PDA

View Full Version : Do men think high heels are sexy on women?

crl
04-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Poll coming: Do men think high heels are sexy on women?

This seems to me to be a very common perception, that men think high heels are sexy on women. But DH denies that he finds them sexy. And he thinks it's just a myth in general. I believe him about his preferences (of course!), but I think it's such a common perception that there must be some truth in it generally. So I'm asking you all.

Catherine

wellyes
04-30-2010, 02:54 PM
I dunno if the high heels themselves are sexy - or if men really care about footware - I think it's more the way they change your stance (boobs & bum kinda pushed out). Some guys may think they dislike high heels while still subliminally appreciating the effect.

elektra
04-30-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm not a man but I think they are sexy.

lchang25000
04-30-2010, 02:57 PM
I think DH would say that it depends what kind of body the woman has if the heels make her look sexy or not.

♥ms.pacman♥
04-30-2010, 03:01 PM
i think most men do. but my DH hates HATES it when i wear heels. i think the main reason though is that he is relatively short and so when i wear heels i am taller than he is :D also, he thinks heels are just bad for knees and are uncomfortable (which they are, i agree) and he has this big thing against the whole "women suffering for vanity" thing.

but yeah, i'm not a man but i LOVE love love the way heels look..especially when wearing a dress or skirt...heels are a MUST imo. flats just don't cut it, at least for me..they don't have that "sexy" look at all. heels in general make one look taller/thinner and just are just flattering/sexy-looking in general. but yeah, ask any chiropractor/orthopedic doctor and they'll tell you heels are the worst invention

crl
04-30-2010, 03:06 PM
i think most men do. but my DH hates HATES it when i wear heels. i think the main reason though is that he is relatively short and so when i wear heels i am taller than he is :D also, he thinks heels are just bad for knees and are uncomfortable (which they are, i agree) and he has this big thing against the whole "women suffering for vanity" thing.

Yes, this is DH's rationale. He says when he sees women wearing heels he just thinks they look painful. And painful isn't sexy. I'm just not convinced that's a typical reaction.

I almost never wear heels--I'm 5 ft 7 in tall and I like to be comfortable. . . . but I can see why they are sexy.

Catherine

♥ms.pacman♥
04-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Yes, this is DH's rationale. He says when he sees women wearing heels he just thinks they look painful. And painful isn't sexy. I'm just not convinced that's a typical reaction.

I almost never wear heels--I'm 5 ft 7 in tall and I like to be comfortable. . . . but I can see why they are sexy.

Catherine

yep, this is exactly what my DH says..he says he likes seeing me comfortable more than anything else, even tho sometimes i want to wear heels for the look :) i too think this is an atypical reaction tho, i'd say most guys like heels in general

and i almost never wear heels either, i have an infant and i'm a SAHM, so there's not much opportunities to wear heels, plus i agree they're not the most comfortable things out there. i love the way they look though. i'm 5'6" and i don't do it to look taller, but intsead to look thinner. also, i wear a size 9.5 shoe so i also do it to minimize the size of my feet (if i wear flats, i look like i have clown feet). also, i'm into fashion and i do think everything looks 10x more stylish with heels than otherwise.

elektra
04-30-2010, 03:12 PM

Catherine

Even I, who know how painful heels can be, do not think about that!
Instead I think, "wow, she looks hot!"

I also rarely wear heels because A) I rarely go anywhere fancy enough to warrant heels and B) I literally tower over DH in heels.

crazydiamond
04-30-2010, 03:17 PM
I think DH would say that it depends what kind of body the woman has if the heels make her look sexy or not.

DH here - well maybe that - but more how they carry themselves (heels or not).

Piglet
04-30-2010, 03:28 PM
DH probably would rather I be comfy and he often makes fun of my shoes when I am complaining that I am uncomfortable.

From my perspective - I *feel* sexier when my shoes complement my outfit, flat or heels. When I look good, I feel good. It is the same as the feeling you have when you walk out in a put-together outfit rather than your lounge pants and flip flops. I often wear skirts for this reason as well - I feel pretty in a skirt as compared to capris or khakis.

♥ms.pacman♥
04-30-2010, 03:31 PM
DH probably would rather I be comfy and he often makes fun of my shoes when I am complaining that I am uncomfortable.

From my perspective - I *feel* sexier when my shoes complement my outfit, flat or heels. When I look good, I feel good. It is the same as the feeling you have when you walk out in a put-together outfit rather than your lounge pants and flip flops. I often wear skirts for this reason as well - I feel pretty in a skirt as compared to capris or khakis.

