PDA

View Full Version : Best way to curl fine hair for dance recital? UPDATE!!! Pics added!

ohiomom1121
04-27-2010, 11:44 PM
DD's hair is fine with a lot of natural wave to it. For her dance recital they want the girls to wear their hair really curly. Every time we have used the curling iron or hot rollers it falls out within an hour or so. How do I get those curls to stay? I remember wearing those horrible pink rollers to bed when I was little and having Shirley Temple huge hair...is that my only option? I loved Anna's big curly hair on Dancing with the Stars tonight and would love DD's to be look like that!!!

sariana
04-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Have you used gel? Gel a strip, roll it onto a curler, and then blow dry.

Seriously, though, if you find a better answer, please let me know. My hair won't hold anything. It is just so fine, but I have a lot of it, so it is heavy and just sits there.

ohiomom1121
04-28-2010, 08:50 AM
I've tried tons of products, and as the curls come out her hair looks stringy/dirty. I'm at a loss because my hair would still be curly the next day with hot rollers.

bubbaray
04-28-2010, 08:54 AM
Curly hair extensions? Possibly a wig? You might be able to borrow one (ewwww?!) from someone who does Irish dance.

You could try rag rolls -- Sally's has them.

ohiomom1121
04-28-2010, 08:59 AM
I've never tried rag rolls?! I'll go check out Sally's later. They are supposed to pull the front of their hair back and I thought about putting some kind of extension in the top. Any idea where to buy those? Ick on borrowing!!

bubbaray
04-28-2010, 09:03 AM
http://www.sallybeauty.com/Curlformers/HAIRFLAR01,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair14-01

KpbS
04-28-2010, 09:12 AM
I would use those old foam rollers--they really work and the curl lasted a long time when we were little with not only fine hair, but hair with no wave. GL!

ThreeofUs
04-28-2010, 09:41 AM
I wore the foam rollers to bed, but they weren't the big/awkward ones, they were smaller and weren't a problem to sleep on. It's the only thing that would curl my hair, which was fine/straight when I was little, permanently enough to survive a dance recital.

GL!

misshollygolightly
04-28-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm not sure if this will work as well with your daughter's hair, but when I need my hair really curly I'll spray it with strong hairspray and then curl it with a curling iron, and then re-spray it. Seems to work!

ohiomom1121
04-28-2010, 09:50 AM
I think I'll go to Sally's and pick up some of the curlformers and sponge rollers and give them both a trial run. I had never heard of curlformers and found this http://www.babesinhairland.com/2009/10/twists-curlformers.html This little girl's hair is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!

ohiomom1121
06-11-2010, 07:33 PM
So I got the curlformers...we did a trial run and the curls were very soft waves. So for tonight's dress rehearsal I curled it again but put gel in and the curls are awesome!!! Long spiral curls everywhere. I'm thrilled with the results (they've been out for 5 hours and it's still completely curly). Thanks for the recommendation bubbaray!!!

bubbaray
06-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Woohoo! Have fun! :)

hillview
06-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Have you tried to braid it wet and let it dry overnight. Little tight braids (like 20+). I used to do that when I was little. I have thicker hair etc.
/hillar

ohiomom1121
06-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Have you tried to braid it wet and let it dry overnight. Little tight braids (like 20+). I used to do that when I was little. I have thicker hair etc.
/hillar
Yes, but it looks more like one of those crimping irons from the 80s!! :D

kransden
06-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Just an FYI, you can use stale i.e. opened beer as a setting lotion instead of gel if you want a more natural solution.

Cuckoomamma
06-12-2010, 07:11 PM
I've never seen curlformers before. Would they work on very long hair? Both our girls have hair down to their waist and the curls always fall out.

TIA

hillview
06-12-2010, 07:16 PM
I feel like we need pics!!
/hillary

ohiomom1121
06-12-2010, 08:16 PM
I've never seen curlformers before. Would they work on very long hair? Both our girls have hair down to their waist and the curls always fall out.

TIA

They come in several lengths, I got the long and narrow ones. Her hair is a little past hallf way down her back and there was definitely more room in the curlers. I'll post some pics once I get them uploaded. :)

Cuckoomamma
06-12-2010, 10:32 PM
I loved that link that was posted with the mom who does her little girl's hair. Would just love to see your pictures. We just had our recital, but would love ideas for the next one or just for fun :-)

ohiomom1121
06-16-2010, 07:54 AM
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0d835b3127ccefa09ad91cdfb00000030O00AbtW7Jo1ZOW IPbz4A/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

elephantmeg
06-16-2010, 08:05 AM
so freaking cute! Her mainly but the hair as well! I can tell she loved her curls!!!!!!

SammyeGail
06-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Awesome!! She's so beautiful!! I want to buy some curlformers for me now ;).

I had seen your post but didn't reply since you had gotten the curlformers. I love those long curls!

My mom used to curl my hair by rolling up little sections, while wet, into little circles up to my roots, then securing them with bobby pins in an X. They were tighter curls. Imagine starting from the end, rolling it up (like a compressed spring) the size you want the curl until you get to the roots or close, then put in as many bobby pins as needed to secure well. It took mine a while to dry because it was thick. I did my nieces when she was around 11, her hair never curled. I can find a pic I took of the back, scan and post it. Just thought I'd throw it out there for another idea for a Mama, for some fun. Its great because your DD can sleep in them. It took almost a day for my niece's to dry.

Don't mean to take over ohiomom1121! Your DD looks/is gorgeous! I really love those longer curls, I'll probably have some curlformers ordered by the end of the day :D.

ohiomom1121
06-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks!! She definitely loved her whole look (and keeps asking to wear make up now...ugh) I tried the curlers on myself and got a curlier version of my natural curls. They are really easy to put in after you get the hang of it.

MamaKath
06-16-2010, 05:10 PM
My mom used to curl my hair by rolling up little sections, while wet, into little circles up to my roots, then securing them with bobby pins in an X.
Heehee, I remember being put in pincurls too!

Ohiomom- Your daughter looks absolutely adorable!!! Love the curls!!! How hard was it to put into those things? They look like they are wrapped around somehow.

AngelaS
06-16-2010, 05:22 PM
After reading this thread, I bought some curlformers for my girls' hair too and they worked great! They're super easy to use--you stick the hook up inside the curlformer--which straightens it, then you pull the hair down the inside of the curlformer and it spirals back up. Then you wait for the hair to dry. :) Adorable!

ohiomom1121
06-16-2010, 05:26 PM
After reading this thread, I bought some curlformers for my girls' hair too and they worked great! They're super easy to use--you stick the hook up inside the curlformer--which straightens it, then you pull the hair down the inside of the curlformer and it spirals back up. Then you wait for the hair to dry. :) Adorable!

You just explained that so much better than I would have. :) Glad they worked for you too-I'm a huge fan!!!

sunnyside
06-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Awwwwwwwww she's too cute with her curls!