PDA

View Full Version : How do I wash the pesticides off?

gatorsmom
04-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Confession: I don't always buy organic. Sometimes it's not available and sometimes i can't quite swallow the price (pun intended). So, it occurred to me as I was rinsing off some grapes, that I might not have gotten all the pesticides off. Grapes get that waxy coating on them and I am not going to take the time to wipe that all off.

So, did I miss a memo? Is there a certain amount of time to let the water run over my grapes or strawberries, or cauliflower, etc., to make sure the majority of the yuckies are gone? Do I need to do anything else to get ride of them? Because I have no idea.

TIA!!

infomama
04-27-2010, 06:01 PM
I use the same thing I use on my floors...50/50 water and vinegar. I did this last night with some non organic broccoli and Dd1 was mortified until I reminded her what was in salad dressing ;). I can see/feel a difference after I use it on produce.
I tried that fit wash spray stuff and it gave me an upset stomach.

Katigre
04-27-2010, 06:04 PM
The pesticides are not only on the outside of the skin, they are also inside the fruit because the pesticides permeate the soil and are drawn up into the growing plant.

The tests the government does that determine which produce has the most pesticide residue is done AFTER the produce has been thoroughly washed/rinsed/dried.

I can't always buy organic either, so what I do is not buy the Dirty Dozen non-organic and then don't worry much about the rest. http://www.foodnews.org/fulllist.php

infomama
04-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Lookie here http://www.greendaily.com/2007/10/01/vinegar-and-water-gets-fresh-fruit-the-cleanest-better-than-s/

wellyes
04-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Vinegar rinses are great but I don't know if they do much for pesticide residue. More for getting fruit / veggies clean (from bacteria). Pick and choose what you buy organically. I skip apples unless I can find organic ones, but "conventional" is just fine for bananas and oranges.

Handy list from http://www.care2.com/greenliving/the-top-10-foods-to-eat-organically.html

High-pesticide food: Strawberries
Main nutrient: Vitamin C
Healthy alternatives: Blueberries, raspberries, oranges, grapefruit, kiwifruit, watermelon

High-pesticide food: Bell peppers
Healthy alternatives: Green peas, broccoli, romaine, lettuce

High-pesticide food: Spinach
Main nutrient: Vitamins A and C
Healthy alternatives: Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, asparagus

High-pesticide food: Cherries
Healthy alternatives: Oranges, blueberries, raspberries, kiwifruit, blackberries, grapefruit

High-pesticide food: Peaches
Healthy alternatives: Nectarines, watermelon, tangerines, oranges, grapefruit

High-pesticide food: Mexican cantaloupe
and potassium
Healthy alternatives: U.S. cantaloupe grown from May to December, watermelon

High-pesticide food: Celery
Main nutrient: Carotenoids
Healthy alternatives: Carrots, broccoli, radishes, romaine lettuce

High-pesticide food: Apples
Healthy alternatives: Watermelon, nectarines, bananas, tangerines

High-pesticide food: Apricots
Main nutrient: Vitamins A an C and potassium
Healthy alternatives: Nectarines, watermelon, oranges, tangerines

High-pesticide food: Green beans
Main nutrient: Potassium
Healthy alternatives: Green peas, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, potatoes, asparagus

ThreeofUs
04-27-2010, 06:15 PM
I think this is in infomama's post, but 3 parts water to one part vinegar will take most of the bacteria off the fruit.

Pesticides ... well, there's the problem. I can tell you that thin-skinned fruits/veggies absorb the most pesticides and there is just no getting around that.