PDA

View Full Version : Which online dating site?

Jacksmommy2b
04-30-2010, 03:28 PM
My mom and I want to get my sister set up on an online dating site. I know a bunch of you have met your spouses online and was wondering if you had a preference.

She is 25 and looking for a LTR. (if that matters)

Green22
05-01-2010, 05:48 AM
I know of three people meeting on E-Harmony and getting married. Match.com seems to provide a lot of access to people and lots of dates and meetings, but I have yet to see a relationship "go the distance" with it.

HTH

WatchingThemGrow
05-01-2010, 06:46 AM
DH and I met on match.com but we were actually going to the same church already and didn't know one another. We're celebrating 5 years this year. Our friends who met on eHarmony have been married a little bit longer. I was NOT into trying it, but at the urging of friends, I caved.

lalasmama
05-01-2010, 01:50 PM
E-Harmony-- I know 1 couple that married from meeting here.

Plenty of Fish.com-- GREAT for getting some dates to meet new people. This is where my XH met his current SO.

Match.com-- I'm going to a baby shower today. This is where they met!

:bag My confession. I met my SO on craigslist. Yep. Craigslist. Its also where my sister met her husband. If she does CL, she needs to be very specific! A lot of people are looking for a lot less than an LTR. In mine, I pointed out that I am a single Christian mama who would prefer to do things "traditionally"--then had to spell that out, along with the things I would and wouldn't be okay with. I was able to make it cute-- it was a letter to Santa. I just spent 20 minutes trying to hunt down a copy of my posting there, but can't find it. Bummer, because it was FANTASTIC! :)

pharmjenn
05-01-2010, 02:30 PM
I only know of one friend that has tried E-Harmony, and he has not had any luck with it. It is a big time commitment on the computer, answering essay-type questions back and forth before you get phone contact. (According to him, anyone who has used it may disagree. He is on the computer all day at work and didn't want to do it at night)
I have many friends who met and married through match.com. A few of them are on 2nd babies now and it seems to be working.
My skewed poll is that match seems better.

Cam&Clay
05-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Match.com--I have one friend who has had two marriages and two divorces thanks to Match.com; however, I am going to a wedding next month for a daughter of a co-worker who met someone there.

J-date--Basically Match.com for Jewish people. I have quite a few friends who found great guys on this site, both Jewish and non-Jewish.

Jo..
05-01-2010, 02:47 PM
I actually met my DH 12 years ago playing an online game (Microsoft Age of Empires)...does she like games (even card games).? it's a great way to meet new people online for shy folks.

I think you have to be careful with the dating sites. My best friend joined one a couple of times and enlisted me to help... the VAST majority were weirdos or married men looking to get laid. (95%).

I set her up with TWO user IDs. The first one was real (my friend as she really is, looking for a relationship). The second one was a phony (my friend as a party girl, looking for sex and good times). You'd be SHOCKED at how many people emailed user id #1 and said "i want a relationship blah blah blah" and ALSO emailed user id #2 and said "I just want casual sex, let's get it on"! :ROTFLMAO:

You have to be really sneaky these days. Fool them before they fool your sister.

lvhkitty
05-01-2010, 03:42 PM
My husband and I met on match.com.

There are a lot of good and bad outcomes with online dating whichever site you choose. A lot of it boils down to common sense and caution.

marge234
05-01-2010, 04:29 PM
My good friend met her DH on Match. I helped write the profile and she had me sign to look through the guys. It's a lot of work! A key thing is not to prolong the e-mail correspondence. Talking on the phone tells you a lot. Be really clear in posting about wanting LTR, wanting a family, etc.... Online dating is a great way to meet people and to help a person get themselves ready to be in an LTR.

michellerw
05-01-2010, 07:25 PM
DH and I met on Match.com. But we also knew people in common and happened to find each other on another site as well.

Most of my friends have recently met on e-Harmony.

SkyrMommy
05-01-2010, 07:46 PM
DH & I are another match.com couple :love5:

I agree though that whatever site it is; filter, filter, filter... and one of the PP is right, keep the emails short - voice is so much more telling.

elektra
05-01-2010, 08:36 PM
A guy I work with met his wife on eharmony. They were in the commercial a few years ago. I also am friends with a J-date couple. And then a former work contact just starting working at zoosk.com (sp?). He says it's a great site but I don't know a whole lot about it. Just thought I'd throw it out there since it had not been mentioned.

boolady
05-01-2010, 09:09 PM
My sister met her ex-boyfriend (they dated for 3.5 years) on eHarmony. He was a great guy. My college roommate met her husband on match.com; they've been married for about 2 years and just had a baby.