PDA

View Full Version : Are Sonicare Kids Toothbrushes worth the $$$?

ohiomom1121
04-30-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm completely willing to spend the money if they'll help. DCs went to the dentist today and DD has 3 cavities, one of which has broken her back tooth and needs a crown!!! She was just in 6 months ago for a cleaning, brushes twice a day (with my help) and flosses at least 2-3 times a week. I have no clue what we're doing wrong. I'm wondering if a Sonicare would help. DS had a cavity last time and the filling was NOT FUN.

BTW: They currently use crest or colgate spin brushes.

infomama
04-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Could be genetics, could be brushing technique/frequency. Personally I would go for it after three cavities. I went through two (one was horrendous....I think going through that experience took five years off my life) cavities with dd1 and anything that may thwart future cavities is worth it IMO.

ohiomom1121
04-30-2010, 08:55 PM
I'm worried about it being genetics...DH has horrible teeth (including breakage and cavities) but I thought it was because he's not too good about taking care of them!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-30-2010, 08:57 PM
We use our Sonicare on DD.

Kymberley
04-30-2010, 09:37 PM
We got to "play" with the kid's sonicare at a convention, and it was too cool! I'll be getting one for DS when we get to that point. Go for it!

m448
04-30-2010, 09:49 PM
DH and I have been using sonicare brushes for years now and this year I finally bought some for the boys (6 & 4). They had been using spinbrushes and the checkups were fine but I knew as the adult teeth came in that removing plaque would be more important. I did consider the kids sonicare but then decided against it. It's just a different packaging since the heads on the elite models are pretty compact anyway.

We bought a 2pack (each with their own battery handle) at BJs for $80 while the kids sonicare is running around $80 just for one right?

twowhat?
04-30-2010, 10:17 PM
OMG way cool! I've been waiting for this to come out! The combination of Ultrabrite toothpaste (yes, weird) and my Sonicare are the only things that keep my black line stain away. My kids have black line stain too and I have been dreading how we are going to deal with the cosmetic impact of black line stain when they get to that age (interestingly people who are "lucky" enough to have the bacteria that cause black line stain in their mouths also are less prone to tartar and cavities...but the cosmetic problem is almost worse!)

ohiomom1121
04-30-2010, 10:22 PM
DH and I have been using sonicare brushes for years now and this year I finally bought some for the boys (6 & 4). They had been using spinbrushes and the checkups were fine but I knew as the adult teeth came in that removing plaque would be more important. I did consider the kids sonicare but then decided against it. It's just a different packaging since the heads on the elite models are pretty compact anyway.

We bought a 2pack (each with their own battery handle) at BJs for $80 while the kids sonicare is running around $80 just for one right?
Hmmm...never thought about that! I assumed they were not as powerful as the adult models. I saw them on sale at Target for $50 but can't remember if that was this week or last. I picked up 2 $10 rebate forms today at the dentist. Your kids are about the same ages as mine so I'll check out the compact adult ones. Thanks :)

fauve01
04-30-2010, 11:14 PM
we haven't bought the kid sonicare toothbrush yet, but i'm planning to. My dd is really sensitive to the battery toothbrush. the hygenist and dentist told us last week that the battery ones are usually either way too powerful (when the batteries are new) or not powerful enough (when they're almost done). the dentist said that a lot of kids are sensitive to how powerful the adult power (meaning the ones you plug in to charge) brushes are, so for them, the sonicare kids toothbrush is good. because it works at 40% power i think. anyway, since my DD can't stand the fulll power, we're going to try the kid one.

the hygenist said she's seen improvement in the plaque growth on kids who start using a charging toothbrush.

she told me there is an oral b brush (vitality maybe?) that she'd also recommend for kids. i don't know if it's less power or why. she did say it's cheaper than the sonicare one, so a good one to try before committing to the more expensive sonicare. BUT she did say she thought the head of the oral b toothbrush is too big for most kids' mouths.

take it FWIW. since we were just at the dentist and had the conversation last week, i thought i'd share! hth,

Anne + DD 10-03

bubbaray
04-30-2010, 11:35 PM
DH actually won an Oral B (Vitality I think -- the sonic one) from our dentist last summer. Since he and I (when I remember) use our Sonicare, we gave the Oral B to the girls for use in their bathroom. They like it. Its a nice small head. Plus, they were used to the round head from the Crest Spinbrushes they used previously.

ETA: This is the one. http://www.oralb.com/products/pc4000/ Its a professional care one (duh, since it came from our dentist). Its a nice size for a child's mouth. DD#2 was 2.5 when she started using it last summer.

