PDA

View Full Version : S/O Does anyone else wear high heels regularly?

g-mama
04-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Many have said they never wear high heels. I wear them quite often - am I alone? I don't mean stilettos or pumps necessarily, but sandals and wedges, especially in the summer, all the time. With shorts, with sundresses, I love wearing heels. Probably not to the park, but lots of other places. In fall and winter, I wear heels with jeans, whether they are low or high boots with heels, or a casual pump-style heel.

I don't find them to be uncomfortable, although I'm sure there are plenty more comfortable shoes out there, and I like the way they look and I feel cuter wearing them. I'm only 5'2" so I also enjoy a little extra height.

Any other high heel mamas out there?

AshleyAnn
04-30-2010, 11:13 PM
When I worked I wore heals everyday of varying heights. I even wore them while pregnant and ended up wearing my favorite stilettos for most of the thrid trimester because they are slightly larger than my other shoes. I LOVE heels too and wear them anytime I get a chance but I'm also 5 ft 2. I feel more self confident and put together in them. I don't find mine uncomfortable. As far as I know my hubby likes them but I've never asked.

catroddick
04-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Every work day. Heels all week, riding boots and flip flops on weekends. :D

billysmommy
04-30-2010, 11:27 PM
I love my heels...sandals, wedges, boots and sometimes stilettos. I find them very comfortable and flattering. They just seem to complete almost every outfit.

jammytoast
04-30-2010, 11:29 PM
yup, esp in the spring and summer. Wintery cold times I'm wearing boots 99% of the time, varying between a wedge (just cold) and flat (slushy/snow/ice)

Had to take about a year off due to pretty bad knee issues, but those are resolved, so bring on the height! (also, another 5'2 'er and the extra inches make me feel less dumpy in skirts and dresses)

LexyLou
04-30-2010, 11:45 PM
I wore heels a lot more pre kids but now I feel like a little girl playing dress up when I wear them.

I do wear wedges in the summer and when we go out I wear high heeled boots or heels with skinny jeans.

I don't wear them on a daily basis like I used to but most definitely when going out, even if it's just out with the family somewhere a little fancier.

lalasmama
05-01-2010, 12:12 AM
I have 1 pair of sandal-heels and love them :) If I am going almost anywhere on the weekend, I wear them. I wear my pajamas and crocs all week long (okay, well, scrubs, so they feel like jammies), so when the weekend comes, I want to be cute!

Oh, and apparently on this thread, I get to be tall for once! 5'3"! WOO HOO! (Its not often I am taller than others!)

bigsis
05-01-2010, 12:24 AM
Another high-heel mama here! I'm even shorter than you--5 ft 0 inches :)

I love my heels too. I love sandal wedges. I feel funny without at least 2 inches--that would be just for my most casual--parks, grocery stores, taking out the trash ;)

cono0507
05-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Only if I'm dressing up for a special event, and slightly more often in the winter with some of my heeled boots. But I'm 5'10" tall.

dcmom2b3
05-01-2010, 01:02 AM
I used to. All day, every day, at least 3.5 inches, sometimes 4, maybe 5 with a platform. Walked to work in heels, traveled in heels -- (bonehead move considering that the metal spike in the heel always set off the metal detectors and made me subject to special screening . . .) But that was then.

Spending years at home with the girl in flip flops (and not going to the gym) spoiled my heel-wearing skills. And now that I'm taking public transpo. every day it's a different game. I can't bring myself to wear commuter tennis shoes, so it's sensible shoes for me now.

But dangit, I will wear them again, someday, and give life to my closet full of "shoes from my life before."

elektra
05-01-2010, 01:07 AM
I am so spoiled by working from home because I wear slippers or flip flops all day long. But on the rare occassion I actually do go out, watch out world! I break out the heels in a heartbeat. But I really don't wear them that often, and being tall (5'10") I still feel like I can pull flats off pretty well, so I actually do usually go with flats over heels unless I am getting really dressed up.
I don't know how people do it who have to walk long distances in the heels though. Yeeouch.

kijip
05-01-2010, 01:43 AM
I used to all the time. Now I work in an office where it would be difficult to all the time. I have more heels than any other kind of shoe and I like them a lot. Usually in the 3+ inch range.

sunnyside
05-01-2010, 01:56 AM
I am most comfortable in at least a small heel. I wear heels all the time. Granted I work from home, so I'm not out and about every day, but when I do, I am often in heels.

dhano923
05-01-2010, 01:59 AM
I'm in some sort of heel all the time. I hate flats. I don't do stiletto type heels anymore (I'm too fat post kids LOL) but I always have on a 2-3" inch wedge sandal or high heel.

