PDA

View Full Version : Have you read "The Hunger Games"?

Corie
04-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Have you read the book, "The Hunger Games"?

It is a teen book. It is GREAT!!!

MelissaTC
04-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Yes and Catching Fire. Can't wait for the final book and the movie!

Corie
04-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Yes and Catching Fire. Can't wait for the final book and the movie!

It's killing me that I have to wait until August 24th for book three!!

cilantromapuche
04-27-2010, 08:48 PM
LOVED it and can't wait for the third one either. It took me a while to pick up the first and then I was hooked and couldn't stand waiting for the second. I love it when I find a series that is already complete because then I don't have to wait.

blisstwins
04-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Oye. So depressing. I had to read it for work (teacher).

billysmommy
04-27-2010, 09:05 PM
I just started it last night....

Corie
04-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Oye. So depressing. I had to read it for work (teacher).

Do you have any other teen book recommendations??

I did find this website helpful for young adult books recs.

http://www.cynthialeitichsmith.com/lit_resources/awards/stateawards.html

fivi2
04-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Loved Hunger Games. I didn't love the sequel as much, but still looking forward to number 3.

As far as other recs, what sort of books do you like?

I enjoyed Kristen Cashore's Graceling. (sequel is Fire. Didn't like it as much, but still enjoyable. It is fantasy with a bit of romance, but I liked it)

Megan Whalen Turner's trilogy that starts with The Thief was also great. (Thief was the best of the 3, imo, but the others are still good). Fantasy-ish, but not much magic or anything.

Heavier books, but well -written - The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak.

The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing Traitor to the Nation by MT Anderson. Vol 1 is The Pox Party. I haven't read volume 2. They are an alternate history sort of thing.

Dystopian books like Hunger Games are pretty big in YA lit right now, but I haven't found any quite as good as Hunger Games. The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan is pretty good, there will be (or already is) a sequel. Feed by MT Anderson. Susan Beth Pfeffer has a couple dystopians out, but I only liked the first one - Life as We Knew It. The Compound by SA Bodeen was okay. I did not like The Knife of Never Letting Go, but a lot of other people seem to. If you go to the Amazon Hunger Games page, you can get some other ideas of similar books.

Lament and Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (there are sequels) are both good. Fairies and were-wolves urban fantasy.

I like Holly Black's Faerie trilogy - starts with Tithe. (urban fantasy)

Scott Westerfeld is a popular YA witer. His Uglies books (sort of dystopian) are more popular, but I preferred his Midnighters trilogy. His Leviathan (steampunk) is pretty good.

I also like Garth Nix, especially his Abhorsen books (fantasy).

Those were just random thoughts of YA books that I have enjoyed.

billysmommy
04-28-2010, 12:31 PM
I'd asked my cousin and her daughter for some YA recommendations about a month or so ago and this is the list they gave me of ones they both liked

City of Bones
City of Ashes
City of Glass
Beautiful Creatures
Fallen
Shiver
Evernight & Stargazer
Shadowland
Blue Moon
Evermore
Wings
Also all of the House of Night books

okinawama
04-28-2010, 01:04 PM
yup, I liked it as well, but I can't seem to get the second one on my kindle. hoping it's available soon.

Corie
04-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Those were just random thoughts of YA books that I have enjoyed.

WOW!! Thanks for the great recommendations!!!

Are you a big YA reader? How did you find all these books? I wouldn't
even know where to begin. All the book covers look the same in the YA
section!!

Cam&Clay
04-28-2010, 09:46 PM
I just read Found by Margaret Haddix. It was great. Imagine...an airplane mysteriously appears at an airport with no pilot. Strapped into each seat is a baby. What happened to those babies?

The sequel is Sent. I just ordered it for my library. I might need to sneak it before I let the kids have access. Shhhh....

Corie
04-28-2010, 10:27 PM
I have added way too many books to my Amazon shopping cart!

fivi2
04-28-2010, 10:51 PM
WOW!! Thanks for the great recommendations!!!

