PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for a "big bed"??

teedeedee
04-28-2010, 08:50 PM
DD is almost 23 months. She slept in the pack n play at Grandma's (my MIL) about every other weekend until 2 weeks ago. They have a twin bed in the room she stays in when she is there. One of the nights she was there, she just refused to get in the PNP and said she wanted to sleep on the bed instead. So, Grandma laid beside her for awhile and she fell right asleep and slept all night long (even after G-ma got up). And slept there the next night happily.

I am 22 weeks pregnant and we will eventually use her crib for DC2, but I was thinking DC2 would be in a bassinet in our room for several months so we wouldn't need the crib until DD was around 2.5 or so...BUT putting her to bed in the crib is becoming more of a struggle. We do have a twin mattress we could put on the floor for her to sleep on. Is it too soon??

scrooks
04-28-2010, 09:20 PM
I don't think so. We kept DD in her crib but she changed rooms. We may sure to do it well in advance of the arrival of DS. We didn't want her to feel like she was being forced to give up her room for her new sibling....I would think you would want her transitioned and settled in the twin bed before the baby arrives.

SnuggleBuggles
04-28-2010, 09:21 PM
I know lots of people who make the switch at that age so it isn't too early. But, I know I like cribs and will keep ds2 in his as long as possible. :) Special occasions, like at g'ma's is one thing but for every nap and bedtime it could be a different story.

Beth

wellyes
04-28-2010, 09:39 PM
We made the switch at that age. I was getting nervous about her trying to climb out of the crib. It took about a week, maybe a little less. The transition was easier than I expected.

Only part I don't love about it is that I'm pg too and getting up & down off the floor is more of a pain. But I have a toddler bed. If she'll be on a twin mattress you can lie down & snuggle with her. That'd be nice.

I'm due in July but we expect to keep #2 in our room in a bassinet until Sept or later, then they'll share a room. We disassembled the crib and I like that DD has so much open space for playing in her room for these summer months while she'll have to get used to the new baby.

HIU8
04-28-2010, 09:56 PM
DS was 26 months when we made the switch. I was 16 wks pg at the time. I'm glad we did it then. DS switched rooms and got a new bed and it took almost the rest of my pregnancy for him to get used to it all. I'm also glad I did it b/c DD slept in our room in a cradle fro 3 weeks. I had to move her. She was sooooo loud that I got no sleep at all.

KrisM
04-28-2010, 09:58 PM
DS1 and DD were each around 25 months. I wasn't pregnant, but had a newborn each time. I think DD was about 6 days old when DS1 moved and DS2 was closer to 2 weeks when DD moved.

It was trouble for a couple days and then fine.