MontrealMum
05-01-2010, 02:04 AM
If I go out, yes, I often wear heels (I mostly WAH). But I'm talking 1.5 - 2 inches here, not the 3" plus that's hanging out in the back of my closet. Those are strictly for driving to a venue and sitting LOL. And there's not much of that when you live in a big city.

I had knee surgery 9 years ago, and have some nerve issues due to all that ballet when I was younger so I restrict my heel height, and watch the shape of the toe box in general. It depends on what I'm going to be doing for the day. I'm 5'7" BTW. Doesn't matter what season it is. Both my boots and sandals have heels.

fumofu
05-01-2010, 03:54 AM
I never wear heels. Never got the hang of it, work didn't require me to wear them, and I have a very low arch.

Before pregnancy, I wear flats, flip flops, flat sandals, sneakers. Now I'm almost exclusively wearing my running shoes for full feet protection. With summer coming I may have to look at orthopedic friendly sandals.

I say if you have no problems wearing heels, go for it. I'm jealous!

cvanbrunt
05-01-2010, 07:31 AM
Yup. All the time. I love heels. I don't find them any less comfortable than poorly fitting flats or other "sensible shoes". If they fit well, they are comfortable. I can't do anything more than 4 inches, though.

pinkmomagain
05-01-2010, 08:24 AM
I never wear heels. Never got the hang of it, work didn't require me to wear them, and I have a very low arch.

Before pregnancy, I wear flats, flip flops, flat sandals, sneakers. Now I'm almost exclusively wearing my running shoes for full feet protection. With summer coming I may have to look at orthopedic friendly sandals.

I could've written this exact same post. I'm in the process of finding orthopedic friendly (and hopefully somewhat attractive) sandals right now!

ilfaith
05-01-2010, 08:41 AM
I wear heels all the time. Boots, sandals, wedges. My stilettos don't get out much anymore, but I wear heels for day and night. With jeans, with dresses, with shorts. Even my "comfort" shoes (Naots and Clarks) have a good size wedge. I joke about having "Barbie feet" and really don't find true flats all that comfortable. This summer my "go to" shoes are these...

http://www.ninewest.com/Adonya/4352819,default,pd.html?cgid=5241465&itemNum=5&variantSizeClass=&variantColor=LBROWLE

And yes, I wear heels even though I'm usually carrying a large 10-month-old around and chasing after his big brothers. I do wear lower shoes to the playground, as teetering around in the mulch is challenging. But sneakers are exclusively for the gym (except for my cute Pumas).

I so don't get the love around here for Privos and Danskos.

Last week I was heading to a yoga class after dropping the boys at school. I was wearing flat flip flops and one of the other moms said to me "I didn't realize you were so short" (I'm 5'2")

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
05-01-2010, 08:45 AM
I am guessing that if you meet your husband at the door wearing nothing but a pair of danskos the reaction would be different than if you were wearing heels. Yeah, I think men find heels sexy.

Green_Tea
05-01-2010, 09:15 AM
I wear Danskos every day in from Oct 1 through April 1, and they give me about 2 inches of extra height. I never wear heels. I think they look super cute when I see other people wear them and *wish* I wore them, but my feet are super small so shoes are hard to find (Dansko size 35 - most size 5s are too big on me, and so many shoe companies don't even make 5s) and I never really got the hang of it.

I'd love to see some pics of what kinds of heels you guys wear on a daily basis. Perhaps I should broaden my horizons!

SnuggleBuggles
05-01-2010, 09:34 AM
I've gone through phases with it. I had an adorable pair of slides 1 summer that had a heel and I wore them all the time. I used to keep a pair of flats in the car and some shorts so I could change if we were going to the playground since skirts and heels aren't very practical there. I had several pairs of kitten heels that I loved. I still wear them sometimes in the fall and winter but I have even cuter ballet flats right now so I wear them instead. I always wear heels if going out with friends or dh unless some other shoe really complements the outfit better. If I find great shoes, I'll wear them regardless of heel height. I did like my heeled slides though. They made me feel put together. I like my current summer shoes too though and feel good in them even though they are flat. I own sensible shoes but I try not to wear them unless I have to (long day of walking planned or something like that).