Aishe
05-01-2010, 01:58 AM
We use our Oral B (sorry, can't remember the name of the model) on our 4yo dd and she likes it fine. It has a gentle cycle, which we actually all use. I'm pretty sure you can get a child size brush head for it, but we've never bothered. My mouth is *tiny* - my dentist has described it as child sized - and I couldn't use the Sonicare, but the Oral B is great. And FWIW I've had the best dental check-ups of my life since using it. I'm ashamed to say that DD has never seen the dentist (she has her first appointment on Monday) so I don't yet know how well it's working for her.

katydid1971
05-01-2010, 02:09 AM
My dentist recently recomended xylitol to help prevent cavities. I found these lollipops and DC like them plus I will put some xylitol (its like sugar) into DD's sippy cup. You might want to talk with your dentist about it.
http://www.drjohns.com/candystore/xylitol/

ohiomom1121
05-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks for all the input...I'm definitely going to pick some up. I checked out that Oral B one and they are over $100 each. DH just went up to Target to see if the Sonicare Kids are still $50...if not I'm waiting until tomorrow because Slickdeals coupon preview said there's a $10 coupon in the paper tomorrow. Combined with a $10 rebate and I'm happy. I'm thinking about getting one for me again too...I had one years ago that they discontinued the replacement brushes for. Now I just have to figure out which is the newest version so it doesn't happen again right away!

The Xylitol suckers are a great idea...I'm going to check those out. DS loves Carifree toothpaste with Xylitol but DD doesn't like the taste.

heatherlynn
05-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Funny but I just bought one at DS's dentist appt. this week. No cavities (surprisingly), but the dentist had them for $55 plus they gave me a $15 rebate card.

DH and I have a sonicare as does DD1. I actually won mine from BzzAgent otherwise I don't think I would have bought one. I went away for a few days once and didn't bring it and I could not believe how disgusting my mouth felt! I love it and recommend it to everyone. The kids one doesn't spin as fast and ours came with 2 heads, so 1 for DS and 1 for DD2. It makes them want to brush their teeth now! :thumbsup:

KrystalS
05-01-2010, 09:28 AM
A little OT but I had to throw away my 5 yr old Sonicare about 6 months ago because it kept getting mold inside of it. I read online it was a problem with the older models not being compatible with the new brush heads. Anyone know if this problem was solved with the new models? I can really tell the difference in my teeth after using a battery powered brush for the last 6 months.
I would like to get DD the kids brush also, she has had 2 cavities and I think she may be getting another one. I've always had problems with cavities and I guess she inherited my bad teeth!
Where do I find the $10 rebate?

ohiomom1121
05-01-2010, 09:36 AM
A little OT but I had to throw away my 5 yr old Sonicare about 6 months ago because it kept getting mold inside of it. I read online it was a problem with the older models not being compatible with the new brush heads. Anyone know if this problem was solved with the new models? I can really tell the difference in my teeth after using a battery powered brush for the last 6 months.
I would like to get DD the kids brush also, she has had 2 cavities and I think she may be getting another one. I've always had problems with cavities and I guess she inherited my bad teeth!
I picked up a brochure at the dentist's office that had a rebate form in the back. I would think it would be online somewhere as well though.

SnuggleBuggles
05-01-2010, 10:03 AM
I just know that my dentist likes any electric toothbrush pretty much. He thinks they make a world of difference because they can get under the gumline better and just provide better cleaning.

Beth

m448
05-01-2010, 10:28 AM

I store my sonicare base separate from the brush head because moisture can always get in there. In the manual it even shows you how to periodically clean the two parts of the brush head. The boys' brushes I clean inside every now and then but keep them as one unit on a daily basis.

KrystalS
05-01-2010, 10:56 AM
I store my sonicare base separate from the brush head because moisture can always get in there. In the manual it even shows you how to periodically clean the two parts of the brush head. The boys' brushes I clean inside shrubs now and then but keep them as one unit on a daily basis.

I was cleaning mine every few days and the mold just kept getting worse, I had it for 5 years so I just figured I needed a new one. When I emailed customer service they wouldn't do anything for me because the model had been discontinued and they no longer made the brush heads for it. I've been waiting to buy a new one hoping I can get a good deal.

randomkid
05-01-2010, 11:07 AM
I got the Sonicare Kids for DD and wasn't sure if she would tolerate it. We've had no problems with it. She actually likes it better than the spinning type battery powered kid brushes. The brush head is smaller as well, so fits in her mouth much better. I totally felt it was worth the $$$. Our ped dentist said he highly recommended it if she would use it.