:yeahthat: well said, it's the same for me. DH often gets on my case for spending time on putting on makeup, choosing right outfit because he says it doesn't matter to him. i always tell him "babe, i'm not doing it for you, i'm doing it for me!" :D

momof2girls
DH tells me no. He does not understand the appeal of heels. Lucky me!

NancyJ_redo
I'm not a man but I think they are sexy.

:yeahthat:

mamica
04-30-2010, 03:37 PM
I think it's also about the way it changes the muscle flexion (is that a word?) in the legs, especially in the calf.

g-mama
04-30-2010, 03:50 PM
I think they're sexy! And my dh does, too.

smilequeen
04-30-2010, 03:59 PM
DH does, in the right situation. I don't think he'd think it was remotely sexy if I was running after the kids at the park in heels. He'd think that was ridiculous and trying to hard (I imagine you've seen those women before...). All dressed up and ready for a party or out sans kids...yeah, he loves them. They are pretty sexy with a dress...making the legs look longer and thinner. I am 5'9" and he's 5'11" so I can end up taller than him sometimes which is cool with him :)

I only wear heels when I'm wearing a dress typically. I used to wear them all the time though when I was working. I do not wear heels with the kids (unless you count casual boots with the thick heels or wedges).

BabyMine
04-30-2010, 04:00 PM
I love high heels only when I have to wear them for a max of 2 hours. My guy friends call them F.M shoes and they all like them. I think it has something to do with S&M.:D

Corie
04-30-2010, 04:10 PM
My husband thinks it is sexy when I'm naked. He doesn't care about my
footwear. :)

sunshine873
04-30-2010, 04:11 PM
I think it's also about the way it changes the muscle flexion (is that a word?) in the legs, especially in the calf.

:yeahthat: Generally (woman's perspective) I think heels are sexy. Although as a SAHM who is often carrying a 15 mo, I rarely wear them. DH & I have discussed it before and we both agree. They are sexy as long as:

1 - The woman can walk naturally in them. I see too many people that are staggering around and that just looks ridiculous.

2 - They're not too-tall or too-thin. You know, it shouldn't look like you're headed to work at the gentlemen's club. That's just sleezy.

JoyNChrist
04-30-2010, 04:25 PM

:yeahthat: :hysterical:

Seriously though, I definitely think high heels are sexy. And I feel sexier when I wear heels...I also find that heels make it easier to dance (we used to take salsa classes and heels were a must).

DH loves women in heels, but I'm not sure if it's a sexy thing or just the fact that he's 6'6" and so many women are just SO much shorter than him in flats. I'm 6', so it's not as much of an issue between us.

billysmommy
04-30-2010, 06:27 PM

How about naked with high heels ;)

aa2mama
04-30-2010, 06:36 PM
I asked DH.

His answer: "Sure!" <pause while thinking> "Isn't that an obvious answer?"

FWIW, he's only 1 1/2" taller than me barefoot.

LexyLou
04-30-2010, 06:40 PM
My husband most definitely thinks they are sexy. He's a leg man, and I happen to have long legs, and when I wear a skirt and heels he's in heaven.

I personally think that heels are sexy too.

egoldber
04-30-2010, 06:40 PM
He says when he sees women wearing heels he just thinks they look painful. And painful isn't sexy.

:yeahthat:

This is my DH as well. I :heartbeat: him. :ROTFLMAO:

brittone2
04-30-2010, 06:42 PM
DH would say yes. However, he has also told me on more than one occasion that he really likes danskos and finds them sexy in their own way :ROTFLMAO: I love my Danksos, but sexy they are not! However, DH kinda digs the sexy librarian look (likes Tina Fey for example...the glasses, etc.) and I think maybe it fits w/ that? I dunno. He says they make him think of "freethinking women" which also makes me chuckle.

So yeah, I have a DH that finds high heels *and* Danskos hot.

eta: I have really, really small feet (women's 4-4.5. can only wear a women's 5 in boots or sneakers) so I have very few high heels. I have some sexy heeled boots, etc but it is tough to find nice heels in my size...choices are specialty catalogs (often the choices are geared toward sr. citizens LOL) or a handful of $$$ Euro brands, etc. I've never had a great shoe wardrobe sadly!

hellokitty
04-30-2010, 06:47 PM
I don't know about men, but I have female friends who think that heels are sexy. I don't think my DH cares. I look like a fool in heels, b/c I can barely walk.

boolady
04-30-2010, 06:47 PM
So yeah, I have a DH that finds high heels *and* Danskos hot.

Sounds like you did pretty well, then! :)

ehlana06
04-30-2010, 08:07 PM
DH hates it when I wear heels. He's odd though. He also HATES i mean absolutely abhors women in skirts and dresses. He says women can be beautiful and feminine without living up to stereotypes. LOL I love my feminist husband! I love wearing both so I do anyway and he lives with it. :D

brittone2
04-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Sounds like you did pretty well, then! :)

THat or it is B.S. and he just tries to make me feel better since it is danskos more often than heels around here LOL.