Are you a big YA reader? How did you find all these books? I wouldn't
even know where to begin. All the book covers look the same in the YA
section!!

lol - I read a bunch of YA and Middle Grade stuff. I check most of them out of the library; we have a great hold system. I play around on Amazon (see what other customers who bought books I like also bought). I also find suggestions on blogs and other boards I visit.

I tend to read fantasy/urban fantasy/horror with some other stuff thrown in. I think the ones I suggested are all well-written enough that you might like them even if they aren't your usual genre. If you have a genre preference, I could maybe find some other recs.

A couple other ones that are not fantasy:

The Year of Secret Assignments - Jaclyn Moriarty. I thought this was pretty cute - kind of light and fluffy.

any of John Green's - Looking for Alaska, An Abundance of Katherines, Paper Towns.

13 Reasons Why - forget the author. Sad but good.

Sloppy Firsts - Megan Mc something. "chick lit" cute, fluffy. Someone here recommended. There are sequels.

HTH!

eta: in my first post, if I were ranking my suggestions, I would probably say my faves were:

Nix- Abhorsen books
Whalen Turner - The Thief etc.
Cashore - Graceling
Westerfeld - Midnighters and Uglies.

then John Green (any) from this page (might move up depending on my mood :) ).

The other suggestions were all ones I liked, but the above were my favorites.

Corie
04-29-2010, 08:57 AM
Thank you so much!!!!

Kymberley
04-29-2010, 09:01 AM
I love The Hunger Games and the second book, got the third pre-ordered. And now, I'm going to scour Amazon for the new list that I have, thanks to you guys! LOL, DH is not going to like this!

KrystalS
04-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Lament and Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (there are sequels) are both good. Fairies and were-wolves urban fantasy.

I really liked Shiver too, Lament was okay but not as good as Shiver. I can't wait for the sequel, it comes out this summer sometime. If you are a Twilight fan you will like Shiver.
I'll have to check out the Hunger Games and some of the others recommended, I also enjoy YA books.

Corie
04-29-2010, 11:37 AM
I really liked Shiver too, Lament was okay but not as good as Shiver. I can't wait for the sequel, it comes out this summer sometime. If you are a Twilight fan you will like Shiver.
I'll have to check out the Hunger Games and some of the others recommended, I also enjoy YA books.

I had Shiver in my hand yesterday at Borders but I could NOT remember for
the life of me if it was on the list.

I bought If I Stay... instead. We'll see how it is.

But I did add Shiver to my Amazon cart along with a few others. :)

fivi2
04-29-2010, 02:27 PM

I liked Shiver better also. I haven't read the sequel yet. I did read Lament and Ballad, but they are not my favorites.

I read most of my books from the library, so my standards may be low (since I am not paying for them!) I also tend to be a bit behind on the current books because of wait lists, etc.

I haven't heard of If I Stay - I'll have to look into that one! eta: the reviews on Amazon are all great, but it looks way too sad for me! I can't handle sad books!

KrystalS
04-29-2010, 02:45 PM
I had Shiver in my hand yesterday at Borders but I could NOT remember for
the life of me if it was on the list.

I bought If I Stay... instead. We'll see how it is.

But I did add Shiver to my Amazon cart along with a few others. :)

If I Stay is really good, I couldn't put it down.

I liked Shiver better also. I haven't read the sequel yet. I did read Lament and Ballad, but they are not my favorites.

The sequel, Linger, comes out July 20th. I've also heard they might make Shiver into a movie.

KrystalS
04-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Since you were asking for suggestions, the Gone series by Micheal Grant is also really good. There is Gone, Hunger, and the 3rd book in the series Lies comes out next week.

fivi2
04-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Since you were asking for suggestions, the Gone series by Micheal Grant is also really good. There is Gone, Hunger, and the 3rd book in the series Lies comes out next week.

