PDA

View Full Version : Help me brainstorm a gift for DH (finishing PhD)

brittone2
04-29-2010, 11:22 AM
I swear, at one time I was a good gift giver. In recent years, I've been kinda mediocre when coming up with ideas for DH.

He defends for his PhD in a few days and I have nothing. Nada. We are prepping for a big out of state move, with a newborn...so it is hard to focus. We also don't have a ton of extra money to spend, so I'd like to keep it under say $200 at the absolute max.

His PhD is in chemistry if that helps.

He doesn't *need* much. He is a very practical guy. He's saving for a new road bike, so for other holidays in addition to a gift of some type I often stick some $$ in his "bike jar" which is something we came up with one year for father's day (a glass lidded jar where we throw money for his new road bike...).

I'm stumped. He doesn't particularly need anything like a new attache or similar. New work environment is quite casual...business casual or even more relaxed.

any suggestions? I want something meaningful but am stumped and almost out of time!

Corie
04-29-2010, 11:26 AM
How about the kids making some artwork for his office??

I do this for my DH. My DH has framed artwork made by
the kids all over his office. :)

LMPC
04-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Will he be in a job where he has an office? After my defense I got some sentimental things for my office that I still love....my mentor made me (yes, made me at a local craft store) a really pretty glass paperweight...my mom gave me a very nice clock...and I also received a nice name plate with the "PhD" at the end.

Congrats to your DH! And to you...support from partners is extremely important to the process!!!

brittone2
04-29-2010, 11:28 AM
We are having a small party with his parents, grandmother, etc. coming down from PA to visit.

He will have an office in the new job, so that does open up some possibilities. The artwork is cute and is something he'd appreciate. Hmmm....

I like those ideas so far.

WatchingThemGrow
04-29-2010, 11:29 AM
What about an ipod touch? It would be fun to use in your new place, getting to know where everything is, keeping his new work calendar, maps, Around Me, etc.

What about getting him the actual bike? My friends at the local shop near WSM are very sweet and have fun bike stuff! They could box it/ship it to the new place so it gets moved easily.

lowrioh
04-29-2010, 11:32 AM
How about a very nice frame for his PhD. That's what my parents got me and I think it was around $150.
Depending on his work environment, the name plate with the PhD might be out of place. I'm in a government research lab and we don't use our titles at all....academia depends on the department and I don't know about industry. We actually make fun of the handful of scientists who insist on using their title since it isn't the norm.

brittone2
04-29-2010, 11:36 AM
We have a touch, only because it was free when we got our powerbook a few months back (deal for students I think?).

The bike he wants is like a multi thousand dollar bike. He never spends for himself for clothing, etc. and I'd love to get it for him, but we just aren't there yet ;) His fund is growing, but we definitely can't afford it in full right now. I think the thing has to be fitted in advance and is then custom built too...so not easily done on short notice. I can't wait until we can do it though as we never spend on updated electronics or other man-favorites LOL, and he just never treats himself to anything. Not sure if his parents and grandmother are gifting him cash (would not surprise me) but if they do that would help get him closer at least.

BabyMine
04-29-2010, 11:37 AM
A nice quiet dinner with just you.

brittone2
04-29-2010, 11:39 AM
How about a very nice frame for his PhD. That's what my parents got me and I think it was around $150.
Depending on his work environment, the name plate with the PhD might be out of place. I'm in a government research lab and we don't use our titles at all....academia depends on the department and I don't know about industry. We actually make fun of the handful of scientists who insist on using their title since it isn't the norm.

Yeah, DH was annoyed that I wanted to get his name, PhD on the cake (for fun :D ) for his party. He worked in industry before grad school and no one there used their PhD day to day, and I know he definitely won't in his new job. He's working in industry for an instrument company, and it is a pretty casual small company environment. I think he'd be embarrassed if I got him a desk plaque with PhD on it ;)

brittone2
04-29-2010, 11:42 AM
A nice quiet dinner with just you.

I wish! This he would cherish. However, we are currently up to our ears in packing, an EBF newborn who won't take a bottle, etc.

crl
04-29-2010, 11:56 AM
I agree with the suggestions of something for his office. My parents had a very nice print of the MO Supreme Court Building (where I was sworn in and also I had used their library a lot for research) framed for my office.

