PDA

View Full Version : Recs for Bible Story Books for a Toddler?

ahrimie
04-30-2010, 12:12 AM
Board books would be great--something simple to understand but engaging too. We have the book about the Wemmicks by Max Lucado but something a bit easier for a toddler--and about classic Bible stories.

Suggestions would be great!

schums
04-30-2010, 09:45 AM
We have this one: http://www.zondervan.com/Cultures/en-US/Product/ProductDetail.htm?ProdID=com.zondervan.97803107007 84&QueryStringSite=Zondervan

We all LOVE it. DC are 8 and 6 1/2 and they'll still open it up and read it sometimes. It presents the bible in a fun, rhyming way. All "classic" bible stories are in there, with lots of pictures. Think Christian Dr. Seuss, without all the crazy words.

wolverine2
05-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Read-Aloud Bible Stories, by Ella K. Lindvall

There are at least 4 volumes. They are not board books, but they are the best stories I've seen written at toddler level. Like Zaccheus is called "the man who was too little" and there's the man who had "sick eyes" and "the boys and girls and Jesus." The illustrations are really different - I like them.

ahrimie
05-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Thank you for your suggestions, ladies! Afterwards, I looked in DD's bookshelf to see if there were some up high and we found these: http://www.amazon.com/Story-Jesus-Patricia-Pingry/dp/0824941292/ref=pd_sim_b_1

They came in a set: Story of Noah, Story of Jesus, Ten Commandments, and Book of Prayers. So far, we've done Noah and Jesus and she really likes them! I asked her to read them to me this morning and she said, "thank you God for Noah, thank you God for elephants," as she was turning the pages :)

WatchingThemGrow
05-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Thank you for your suggestions, ladies! Afterwards, I looked in DD's bookshelf to see if there were some up high and we found these: http://www.amazon.com/Story-Jesus-Patricia-Pingry/dp/0824941292/ref=pd_sim_b_1

They came in a set: Story of Noah, Story of Jesus, Ten Commandments, and Book of Prayers. So far, we've done Noah and Jesus and she really likes them! I asked her to read them to me this morning and she said, "thank you God for Noah, thank you God for elephants," as she was turning the pages :)

Those are great! We've collected several over time. We also use the beginner's bible, plus the Jesus Storybook bible, and whatever else we find at the Thrift Shop's book section. Lots of bible story books are donated there!

KpbS
05-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Read-Aloud Bible Stories, by Ella K. Lindvall

There are at least 4 volumes. They are not board books, but they are the best stories I've seen written at toddler level. Like Zaccheus is called "the man who was too little" and there's the man who had "sick eyes" and "the boys and girls and Jesus." The illustrations are really different - I like them.

These are really wonderful! I highly recommend them. Also like a PP mentioned we have the Jesus Storybook Bible and also have the Rhyme Bible both of which are excellent.

spunkybaby
05-04-2010, 12:15 AM
These are really wonderful! I highly recommend them. Also like a PP mentioned we have the Jesus Storybook Bible and also have the Rhyme Bible both of which are excellent.

We have all of these books too! I think the Read-Aloud Bible Stories are the best for the toddler set (very simple language and easy to understand). The Rhyme Bible's geared for slightly older kids (fun rhymes but vocabulary is a bit more complex). The stories in the Jesus Storybook Bible are quite a bit longer--maybe age 5/6 & up? I actually think that Bible is perfect for a 8-year-old or so. But these are all great Bible storybooks. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

vonfirmath
05-04-2010, 10:17 AM
My son got the God's Story for me Bible storybook for Christmas (20-ish months since he got it at Thanksgiving) last year --http://www.examiner.com/x-42740-Lansing-Childrens-Books-Examiner~y2010m4d25-Gods-Story-for-Me-104-Favorite-Bible-Stories-for-Children-review

And this is what we read every night (and he asks for). It is not a board book. But it seems to have just the right amount of text on the page. And they tell you what the scripture is so you, the adult, can go and read what the Bible actually has to say -- and I've even read that aloud to my son on occasion, so he can know where these stories are being paraphrased from. (I have found a few inaccuracies. Such as God calling Creation Very good before humans were created. But I can easily correct and go there)