I liked Gone, also. However I could not get into the second one at all - it went back to the library mostly unread. But that might have just been my mood :)

I really need to set up my lists on library thing and then we could all share recs since we seem to have similar taste in books! http://www.librarything.com/

Corie
04-30-2010, 04:28 PM
I really need to set up my lists on library thing and then we could all share recs since we seem to have similar taste in books! http://www.librarything.com/

How do you remember all these books and which ones you liked?

You gave me such a great list! I was surprised that you could remember
all those books!

I was actually thinking about keeping a log in a composition book. I thought
it might be fun for my DD to use as a reference. I don't know.

hellokitty
04-30-2010, 05:44 PM
This is a REALLY good thread. Off to add these to my goodreads list!

fivi2
04-30-2010, 05:55 PM
How do you remember all these books and which ones you liked?

You gave me such a great list! I was surprised that you could remember
all those books!

I was actually thinking about keeping a log in a composition book. I thought
it might be fun for my DD to use as a reference. I don't know.

Well, I don't remember all of them, which is why I want to set up a library thing account. :) I think shelfari is similar... They both seem pretty cool and you can get recs from others. I do have notebooks with lists of books scrawled everywhere, but it starts to look a little psycho - lol.

I wish the library would keep my check out history in my on-line account, but I don't think they do.

I have a bunch of posts from various message boards bookmarked and I read some of those to jog my memory. I hang out on some book oriented sites (as a lurker) so they stay fresher in my mind. I read various blogs. I do own some of the ones I mentioned so they are on my bookshelf. I have certain authors that I remember and they will trigger the memory of another one. Or I go to Amazon and scroll through the "customers who liked this also like..." and the pictures and descriptions will help me remember.

But honestly I usually have about 15 books checked out of the library at any given time so I really don't come close to remembering what I have read, unless I liked it a lot or it has been mentioned a lot in various places.

Shrug. I read a lot and I am slightly ocd :D

Corie
04-30-2010, 09:09 PM
This is a REALLY good thread. Off to add these to my goodreads list!

Did you see that Rick Riordan (author of the Percy Jackson books)
has a new book coming out on May 4th? It's called The Red Pyramid.

Corie
04-30-2010, 09:29 PM
I have a bunch of posts from various message boards bookmarked and I read some of those to jog my memory. I hang out on some book oriented sites (as a lurker) so they stay fresher in my mind. I read various blogs.

Can you recommend the book oriented sites/blogs/message boards that you
like to visit? I would love to check them out. Are they dedicated to YA books?

YA books are really my favorite age group. :)

Corie
05-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (there are sequels) are both good. Fairies and were-wolves urban fantasy.

Just finished Shiver! It was great!!

billysmommy
05-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Just finished Shiver! It was great!!

I just finished it too. I loved it!!!

The Red Pyramid is next on my list after I finish The Last Olympian. I really enjoyed the Percy Jackson series. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie The Lightning Thief ~ it's out on dvd June 22nd

Corie
05-10-2010, 07:45 AM
I just finished it too. I loved it!!!

The Red Pyramid is next on my list after I finish The Last Olympian. I really enjoyed the Percy Jackson series. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie The Lightning Thief ~ it's out on dvd June 22nd

I read all the Percy Jackson books and I loved them!! I have The Red Pyramid
sitting here ready to be read.

I may read The Thief first though. Or Fallen. I have a big stack of books to
read now thanks to this thread. :)

KrystalS
05-10-2010, 09:49 AM
I may read The Thief first though. Or Fallen. I have a big stack of books to
read now thanks to this thread. :)

Let us know if you like Fallen. I always see it when I search for books on Amazon and just can't decide if I would enjoy it or not. We seem the like the same types of books so I trust your opinion!

Corie
05-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Let us know if you like Fallen. I always see it when I search for books on Amazon and just can't decide if I would enjoy it or not. We seem the like the same types of books so I trust your opinion!