MissyAg94
05-03-2010, 12:37 AM
we haven't bought the kid sonicare toothbrush yet, but i'm planning to. My dd is really sensitive to the battery toothbrush. the hygenist and dentist told us last week that the battery ones are usually either way too powerful (when the batteries are new) or not powerful enough (when they're almost done). the dentist said that a lot of kids are sensitive to how powerful the adult power (meaning the ones you plug in to charge) brushes are, so for them, the sonicare kids toothbrush is good. because it works at 40% power i think. anyway, since my DD can't stand the fulll power, we're going to try the kid one.

the hygenist said she's seen improvement in the plaque growth on kids who start using a charging toothbrush.

she told me there is an oral b brush (vitality maybe?) that she'd also recommend for kids. i don't know if it's less power or why. she did say it's cheaper than the sonicare one, so a good one to try before committing to the more expensive sonicare. BUT she did say she thought the head of the oral b toothbrush is too big for most kids' mouths.

take it FWIW. since we were just at the dentist and had the conversation last week, i thought i'd share! hth,

Anne + DD 10-03

Our ped dentist recommended the Oral B Vitality as well. We have it and like it for DD. If I didn't have it, I would definitely get the Sonicare for kids. My DH and I love ours.

ahrimie
05-03-2010, 06:59 AM
Could be genetics, could be brushing technique/frequency. Personally I would go for it after three cavities. I went through two (one was horrendous....I think going through that experience took five years off my life) cavities with dd1 and anything that may thwart future cavities is worth it IMO.

:yeahthat: We can only do so much and genetics does the rest. I actually just asked my dentist this during a regular checkup a few weeks ago because my friend's daughter just got work done on her 6 cavities.. and she is not 3 yet! Coincidentally, her dad has really bad teeth too.

I only have the cavities from childhood but I've had braces/retainers and do does/did my DH. I'm expecting DD to have the same work done but hopefully I can prevent some or at least make it less painful than my experiences. We brush whenever we can!

KrystalS
05-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Does anyone know how much the Sonicare one is at Target? It says $69.99 on the website but says price can vary in stores. The closest Target for me is 40 minutes. The Walmart in my area doesn't have any in stock, not sure if they even carry the kids version. I'm trying to decide if its worth driving to Target so I can use my $10 coupon or just ordering online. Its $69 at drugstore.com, then a $10 coupon. So ends up being $54 after the $5 mail in rebate.

infomama
05-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Does anyone know how much the Sonicare one is at Target? It says $69.99 on the website but says price can vary in stores. The closest Target for me is 40 minutes. The Walmart in my area doesn't have any in stock, not sure if they even carry the kids version. I'm trying to decide if its worth driving to Target so I can use my $10 coupon or just ordering online. Its $69 at drugstore.com, then a $10 coupon. So ends up being $54 after the $5 mail in rebate.
I was just at our Target and they are 69.99. Give them a call, though.

713abc
05-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Our kids started using the Sonicare for Kids last week and they really like them (3yr old and almost 7 yr old).

My DH is a dentist so we got them for a very good deal, so we did not have to consider the "is it worth it" factor. He definitely thinks they are good for kids.

Robin

KrystalS
05-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Drugstore.com ended up being a better deal if your local Target price is $69.99
First, go through this site to get $10 off for first time customers
http://www.gosale.com/4993212/philips-sonicare-for-kids?gclid=CPL8pqnKtqECFQYMDQod1kxyXw

Then they are offering $10 off the purchase of Sonicare items. I just searched for Sonicare and it showed all the items with available coupons.

So it ends up being $69.99-$10(1st time customer) - $10 (Sonicare coupon = $49.99
Free Shipping and then you can use the $5 Sonicare mail-in rebate.

Hope this helps someone else!

ohiomom1121
05-03-2010, 03:27 PM
I am still trying to find a good price...went back to Target and they were back up to $69. Plus I didn't get a $10 coupon in my paper. :( Did anyone else? I may just end up ordering them as well.

KrystalS
05-03-2010, 04:53 PM
I am still trying to find a good price...went back to Target and they were back up to $69. Plus I didn't get a $10 coupon in my paper. :( Did anyone else? I may just end up ordering them as well.

I got the coupon, it was in the Smartsource coupons. It doesn't actually have a picture of the kids sonicare. But it says on the coupon it can be used for the kids. It was for $10 off. I'll post when I get mine from drugstore.com, I did the free shipping so I'm sure it won't be until next week sometime.