Beth

TwinFoxes
05-01-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm a fan of the kitten heel. It's still cute, but also comfy. Since I'm 5'8 without heels, I don't need the height. I had hip surgery when I was 9, so I could never wear the Carrie Bradshaw heels, although I would have liked to pre-kids. :) Also a fan of wedges.

One thing I will never wear is clogs. No offense, but they are ugly and uncomfortable to me.

JMS
05-01-2010, 09:49 AM
I wear them probably 1-2x/wk.. definitely ALWAYS on date night. I have a pair of open-toe patent pumps that are so comfy (probably a 3 1/3 - 4 inch heel) that I bought a second pair - I live it them, jeans, dresses... they are my uniform :)

arivecchi
05-01-2010, 09:57 AM
I wear heels every day during the week. I really dress up for work because I work in a pretty conservative environment. Even most of my boots are high-heeled. Glam heels make any outfit instantly better. ;) I wear flat shoes for the most part on weekends. Need to give my feet a break. LOL.

mommylamb
05-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Every day during the work week. I where wedge sandals on weekends sometimes too.

egoldber
05-01-2010, 10:05 AM
I wear them for events and if I need to dress up and give a presentation (which is pretty seldom). I find them extremely uncomfortable though and much prefer flats. I used to have a higher tolerance for them, but not so much anymore.

My MIL also ended up needing foot surgery to correct damage done by wearing heels in her youth, so I am pretty cautious about them in general.

Carrots
05-01-2010, 10:10 AM
I LUUUUUUUUUV heels and have a closet full of them (especially strappy sandals). However, this pregnancy has me wearing flats.

g-mama
05-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Green Tea asked to see what kind of heels people were talking about. These three are all shoes that I have. Sorry, I don't know how to imbed the photos into the message. I wear these all the time, with shorts, jeans or skirts, in the summer.

http://www.dsw.com/dsw_shoes/catalog/product.jsp?index=8&sort=&category=dsw11cat260004&prodId=200523&brand=

http://www.dsw.com/dsw_shoes/catalog/product.jsp?index=79&sort=&category=dsw11cat260004&prodId=191728&brand=

http://www.dsw.com/dsw_shoes/catalog/product.jsp?productRef=SEARCH&category=&prodId=201920

lmh2402
05-01-2010, 10:23 AM
I used to. All day, every day, at least 3.5 inches, sometimes 4, maybe 5 with a platform. Walked to work in heels, traveled in heels -- (bonehead move considering that the metal spike in the heel always set off the metal detectors and made me subject to special screening . . .) But that was then.

Spending years at home with the girl in flip flops (and not going to the gym) spoiled my heel-wearing skills. And now that I'm taking public transpo. every day it's a different game. I can't bring myself to wear commuter tennis shoes, so it's sensible shoes for me now.

But dangit, I will wear them again, someday, and give life to my closet full of "shoes from my life before."

this is basically me. i used to wear heels all the time...not for the added height (i'm 5'9") but b/c i loved the look

but since DS, i'm in all about flats and comfort - but in my defense, i live in a brownstone with super steep steps in and out. and we walk everywhere all the time. so shoes that are easy on and off...and secure for up and down carrying DS and stroller...are essential.

but i have so many great, fun shoes that i never wear anymore. and on the rare occasion that i do, my feet hurt and my ankle wobble! sad...

Green_Tea
05-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Green Tea asked to see what kind of heels people were talking about. These three are all shoes that I have. Sorry, I don't know how to imbed the photos into the message. I wear these all the time, with shorts, jeans or skirts, in the summer.

http://www.dsw.com/dsw_shoes/catalog/product.jsp?index=8&sort=&category=dsw11cat260004&prodId=200523&brand=

http://www.dsw.com/dsw_shoes/catalog/product.jsp?index=79&sort=&category=dsw11cat260004&prodId=191728&brand=

http://www.dsw.com/dsw_shoes/catalog/product.jsp?productRef=SEARCH&category=&prodId=201920

All super cute, especially the last ones! I wish they came in my size!

m448
05-01-2010, 10:54 AM
I used to wear my mom's heels pretty well as a kid. As a little girl my mom would sometimes find little girls heel like dance shoes for me. By the time I was a teen I was wearing 4" heels almost exclusively which continued until I had kids. Babywearing and chasing after the other kids put a crime on the super high heels. Now I limit the heels to 2" on a daiy basis because most flats make me feel like I'm falling backwards. On the weekend if dh is going with me I'll put on a higher wedge but like Beth mentioned I'm wary of ending up with hammer toes like my my mom another life long heel wearer. So I alternate with 1" wedges or some comfy bit glitzy flip flops.