Catherine

o_mom
04-29-2010, 12:16 PM
You could also look for a chemistry themed piece of artwork for his office. Etsy had lots of chemistry jewelry, but I didn't see anything for men specifically (lots of earrings and pendants).

brittone2
04-29-2010, 12:19 PM
You could also look for a chemistry themed piece of artwork for his office. Etsy had lots of chemistry jewelry, but I didn't see anything for men specifically (lots of earrings and pendants).

I wish there was a good equivalent. I remember reading a story about the woman who sells the chemistry-themed jewelry on etsy. It is hard to come up with something "chemistry" related otherwise...I keep thinking about the jewelry (and wishing there was a suitable equivalent for him) every time I try to come up w/ something specifically chemistry, but that's not going to work for him obviously. I suppose I could do something like a keychain but I'm not sure that would really speak to him.

eta: I'll have to hunt around for some artwork. Maybe I can find something w/ the types of particles he has worked with in lab in the past?

lfp2n
04-29-2010, 12:24 PM
My parents gave me a really nice framed etching by a local artist. I think something for the office, some artwork or something for the wall that you know he'd like to look at each day, it doesn't have to be chemistryish but would really brighten a boring office. The other thing DH has in his office is a very cool modern art wall clock.

Corie
04-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Or what about a nice piece of artwork by a local NC artist?

(since you're leaving the area)

Ceepa
04-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Or what about a nice piece of artwork by a local NC artist?

(since you're leaving the area)

I like this. Get him something to remember his time in NC earning the PhD.

brittone2
04-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Good idea on the NC artwork. We're going to miss it here :( I wonder if I can find anything online? Hunting around w/ a newborn isn't the easiest right now. I'll have to think about places I could look.

I did find a glass coffee mug with the chemical structure for caffeine on it. He's a coffee freak. Not the most exciting but I know he'll use it and at least it gives me one thing w/ a nod to chemistry. I might make that one from the kids along w/ some artwork.

JTsMom
04-29-2010, 12:44 PM
I like the ideas already posted, but here are a few more that my DH would go for. He's a bit of an odd duck though, so I don't know if any of them will work. ;)

-The dinner thing- I totally understand, buuut... what if you hired someone to come in and cook/serve/clean up after the bigger kids were asleep? You'd still have the baby, of course, but if you could time it right, you might have an hour or so, kwim? I'm betting you could find someone going to culinary school who would do the whole thing for $200. It would be a splurge (which I like for gifts), something really different, and unexpected, and more about the memory than a thing.

-The engraved/personalized stuff- would he be into a really fancy pen? DH loves that sort of thing. A desk pad, pen holder, business card holder, or something along those lines?

-A massage

-Some time just for him- maybe book some type of hiking or biking thing so that he could have a few hours to just relax.

-Maybe a bit sappy, but if you know your new address, an Expressionary stamp with that on it, marking the start of your new beginning. I did that for DH for Christmas, and he loved it.

JenChem
04-29-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm a big fan of the art. I'd love for someone to get me this awesome picture of the New River Gorge Bridge (http://www.wonderfulwv.com/pgallery.cfm?func=view&step=2&pid=116&gid=30) for my new home or office (it's where I'm from originally). If DS was old enough to make artwork I'd love that too. I think my mom is going to frame my degree for me (so far she has framed both my and DH's BS's and his Masters).

Chemistry related gifts can be tough (just got my PhD in Chem). I want to engrave a mortar and pestle I found in a cooking store for my advisor.

brittone2
04-29-2010, 12:48 PM
I like the ideas already posted, but here are a few more that my DH would go for. He's a bit of an odd duck though, so I don't know if any of them will work. ;)

-The dinner thing- I totally understand, buuut... what if you hired someone to come in and cook/serve/clean up after the bigger kids were asleep? You'd still have the baby, of course, but if you could time it right, you might have an hour or so, kwim? I'm betting you could find someone going to culinary school who would do the whole thing for $200. It would be a splurge (which I like for gifts), something really different, and unexpected, and more about the memory than a thing.

-The engraved/personalized stuff- would he be into a really fancy pen? DH loves that sort of thing. A desk pad, pen holder, business card holder, or something along those lines?

-A massage

-Some time just for him- maybe book some type of hiking or biking thing so that he could have a few hours to just relax.

-Maybe a bit sappy, but if you know your new address, an Expressionary stamp with that on it, marking the start of your new beginning. I did that for DH for Christmas, and he loved it.

I like these too. You are all helping so much! My creative energy is just totally MIA lately.

I have no idea who I'd call about the dinner, but he would love that.