I'm almost done with Fallen! It is great! You need to read it!

I've got about 50 pages left...gotta go!

KrystalS
05-14-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm almost done with Fallen! It is great! You need to read it!

I've got about 50 pages left...gotta go!

Thanks! I'm almost done with Hunger Games, trying to read it slowly because I didn't have another book picked out yet!

Corie
05-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks! I'm almost done with Hunger Games, trying to read it slowly because I didn't have another book picked out yet!

Well, you need to read book #2 Catching Fire. It is just as good as Hunger Games!

fivi2
05-16-2010, 03:44 PM
Glad you liked Shiver!

I need to read Fallen - I saw it at the library the last time and didn't grab it. I didn't realize the new Riordan was out!

Go read The Thief! ;)

Corie
05-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Glad you liked Shiver!

I need to read Fallen - I saw it at the library the last time and didn't grab it. I didn't realize the new Riordan was out!

Go read The Thief! ;)

I think I'm going to start The Thief tonight! That or the new Riordan...

fivi2
05-23-2010, 04:01 PM
I picked up Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (http://www.amazon.com/Before-I-Fall-Lauren-Oliver/dp/006172680X) at the library the other day. I had it mixed up in my head with If I Stay you guys talked about earlier in the thread.

Anyway - it was a bit depressing, but I liked it. I would recommend checking it out of the library instead of buying it, but it was good. A little repetitive, but the author writes well enough that I remained interested.

Sadly I am number 30 on the list for the new Riordan, so it will be a while before I get to it!

Corie
06-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Just finished The Forest of Hands and Teeth. Loved it.
I read it in a day. Couldn't put it down.

fivi2
06-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Just finished The Forest of Hands and Teeth. Loved it.
I read it in a day. Couldn't put it down.

I think she has a sequel out. And I think they are making Forest into a movie.
Glad you liked it!

I did read If I Stay the other day (after mixing it up with Before I Fall). Anyway - it was okay, but not really my style. It was well written, I just didn't like the way it was set up. I wasn't really motivated to keep reading.

I also read Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers. I liked it (library - I wouldn't buy it). I will probably read her other one (Some Girls Are). It isn't my usual genre and I have definitely reached my limit of "issue" books, but it was good.

So I moved onto The Maze Runner by somebody Dashner. More middle grade, but so far pretty good!

kboyle
07-06-2010, 11:29 PM
why did i have to come across this thread? i've got hunger games reserved at the library and am picking up shiver after work tomorrow...i work next door to a borders so books are my addiction! esp YA Lit!

i have 2 started books and am about to pick up more...why???

and i think i'm gonna try to read a book on my kindle ipod touch app. i figure a YA book might be a bit easier to read on there than my normal murder mysteries, lol.

fivi2
07-07-2010, 09:35 AM
why did i have to come across this thread? i've got hunger games reserved at the library and am picking up shiver after work tomorrow...i work next door to a borders so books are my addiction! esp YA Lit!

i have 2 started books and am about to pick up more...why???

and i think i'm gonna try to read a book on my kindle ipod touch app. i figure a YA book might be a bit easier to read on there than my normal murder mysteries, lol.

Ha! There are some good recs on this thread.

I did finish The Maze Runner. It was good. Sort of a dystopian like Hunger Games, but it doesn't have as much depth on character emotions etc. (and may swing a little more toward middle grade than HG). I have heard it described as more of a "boy book" than HG. But - it was interesting and I would rec checking it out of library. I do believe it is book one of a trilogy so a bit of a cliff hanger at the end.

Cam&Clay
07-07-2010, 09:54 AM
I finished Catching Fire last night and have pre-ordered Mockingjay. I cannot wait. These books are fabulous!

Corie
07-12-2010, 10:12 PM
I finished Catching Fire last night and have pre-ordered Mockingjay. I cannot wait. These books are fabulous!

I know! I'm so excited!

Did you read The Forest of Hands & Teeth? I really liked that one too.