-29-2010, 12:36 PM
I think the instructions say as long as they can hold their head up unassisted (5 months or so). Honestly, I actually would prefer my daycare NOT put DD in any jumperoo/exersaucer as I don't know if other folks adhere to the 20-30 min max per day rule that seems to be common among BBB parents. Have you talked with them about it?

Not yet. she's only there 2x a week now so and Ionly pu 1x a week. I know she's going to love it b/c she much prefers standing to sitting and has since day 1. she has excellent head-holding strength. was in her bumbo at 5w not at all slumpy.

I was just surprised they put her in it so young. I think I'm going to tell them to cut it out b/c I know they wont keep it to 20-30min.

thanks everyone