PDA

View Full Version : Ice Cream Maker WWYD for sleep-deprived mama

ThreeofUs
04-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Hi, All!

I've been up for the last 4 nights (I think) with two sick kids, and I have no brain left. Help me decide what to do.

I got a cuisinart ice cream maker at Costco for $40, then scored one at BB&B for $25. The Costco box has two freezer bowls in it, the BB&B just has one.

I can't decide which one to take back. I know it's silly, but please help me!

The freezer bowl sells for $30. Does it really make a difference to have two?

TIA....

calv
04-30-2010, 08:55 AM
darn, I was JUST at costco yesterday and wanted to look for this. i ordered the amazon one for $30, yet to arrive. i'd love 2 bowls!!!

JElaineB
04-30-2010, 08:57 AM
We have had one with two bowls for several years, but for us one bowl would have been enough. If you are going to make ice cream multiple times per week, or if you want to make more than one batch at a time, then two bowls is nice, as it takes a while for the bowl to defrost so you can clean it, then you need to put it in the freezer it for a number of hours (can't remember how many) to refreeze. If the ice cream is going to be an occassional treat, then I think one bowl is sufficient.

bnme
04-30-2010, 09:01 AM
:yeahthat:

I have never had a need for a 2nd bowl, but I only make ice cream about 4 times a year. The one bowl lives in my garage freezer.

Ceepa
04-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Return the more expensive one.

ThreeofUs
04-30-2010, 07:07 PM
If the ice cream is going to be an occassional treat, then I think one bowl is sufficient.

This is where I'm having trouble. We only eat soy or rice ice cream, and I am tired of paying so much money every month for ice cream (DH eats ~90% and the kids the other 10%). This ice cream maker will, I hope, replace all this and allow me to eat ice cream too. (Not that I need it, but I'm allergic to guar gum and can't touch most ice creams.)

So I'm thinking it's going to get pretty heavy use. Is the extra bowl worth the extra $15? And why am I wasting so much energy on this?? I'm *tired*, dang it!

Anyway, thanks everyone for the advice.

GaPeach_in_Ca
04-30-2010, 07:19 PM
Do you have an extra freezer? If not, I say one bowl is plenty because those suckers take up room.

I have the single bowl and never use it. I need to stick the bowl back in the fridge to increase our chances. I took it out when I was storing EBM in there and needed the space and just never got around to putting it back in.

vejemom
04-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Don't laugh, but I have a two bowl cusinart, plus a soft-serve ice cream maker with one bowl. I keep all 3 bowls on an unused ledge in my chest freezer so they're ready to go if the mood strikes. I like the two bowls. IIRC, they only hold a quart or two. I have some recipes that make double that amount, so I freeze it in two batches. Having the second bowl frozen and ready to go makes that pretty easy. And I actually have made more than one flavor of ice cream in one day

ThreeofUs
05-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Don't laugh, but I have a two bowl cusinart, plus a soft-serve ice cream maker with one bowl. I keep all 3 bowls on an unused ledge in my chest freezer so they're ready to go if the mood strikes. I like the two bowls. IIRC, they only hold a quart or two. I have some recipes that make double that amount, so I freeze it in two batches. Having the second bowl frozen and ready to go makes that pretty easy. And I actually have made more than one flavor of ice cream in one day

Oh, hey, this sounds fantastic! Maybe I should keep them both!!

:ROTFLMAO:

calv
05-10-2010, 12:50 PM
what did you end up doing? :)

DrSally
05-10-2010, 01:05 PM
I don't have one, so I can't comment. If you're going to use it a lot, though, and have the freezer space, I guess I'd keep the 2 bowl one? If it were me (don't eat a lot of ice cream), I'd keep the less expensive one, but it depends on your usage. Hope tonight is a better night for you.

ThreeofUs
05-10-2010, 03:06 PM
what did you end up doing? :)

Can you believe they are STILL both sitting on my kitchen floor??

(Where is that rolling eyes/blushing smilie?)

The $25/one-bowl was such a great deal, but the $40/two-bowl was actually an ok deal, too. I think I should just bite the bullet and take the one-bowl back. But that takes brain cells and un-sick kids.

calv
05-10-2010, 03:42 PM
LOL, I take it you haven't made icecream then. :) I can't wait to get ours. suppose to ship out mid may from Amazon!

DrSally
05-10-2010, 03:50 PM
I should prob try to get one. Does BBB still have them? Are they on clearance or just on sale?