PDA

View Full Version : Birthing Center in Toronto, Canada

soontobe
04-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Does anyone know of any birthing centers in Toronto (preferably ones located inside hospitals)? Just trying to do a little research thanks!!!

mikeys_mom
04-27-2010, 10:34 PM
The health care system is very different here in Canada. What would be your definition of a birthing center?

There are lots of birthing options available here through the hospitals, including using a midwife. AFAIK I don't think there are any specific birthing centers, but I could be wrong.

soontobe
04-28-2010, 08:48 AM
I used to live in Toronto before I moved to NYC for my dh to finish school. we are thinking of moving back and I wanted to know if I would have the same birthing options as I did here with ds.

by birthing center I mean a place (sometimes within a hospital, but a separate department) where the focus is on a natural birth. no internentions (forceps, induction, epidural etc) they don't keep you on your back in bed, only monitor you for a few minutes when needed and you can be in whatever position you want, you can eat, drink.......

I had that hear with ds and it was THE BEST!!! anyways I want to find an option like that in Toronto for when we hopefully move back. Thanks for any leads you might have:)

bubbaray
04-28-2010, 08:52 AM
I've never heard of birthing centers anywhere in Canada.

mikeys_mom
04-28-2010, 09:47 AM
I'm in Toronto. A few of my friends have used midwives. The birth takes place at the hospital, but the doctors are not involved unless there is a medical situation that the midwives can't handle. They had the type of birth that you described. There is no separate department in the hospital for that type of birth. I am pretty sure that they gave birth at the hospital and then had the option to move into the post-partum room to stay overnight or go home. Both my friends that used midwives chose to go home a few hours after the birth.

Feel free to PM me if you want any specific names of Drs/Midwives and hospitals.