PDA

View Full Version : Does DC wear a sleep sack?

TwoBees
04-29-2010, 11:02 AM
We have one or two, but rarely use it. Right now DD is just wearing a sleep-n-play to bed and we use a space heater to keep her room at a constant temp. Is a sleep sack a necessary type of thing, or is it personal preference, just like some adults like heavy blankets and some just like a sheet?

WatchingThemGrow
04-29-2010, 11:06 AM
All ours did last night. DD sometimes doesn't, but she's getting better about keeping a blanket on her. I think the sleepsack, lovey, sound machine, and consistent bedtime is what makes them (historically) excellent sleepers!

We use fleece for winter, lightweight for summer, and we vary the footed sleeper/non footed/short sleeve/short pants/socks combination under the sleepsack.

viba424
04-29-2010, 11:07 AM
I have like three and never used them. :6: Dont know why, just seemed we were so worried about her overheating this winter when she was born, we just used the simple footed sleepers and a LS onesie, and we knew they wouldnt ride up. We just never got around to experimenting with those.

mikeys_mom
04-29-2010, 11:09 AM
I have swaddled all my kids until around 6 months old and then transitioned to a sleep sack. I typically use the sleep sack until I move them out of the crib into a regular bed with a comforter.

I don't think it's necessary, more personal preference. I use cotton slepers and then the cotton sleepsack on top. They look cosier that way to me, but I am pretty sure they would not be cold without it.

okinawama
04-29-2010, 11:19 AM
we did, but now that the weather is warmer we've stopped.

lchang25000
04-29-2010, 11:19 AM
We have a couple Halo ones and never used them. Bought a grobag too due to the recs of the moms here and never used that either so I sold it. On cold nights we put cotton 2 piece jammies/long johns on DS then a fleece footed sleeper over that. We keep our house set to 68-69 degress in the winter. For warmer weather, we just use cotton 2 piece or 1 piece sleepers

chickadee
04-29-2010, 11:40 AM
My youngest (18 months) won't keep a blanket on her and will unzip her sleepers and take off her pants at night. She hasn't quite figured out how to unzip the sleeper so it is the only way we can keep her warm on cold nights. We use it all winter and part of the fall and spring.

We just use onesies in the summer with no sleep slack.

My older one started keeping her blanket on her before she was two but was never quite the acrobat my second is!:bouncy:

I think it depends on the child and the parent. Whatever works! :)

arivecchi
04-29-2010, 11:43 AM
We use fleece for winter, lightweight for summer, and we vary the footed sleeper/non footed/short sleeve/short pants/socks combination under the sleepsack.:yeahthat: They are a must for us. DS1 used them until he was 2.5 yo and DS2 is still using them at 15 months. We use the fleece ones (2 fleece ones when it is really cold) in the fall/winter/spring and the cotton ones in the summer. I love them because I do not worry about them being cold, their blankets falling off or suffocation (when they were babies).

DebbieJ
04-29-2010, 11:45 AM
We used a fleece one through the winter and are now using a cotton one.

TwoBees
04-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Hrm. So this leads me to another question (which might be better suided for a different forum)---We keep DD's room between 70-71 degrees, and put her to bed ONLY in a long sleeved, footed sleeper. How do I know if she is warm enough? I had been dressing her warmer, but DH protested, saying she was too hot.

wendibird22
04-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Hrm. So this leads me to another question (which might be better suided for a different forum)---We keep DD's room between 70-71 degrees, and put her to bed ONLY in a long sleeved, footed sleeper. How do I know if she is warm enough? I had been dressing her warmer, but DH protested, saying she was too hot.

That's what our house is set at. DD1 either goes to bed in a fleece footed sleeper or a cotton or terry one with a cotton sleep sack. As it is starting to warm up here, I'll likely do the cotton/terry sans sleep sack on warmer nights and once we hit summer just a onesie.

I figure that if DD is too hot or too cold she'll wake up frequently. If she stays asleep then she must be ok. I also check her hands and the back of her neck to see if she's cold or sweaty. I also judge how I dress her based on how I dress myself for bed. If I'm wearing cotton long sleeve pjs and still use a sheet and blanket to stay warm then she needs the same layers.

smiles33
04-29-2010, 11:57 AM
We use them until DD1 moved to a big girl bed and DD2 is still using them, as DH likes the house cold. He can't sleep when it gets past 65 degrees so I have DD2 in a SleepSack and footed sleeper (as well as a space heater that keeps her room between 69-71). We don't use a space heater in the summer, but still put a SleepSack on because DH cranks the AC super cold.

TwoBees: if my DD2's face or hands are cold when I go into her room to nurse, I turn the heater up a little. If her hands are warm, then I figure she's fine but who knows? She could be overheating if she's like my DH.

sariana
04-29-2010, 12:12 PM

If she's cold, she'll wake up and let you know. She might not wake up if she's too hot. So I would err on the side of too cold. My kids always seem to need a lot less at night than I do. I think their "engines" run hotter.

MamaSnoo
04-29-2010, 12:15 PM
We used the lighter weight cotton ones from Halo from age 3 mos to about 14 mos, and really liked them. After that, it was summer and was too hot, and we did not need them. When the next winter rolled around, DD seemed too active and mobile and did not want to use one. So, I just tossed a sweatshirt over her PJs in the winter.

Someone gave us a heavy fleece one as a gift, but we did not use it (overheating concern).

elektra
04-29-2010, 12:42 PM
We love them here. DD doesn't use them anymore but DS does. He holds on to the front of it like it's his lovey. Always there to grab onto. :)

mecawa
04-29-2010, 12:55 PM
My girls used a sleepsack every night for the first year or so, I love them!!!

kam
04-29-2010, 01:01 PM
All ours did last night. DD sometimes doesn't, but she's getting better about keeping a blanket on her. I think the sleepsack, lovey, sound machine, and consistent bedtime is what makes them (historically) excellent sleepers!

