PDA

View Full Version : Which dutch oven cookbook do you recommend for Le Creuset?

sue_g
04-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Which dutch oven cookbook do you recommend for Le Creuset?

Also do you recommend the 5 or 7 qt. dutch oven?

Carrots
04-29-2010, 04:41 PM
I don't have a specific "dutch oven cookbook", but Ina Garten uses hers in many many recipes

I would get the 7.

MamaSnoo
04-29-2010, 05:30 PM
I asked about what to get recently and got some really helpful replies:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=354014

DrSally
04-29-2010, 05:32 PM
I would get the larger size. You want as much bottom surface area as possible. I don't have a specific cookbook, just various receipes from Foodnetwork.

August Mom
04-29-2010, 06:06 PM
WS has certain Le Creuset colors at 20% off right now, so you may want to check and see if there's anything you want. I think size depends on what you want to use it for. I have a 5 qt. (actually thought it was 5.5) and it is a good size for us. I usually do stews and braise some meats in it. I don't have a specific Dutch oven cookbook, but many Cooking Light recipes suggest using one as do other recipes.

hobie
04-29-2010, 06:08 PM
I have the Lodge Logic...same idea, just less $$.

smiles33
04-29-2010, 07:29 PM
If your family is big (or just big eaters like mine), get the 7. Our 5.5 is from our wedding registry and DH regularly cooks so much in it that it overflows!

stinkyfeet
04-29-2010, 08:58 PM
I would get the 7 qt. DS is only 13 months, so it is really just me and DH eating. I like having the bigger size for when we have guests over.

Also, I know that Costco sells Le Creuset, so it might be a good idea to see if it is cheaper than WS.

lvhkitty
04-29-2010, 11:05 PM
I am a LeCreuset addict. I make pasta sauce weekly or biweekly in the 7 quart oval which fits the mega can of tomatoes from costco.

Although I don't make roasts, the larger size is supposedly good for that.

However, I have and occasionally use the smaller size 5 quart as well.

Now I'm drooling over the purple color they have at Sur la Table.

baileygirl
04-29-2010, 11:19 PM
I use our 5qt a lot, but if I were to only have one...I would go with the 7. I use the book Glorious One-Pot Meals by Elizabeth Yarnell a fair amount.

gatorsmom
04-30-2010, 12:37 AM
I have the 9qt Dutch oven and use it at least once per week. I love that I can double or triple recipes in it easily since it holds so much. However I'm cooking for 6 people and trying to still make enough for leftovers. I think for your family 7qts qould be perfect.

As for what to cook in it, you can do so much. I made stir fry in it Monday, I love to sauté chicken breasts in it, it's great for soups, and so
many other recipes. You will love it. Enjoy!

alirebco
04-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Now I'm drooling over the purple color they have at Sur la Table.

I love the purple color! I've even had dream about getting the big oval oven in the purple. LOL.

I have the 5.5 qt round and it works well for 4 chicken breasts on the bone but it is tight in there. I also use it for picadillo.

I have a Lodge skillet but I love the enamel on the LC ovens. So easy to clean and they produce the best browning on meat.

lvhkitty
05-02-2010, 10:59 PM
They are very easy to clean even when burning stuff on them!
I also love my All Clad but it doesn't come in fun colors!