Eta: another 5' short here too.

sunshine873
05-01-2010, 11:04 AM
You mean there are summer shoes other than flip flops? HaHa. I have a pair of wedges that I like, but I don't wear them very often, unless I'm going somewhere without DD. I'm kind of klutzy and I'm leery of wearing any heel if I'm going to be carrying her, chasing her, etc.

I do find wedges to be a little more stable though, and love the last pair that g-mama posted. Cute, cute, cute! I might actually buy a pair...

arivecchi
05-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Hello, my name is arivecchi and I am a shoe addict.

http://picasaweb.google.com/LPMomChitown/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCMj0kZCnhsWpVA&pli=1&gsessionid=KLVeYypCHKE-eKpoHwSYGw#

elektra
05-01-2010, 11:28 AM
I am totally inspired to go buy a new pair of heels now.

lchang25000
05-01-2010, 11:46 AM
I use to wear high heels ALL THE TIME when I lived in LA and before DS was born. Now I rarely do...only when I "go out" or for special occasions.

g-mama
05-01-2010, 12:01 PM
arivecchi - I love your collection! Did you take those pics just for this occasion or do you have them just so you can admire them when you're away from home? :) I love it. I took a pic of some awesome black 4" wedges last summer and posted them on FB as "my new BFFs." :ROTFLMAO: I am sure many people thought I was crazy!

Off to go get a pedi for a party we're going to later today. Can't wear the sandals without a nice pedicure! :D

arivecchi
05-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Lol! I took the pics in honor of your thread! Have fun getting your pedi!

mamicka
05-01-2010, 02:43 PM

Oh - I guess I don't consider those heels - which probably doesn't make much sense. When I hear "heels" I think more along the lines of pumps. The shoes in the links I would consider every-day shoes for looking nice. I don't wear them that much at the moment since I've been getting foot cramps with this pregnancy. I do occasionally wear dressy heels to church or the like. At home or doing kid-stuff I'm more often in tennies or flatter shoes lately. I've only just been able to wear flat-flat shoes - they used to make me feel like I was falling backward. I'm also short at 5'2".

g-mama
05-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Oh - I guess I don't consider those heels - which probably doesn't make much sense. When I hear "heels" I think more along the lines of pumps. The shoes in the links I would consider every-day shoes for looking nice. I don't wear them that much at the moment since I've been getting foot cramps with this pregnancy. I do occasionally wear dressy heels to church or the like. At home or doing kid-stuff I'm more often in tennies or flatter shoes lately. I've only just been able to wear flat-flat shoes - they used to make me feel like I was falling backward. I'm also short at 5'2".

Yeah, that's what I consider heels nowadays. I would never wear pumps for day-to-day stuff since I don't work in an office and don't dress up in business attire or party dresses during the day. I feel like a lot of the shoes I hear people talk about here are clogs, Keens, Danskos, Merrells, etc. and those aren't shoes I wear. As far as sneakers, I only wear those for the gym.

gatorsmom
05-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Oh definitely. But I never wear anything higher than 3 3/4 inches. Anything higher than that and I can't walk AND it hurts my feet.

I am also not that comfortable in ballet flats with no support/padding in them. Those are almost as bad as superhigh stillettos, IMHO.

mom2binsd
05-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Another high-heel mama here! I'm even shorter than you--5 ft 0 inches :)

I love my heels too. I love sandal wedges. I feel funny without at least 2 inches--that would be just for my most casual--parks, grocery stores, taking out the trash ;)

I'm 4'11", and wear them almost all the time, I do not own a pair of flats, I have tried on ballet flats and think they seem so uncomfortable and make my legs look awful.

I wear lower more sensible heels/heeled loafers at work (I work in nursing homes), but when I go out it's pointy toed boots/pumps and heeled sandals/slides even my flip flops are "heels".

If I didn't wear heels all my pants would drag on the ground and alterations would kill me (and finding someone to alter and getting the clothes there is another story).

AJP
05-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Love my heels!!!! It was tough for me to get used to wearing flats when I was hugely pg with the twins. I must admit that it isn't as comfortable as it used to be with these extra 25lbs hanging around now though.

maestramommy
05-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Okay, even before kids, the only time I wore heels was for performances. Now it might sound totally masochistic to wear heels while conducting, but I'm short too (just shy of 5'2"), so I really need that height.