We use fleece for winter, lightweight for summer, and we vary the footed sleeper/non footed/short sleeve/short pants/socks combination under the sleepsack.

:yeahthat: We always use it, and vary what DD wears underneath it. she's a major wiggler in her sleep, so blankets would be hopeless. And the cutest thing is that now, at 15 mos, when she sees it, she holds out one arm and then the other to help put it on, waits for me to zip it up, and then takes her binky (allowed in crib only), and waits for me to get her bottle and start bedtime. She knows!

AshleyAnn
04-29-2010, 01:49 PM
DD is 5 months old and sleeps in one nearly every night. I quit swaddling her by 6 weeks because she didn't seem to need it and I didnt want her to form a crutch but felt like she needed something to keep warm. In the winter she wore either long sleep footed fleece jammies or long sleeve footed cotton jammies with a med/hvy weight sleep sac. Now that its warmer she sleeps in cotton sleep and plays with a thin sleep sac over it. In the summer she may wear just a onsies and a sleepsac.

citymama
04-29-2010, 02:02 PM
We had about 4 with DD1 and never used - except 2 pretty baby Lulu ones I felt I needed to get some use out of! I've never figured out how you do sleep sacks with a swaddled baby (if you use the thin swaddle blankets). Onesie, footed sleeper, swaddling blanket - and you're set! Why do you need a sleep sack?

So we have DD's old sleep sacks and MIL has bought even more for the new baby. Tell me how you use them with a swaddled baby so we can get some use out of them! (Or are they better for 6-12 month olds?)

jent
04-29-2010, 02:23 PM
We used sleepsacks for DD once we were done swaddling her (about 6 mos, IIRC). Just did it out of personal preference-- I like to have a sheet and/or blanket on when I sleep, so I didn't want to put her down in just PJ's, but I think warmth-wise you'd be fine layering depending on the season. We're actually still using them-- since DD is short she still fits in them, but now she requests a blanket on top too. I think more for comfort than warmth.

She's pretty good at keeping the blanket on, so I think she'll do fine once we transition to her big-girl bed with real bedding-- which I've promised her will be very soon.

Nooknookmom
04-29-2010, 07:46 PM
I used the lightweight ones up until DD2 was over a year old. I would put on a Carters long sleeve onsie and then the sleepsak over it. Otherwise if I used it over a sleep n play, she got too hot (we are in CA though).

I have a fear of space heaters (fire when I was a kid) and can't use one in the house, so I bundle us up if need be!

lizzywednesday
04-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Halo makes some in NB sizes with attached "blankets" ... which I use for DD as much as possible.

When the 2 we have get funky, I use the bigger ones & add a swaddle w/a lightweight flannel receiving blanket (swaddle her arms & torso.)

Underneath, I've been using either a l/s onesie or l/s kimono t-shirt, depending on the outside temp. It didn't occur to me to go heavier w/the base layer b/c our house stays fairly warm overnight & DD ended up sleeping in our bedroom anyway.

mom2binsd
04-29-2010, 09:28 PM
DS wore one up until almost his 4th birthday, he was still in a crib and did not want any blankets. He wore regular pj's under the fleece or cotton halo sleep sack (called it his night night sack).

♥ms.pacman♥
04-29-2010, 09:40 PM
my DS (3.5mo) wears sleep sacks..we have one from Halo but now that the weather is a bit warmer we started using the Carters sleep sacks and also the Aden & Anais ones. the A&A ones are HUGE but are nice because they are VERY thin and breathable.

newg
04-29-2010, 10:35 PM
We started out using the Halo swaddle sleep sacks with DD..cotton. Then we moved her to the regular sleepsacks (also cotton) because she doesn't keep a blanket on her and her room always seems cool. It is now part of her sleep routine and won't go to bed unless she has it on.
In the winter she wears a footed sleeper too; cotton or fleece, depending on how cold it gets. And in the summer/spring just cotton pjs (short sleeves and pants/shorts)

smiles33
04-29-2010, 11:40 PM
I have a fear of space heaters (fire when I was a kid) and can't use one in the house, so I bundle us up if need be!

OT, but I had to respond. I had a fire in my college apt. when a blanket fell on a space heater (the kind with the exposed red coils). Luckily, my roommate woke me up and moved the blanket before anything else burned but the smoke was really bad and we went to the ER still to get checked out.

My kids' space heaters are the DeLonghi oil-filled radiator and the Vornado fan heater--both with safety features like turning off if moved/knocked over.

Nooknookmom
04-30-2010, 12:29 AM
OT, but I had to respond. I had a fire in my college apt. when a blanket fell on a space heater (the kind with the exposed red coils). Luckily, my roommate woke me up and moved the blanket before anything else burned but the smoke was really bad and we went to the ER still to get checked out.

My kids' space heaters are the DeLonghi oil-filled radiator and the Vornado fan heater--both with safety features like turning off if moved/knocked over.

DH and I actually had the oil-filled heater when DD1 was born, the place we rented had NO heat (thank goodness we were in CA not Chicago!). I felt pretty comfortable with that running all night.

I'm just a fire-hazzard spazz b/c when I was about 11, we had a house fire started by someone who lit our cord of wood on fire (it was stacked on the side of our house). I just can't get over that feeling!!!!!

arivecchi
04-30-2010, 11:49 AM
There have been a number of fires in Chicago where children have died as a result of space heaters. So sad. I am terrified of them.