I'll keep him ...he's a pretty good guy :)

Corie
04-30-2010, 08:52 PM
How about naked with high heels ;)

Now that would make him laugh! I am so not a high heels person.

What about if I was naked with my Geox loafers? :)

citymama
04-30-2010, 09:49 PM
I asked DH and he said no, they look uncomfortable and tortuous. I think he said that just because I almost never wear them. Next he will claim to find Tevas sexy just to make me feel better.

Personally, I think they can be pretty darn sexy, but just the fact that someone is wearing high heels doesn't make them sexy. On the right woman (or drag queen) who seems totally comfy in them, hell, yeah.

blisstwins
04-30-2010, 10:04 PM
I think they are marginally better than foot-binding. I don't think my DH has an opinion on the matter. I think he knows he will catch grief if he says they are sexy since I never wear them!

crl
04-30-2010, 10:11 PM
I asked DH and he said no, they look uncomfortable and tortuous. I think he said that just because I almost never wear them. Next he will claim to find Tevas sexy just to make me feel better.

Umm, you're giving birth any second now. If I were him, I'd say anything I thought you wanted to hear too. LOL.

Catherine

billysmommy
04-30-2010, 10:59 PM
Now that would make him laugh! I am so not a high heels person.

What about if I was naked with my Geox loafers? :)

another thought...add some school-girl plaid pasties...lol

salsah
04-30-2010, 11:37 PM
I dunno if the high heels themselves are sexy - or if men really care about footware - I think it's more the way they change your stance (boobs & bum kinda pushed out). Some guys may think they dislike high heels while still subliminally appreciating the effect.

:yeahthat: while i'm sure that there are some who like the actual shoe, i think that for most men it is more about what wearing heels does to the body (even if the men don't realize that it is the shoe). heels tend to make women looker taller, leaner, bustier, buttier (i know, that's not really a word, i made it up), and they also makes legs appear more defined, changing the shape of the legs and the even the foot to create more curves.
i'm sure that there are also men who have associated "sexy" with heels (for a number of reasons), so if they see a pair of heels walk by, they probably get excited and look up to see the attached body, expecting it to be sexy. where as if a pair of running shoes or flip flops walk by, they might still check out the body, but they aren't expecting it to necessarily be sexy.

kijip
05-01-2010, 01:33 AM
I don't think it is a myth. There are certainly a lot of people who find them sexy. Just because many do though does not mean that all do.

My husband finds me sexy in general, but he likes my high heel collection and likes it when I wear a pair of them. I own them because I love them and think I look better in them for dressy occasions. I don't think that makes him or me any less of a feminist. He also finds me sexy in the super Seattle super comfy shoes I have so I guess he has something in common with Beth's husband.

MontrealMum
05-01-2010, 01:53 AM
I think Piglet hit the nail on the head. It's how YOU feel which projects a feeling of confidence, thus, male and/or female appreciation.

*I* feel sexy in heels, but now that I'm older I realize that that's because they make me feel more powerful, and confident. Projecting those two things is probably what makes heads turn.

FWIW, my DH never used to like me in high heels either. Not because he's a sporty type, but because he's only 3 inches taller than me, and I think he felt threatened by my being close to his own height. After he saw how much others appreciated what I was wearing - not now, we're talking 10 years ago honey - he decided that he liked heels :D

I'm a shoe-a-holic. I have high heels, medium heels, ballet flats, you name it. I don't wear the high ones much anymore due to feet and knee issues, but I do have a certain go-to bunch that really make me feel hot :) Whether I'm carrying 20 extra pounds or not. Seriously, whatever you wear, on your feet or anywhere else, it's all attitude ;)

codex57
05-01-2010, 03:16 AM

This I think. Unless they're gay, guys don't look at what shoes you're wearing. If we notice them, we've checked out a ton of other body parts and pieces of clothing first before we get down to the shoes. If it makes your butt and boobs stick out, then we appreciate the effect. But seriously, unless the guy is some kind of fashionista or has a foot fetish, it's one of the last things we look at.

fumofu
05-01-2010, 03:50 AM

DH would say the same. If you've got the legs, wearing heels would definitely accentuate them. Otherwise they're just loud pointy things that hurt if someone steps on you. Also depends if a woman knows how to walk in them. If she's stumbling or stomping on them, it's just bad news.

Same goes for other clothes. A low cut top that hints at cleavage is much more appealing than putting breasts on full display.

It's all about proportion and using clothes to make you look good.