PDA

View Full Version : Question about changing planes with 2 kiddos...

mrshalco
04-29-2010, 09:47 PM
We are taking a flight from Boston to Kona, Hawaii with both kids. We are currently looking at flights and would like to only have to change planes once. For those who have flown long distance (two 6 hour flights in a day) would you rather have about 1.5 hours between flights or 4.5 hours? I'm thinking of using this time to just RUN!

Thanks!

geochick
04-29-2010, 10:17 PM
I would never want a 4.5 hour layover!!! 1.5 is enough time for bathroom breaks, and a snack before finding the next gate. Let the kids run in that 1.5 hour, but don't delay that extra time. Just get to Kona! You'll love it!

One other thought that definitely wouldn't appeal to some, but might be an option. Fly to San Diego on Day 1, and spend a night or two (do you have the time)? There's lots to do there, and the flight from San Diego isn't bad at all.

ETA - Is a Red Eye an option? We took a Red Eye flight back from Hawaii once. This kids did fairly well, and we didn't really even notice the flight.

hillview
04-29-2010, 10:36 PM
I would never want a 4.5 hour layover!!! 1.5 is enough time for bathroom breaks, and a snack before finding the next gate. Let the kids run in that 1.5 hour, but don't delay that extra time. Just get to Kona! You'll love it!

One other thought that definitely wouldn't appeal to some, but might be an option. Fly to San Diego on Day 1, and spend a night or two (do you have the time)? There's lots to do there, and the flight from San Diego isn't bad at all.

:yeahthat:
/hillary

salsah
04-29-2010, 11:30 PM
4.5 sounds good in theory (what if the first flight is delayed, what if one of the kids has an incident of some type that delays us, i don't want to have to run across the airport dragging the kids as fast as we can to catch our flight . . .) but in practice, those 4.5 hrs will feel really loooong. it just 3 more hours of entertaining the kids. you just want to get your destination as soon as possible.

just be sure that the 1.5 hours is enough time to get off the plan, walk to the gate (check the airport map to make sure that the arrival and departure gate aren't insanely far apart where you need to take a shuttle or something crazy), and board in time. i wouldn't stress having time to use the bathroom because if you have to, you can just use the one on the plane as soon as you board.

Neatfreak
04-30-2010, 01:26 AM
The one time that I flew from across Canada with DD1 and chose a three-hour delay in Toronto, I regretted it. It's a huge and major airport, but not very entertaining for small kids. We ended up sitting on the floor by the gate and watching Nemo on the portable DVD ...

Now I have a 20-hour flight home, and 1.5 hours is my ideal layover.

egoldber
04-30-2010, 07:59 AM
Well, that's tricky. My personal preference is for a 2/2.5 hour layover. That gives you plenty of time to get off the plane without needing to rush, get a gate checked stroller back, take potty breaks, find the next gate, get something to eat, potty again and then it's typically time to get on the next plane.

Don't forget your next flight will typically begin boarding about 30 minutes before scheduled departure time. So a 1.5 hour layover really only gives you 1 hour. It can take 15 minutes to get off the plane. If your first flight is delayed at all, you could easily miss your connecting flight.

So I dunno what I would do. What is the connecting airport? If it's LAX or SFO, they are pretty kid friendly with lots of things to do and places to eat. Is the shorter connection on the last flight of the day to Kona? If so, I would be less likely to choose that one. Another thought is what time of year is it? A late afternoon flight leaving Boston in the summer is more likely to be delayed than a morning flight, etc.