He's currently househunting (for a rental) w/ the "big" kids so I don't know our address yet. Did I mention we're moving May 14th but don't know where yet? Yeah, crazy and fun times here ;)

MaiseyDog
04-29-2010, 01:20 PM

Saw these http://www.etsy.com/listing/45295860/custom-periodic-table-cufflinks

ewpmsw
04-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Someone else may have said this already - His school may have some etchings or artwork of NC/campus buildings.

Good luck with your move!

brittone2
04-29-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm a big fan of the art. I'd love for someone to get me this awesome picture of the New River Gorge Bridge (http://www.wonderfulwv.com/pgallery.cfm?func=view&step=2&pid=116&gid=30) for my new home or office (it's where I'm from originally). If DS was old enough to make artwork I'd love that too. I think my mom is going to frame my degree for me (so far she has framed both my and DH's BS's and his Masters).

Chemistry related gifts can be tough (just got my PhD in Chem). I want to engrave a mortar and pestle I found in a cooking store for my advisor.
nak-
Congrats!!

We used to climb at the New River Gorge pre-kids. Good times. I remember the bridge.

m448
04-29-2010, 01:31 PM
How about you get it catered via personal chef and have it alone with just baby after the older two to to sleep?

brittone2
04-29-2010, 01:34 PM
How about you get it catered via personal chef and have it alone with just baby after the older two to to sleep?

Where can I find someone around here? I'd love to do this. The boxes don't set the best environment but he wouldn't care. He cherishes the adult conversation opportunities when we get them. My parents could watch the older kids as well.

JTsMom
04-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Is this nearby?
http://www.allculinaryschools.com/school/the-art-institutes/north-carolina-durham

It might be worth giving them a call and seeing if they have anything like that set up.

ThreeofUs
04-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Did I mention we're moving May 14th but don't know where yet? Yeah, crazy and fun times here ;)

EEEKKK!!! Oh, my gosh. :hug: to you all.

You're in the research triangle, right? There are a ton of resources online. You could start with the Museum and ask them if there are NC-specific artists around.

Do you all have a newer mapping GPS? Being in a new place, you might need it! :)

GL!

JTsMom
04-29-2010, 02:25 PM
I
He's currently househunting (for a rental) w/ the "big" kids so I don't know our address yet. Did I mention we're moving May 14th but don't know where yet? Yeah, crazy and fun times here ;)

:eek: Maybe I should have rec'd the massage for you. LOL

BabyMine
04-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Can you get a photographer to come out and take a picture of you and DH. Title it " Perfect Chemistry"

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=chemistry+ties&_sacat=0&_odkw=chemical+ties&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313
http://stores.ebay.com/Julias-Art-Path-Paintings__W0QQ_nkwZartQQ_fromZR46
http://shop.cafepress.com/chemist
http://www.giftsforageek.com/designs/chemistry_geek
http://www.molecularshirts.com/
http://www.kyledesigns.com/category/14_personalized_gifts.03_gift_ideas_occupation.che mists/

m448
04-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Wish I had a lead for you Beth but I'm just about to go looking for someone myself. Our 10th anniversary is coming up in August and the baby will only be about a month old a the time. Congrats to your DH!

brittone2
04-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Wish I had a lead for you Beth but I'm just about to go looking for someone myself. Our 10th anniversary is coming up in August and the baby will only be about a month old a the time. Congrats to your DH!

Let me know if you find someone, and I'll do the same. I sent one email out so far. I can find a lot that serve RTP, Raleigh, Cary, etc. but we are a little farther out there.

brittone2
04-29-2010, 03:50 PM
EEEKKK!!! Oh, my gosh. :hug: to you all.

You're in the research triangle, right? There are a ton of resources online. You could start with the Museum and ask them if there are NC-specific artists around.

Do you all have a newer mapping GPS? Being in a new place, you might need it! :)

GL!

Yeah, fun times :ROTFLMAO: DH is up finding a place and signing a lease in the next few days, or we'll be homeless if he doesn't :ROTFLMAO: In some ways having a newborn right now might be helpful as I'm so busy with him that I just don't have *time* to stress too much or think too much about it. I keep telling DH to wake me when it is all over and let me know where we're living :wink2: That said, I feel for him trying to pick out a house w/ me here...he'll be sending pics and we've been watching closely online (looking at house pics, etc) but yeah, if he picks a dud of a house there will be trouble :p

We are returning to an area relatively close to where we once lived and near where I worked (I was on the road all over several counties all day long) so we are okay on finding our way around for the most part. I told him if he took the job in the DC are he was *definitely* getting me a GPS as I would have had no idea how to find my way around!!!

bubbaray
04-29-2010, 03:51 PM
OK, my DH is a bike junkie. If he were saving for a bike (as opposed to just buying it, money or not), he'd way more appreciate that than anything else.

