PDA

View Full Version : Rec a bike for an almost 4yo...with pedals?

geochick
04-28-2010, 04:39 PM
My dd's 4th birthday is coming up. Her 6yo brother just learned to ride his Trek Float bike. We LOVE that thing. My little one only has a small balance bike. Ever since her brother has learned to ride, the little one has been practicing and practicing on her Kettler balance bike. She's now really good at it. Unlike the Float, the Kettler doesn't have the option to add pedals. So we need a new bike for a tall 3 (almost 4)yo.

Can you recommend a kid-approved bike with pedals? Her Kettler is pretty short (12-14", I'm guessing), so I don't want something huge at this point. The Float is a little too big for her.

WatchingThemGrow
04-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Could you pass down the Float and move him up to a 20"? And just let her grow into the float in a few months? My DD is a touch too short for it also, so I got a free 12" bike on CL and had the pedals and cranks removed. It's the perfect size between the Hotwalk and the Float.

geochick
04-28-2010, 11:51 PM
I'd really like to get her a bike that fits now. She will eventually get the Float, but I can't imagine her learning on a bike that's just a bit too big.

WatchingThemGrow
04-29-2010, 07:13 AM
That makes sense, safety-wise. What about a 12" specialized or trek or giant from CL? They may be sort of hard to come by, but I can't fathom buying a cheap bike from Target or Walmart. Think I was scarred by a cheap bike when I was little.