Can you contact family and see if they would be willing to contribute towards it? You may be closer than you think. Plus, if you are moving a long ways away, he may want to order/get fitted from his fave bike shop local to NC, as opposed to finding a new one in your new home. He could get fitted in NC and have it shipped to your new home if it will get shipped anyway.

Just a thought.

brittone2
04-29-2010, 03:53 PM
:eek: Maybe I should have rec'd the massage for you. LOL

:jammin:

I could use one! I've been surprisingly calm about the whole thing so far. However, kids+dh return in a few days, ILs (of the hate BFing, you hold the baby too much, etc. etc. variety) arrive the same day and will be staying through is defense/small party. And then we move like 10 days later. I have the feeling the stress will peak in a few days!

We also have a dog and a cat which definitely limits our pool of homes we can rent. We have some great prospects, but I totally have to cross my fingers they work out. You never know what you are going to see when you get there!

brittone2
04-29-2010, 03:55 PM
OK, my DH is a bike junkie. If he were saving for a bike (as opposed to just buying it, money or not), he'd way more appreciate that than anything else.

Can you contact family and see if they would be willing to contribute towards it? You may be closer than you think. Plus, if you are moving a long ways away, he may want to order/get fitted from his fave bike shop local to NC, as opposed to finding a new one in your new home. He could get fitted in NC and have it shipped to your new home if it will get shipped anyway.

Just a thought.

THere is a place that fits bikes in the new location. I remember him mentioning it once a few years back (since we are more or less from that area originally). I think he would very much appreciate the bike contribution.

I know if his family gives him money he won't want to apply it to his bike fund. He'll want to use it for upcoming expenses, savings, etc. Must apply pressure and make sure he opens an account at our new bank *just* for the bike.

baileygirl
04-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Along the lines of artwork from NC, what about an aerial photograph? You could probably take care of it online. Any leftover money you could put towards the bike.

happymom
04-29-2010, 05:10 PM
One year for DH's birthday I made a delicious dinner consisting of all of DH's favorite foods and set the dining room up like a fancy restaurant (brought in a round table and covered with beautiful tablecloth...set with china, added candles, bread basket etc). I even made up an elegant menu on the computer and put it on the tables... (This was all because we couldnt go to a restaurant like we normally do....long story)

This was all a surprise for DH and he LOVED it. He still talks about it to this day.

But, it sounds like you wouldnt have an extra minute to cook a meal like this. How about ordering food from a nice restaurant and just setting up beautifully at home at home. Your IL's could watch the older kids and hopefully the baby will cooperate and sleep for an hour while you guys have a romantic dinner amidst the chaos of boxes etc. It would definitely be memorable.

Congrats to your DH and best of luck with move. Sounds like lots of good things happening at once!!

ThreeofUs
04-29-2010, 06:12 PM
Hey, Beth! I just talked to my DH and asked what he would have wanted. He said, and I quote, "No stuff." lol!

He says a nice piece of art, with a little note on it, would be great - but he had two suggestions. One is to find some chemistry-related art (I googled chemistry art and saw some really nice pieces) and the other is to find an old instrument or something else from his field of chem (mine would have been a balance, old calipers or a hand-blown flask) and have it polished and set on a piece of wood.

*I* still like the idea of a family-created piece of art - you, your girls, and your little guy's handprints, with a plaque underneath that gives him a pat on the back would be SO cute!

GL and let us know!

bubbaray
04-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Beth, I've been thinking about this some more. Honestly, I think you should really try to get friends and family who would otherwise buy a gift to contribute towards the bike. What an awesome gift that he would remember every time he rode it, KWIM? *I* wouldn't want a bike, but a bike guy would totally dig such a gift. I know my DH would.

Can you figure out how close you are to the bike he wants? Maybe the bike shop where you are moving can give you a better price???? Can you negotiate a cash deal???

I dunno. I'm not an art person and in many office's I've had in my professional life, I don't have a lot of wall space for art (windows, attached wall units, etc).

JMHO.

motherofone
04-29-2010, 08:01 PM
My favorite gift I received when I finished my PhD was a beautifully bound copy of my dissertation. It had a leather cover and my name and title in gold. My sister had it made for me. Sadly, it was terminally misplaced in a move.