Otherwise my job required me to be comfortable as well as professional, and heels would be torture. They could also be dangerous, since I was often running from here to there. :p

I did discover and buy a pair of Dansko pumps that are seriously the most comfy pumps I've ever worn! But they look a little dressy so the last time I wore them was for a performance :p

Once I've weaned and shed my baby weight I'm busting out with a more chipper wardrobe! I don't know why this makes a difference, but it does.

boolady
05-01-2010, 09:18 PM
I wear heels every day during the week. I really dress up for work because I work in a pretty conservative environment. Even most of my boots are high-heeled. Glam heels make any outfit instantly better. ;) I wear flat shoes for the most part on weekends. Need to give my feet a break. LOL.

This is exactly my situation. I work in a conservative environment, keep my suits simple, and try to jazz things up with shoes and appropriate jewelry (sometimes). I can't picture not wearing heels to work with dresses, skirts, and pantsuits. But on the weekends, I love flats and MJ sneakers and flip flops. By Friday, my dogs are tired. :)

pastrygirl
05-01-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm jealous, too. I wish I could wear heels! I can't even wear shoes with a 1" heel. They have to be completely flat and I have to fit my orthodics in them... Sometimes I don't use my orthodics if I find flats that are cute but can't fit them.

I also can't wear slip-on flats. I have to have something around my ankle or a mary-jane strap for shoes to stay on. I've been searching for years to find something without a strap, to no avail.

boolady
05-01-2010, 09:20 PM
I also can't wear slip-on flats. I have to have something around my ankle or a mary-jane strap for shoes to stay on. I've been searching for years to find something without a strap, to no avail.

Are you talking office appropriate, or weekend appropriate? I'm going to spam you now, even though you didn't ask for it...I just got these Merrell MJs and wore them for the first time today while out and about with DD. They are really cute and super comfy.

http://www.onlineshoes.com/womens-merrell-circuit-mj-breeze-berry-p_id141879

pastrygirl
05-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Are you talking office appropriate, or weekend appropriate? I'm going to spam you now, even though you didn't ask for it...I just got these Merrell MJs and wore them for the first time today while out and about with DD. They are really cute and super comfy.

http://www.onlineshoes.com/womens-merrell-circuit-mj-breeze-berry-p_id141879I mean that I've been looking for something without a strap, because all my shoes -- casual like the ones you posted, or dressier ones, have straps. I'd love to be able to wear something like this: http://www.zappos.com/french-sole-sloop-red-suede

But no can do. My foot comes right out when I walk. I need a strap, which totally changes the look of the shoe.

boolady
05-01-2010, 09:45 PM
I mean that I've been looking for something without a strap, because all my shoes -- casual like the ones you posted, or dressier ones, have straps. I'd love to be able to wear something like this: http://www.zappos.com/french-sole-sloop-red-suede

But no can do. My foot comes right out when I walk. I need a strap, which totally changes the look of the shoe.

Ah. Now I understand. That does stink.

salsah
05-02-2010, 01:43 PM
you mamas inspired me, i pulled out some heels (older than dd1) from my closet last night thinking that i would wear them for date night. i found some wedge sandals that were classic enough to wear now and i could get away with wearing them with pants to hide the fact that my heel stuck out the back (my feet grew with each pregnancy so none of my other shoes fit). i thought it would be nice just for this one night since dh and i were going out w/o the girls for the first time in years. i showed dh (while wearing the knee length skirt that i had on during the day), and he smiled, i couldn't see his face sort of light up. yes, i shaved my legs that morning and got a pedicure so i have to admit that my legs and feet looked hot in those sandals. even though i didn't need to ask, i told him that i was thinking about wearing them that night and asked how they looked. he said "they look nice . . . but i don't think you should wear them, i'm afraid of what they might do to your back."
i wasn't uncomfortable, but i do have a bad back and knew that we would probably walk around a bit after dinner dinner, so i didn't wear them. but it was so tempting!

catpagmo
05-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks for this thread, g-mama! It inspired me to go out and buy some new heels:

http://base1.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=http://content.nordstrom.com/imagegallery/store/product/gigantic/2/_5966382.jpg&size=17&dhm=6e52448b&hl=en

http://base0.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=http://content.nordstrom.com/imagegallery/store/product/gigantic/0/_6062080.jpg&size=17&dhm=870b55fb&hl=en

Thanks! I'd forgotten how much I love shoes!

lizzywednesday
05-06-2010, 03:41 PM

I have flat feet, too & wore New Balance 1122s thru my entire pregnancy for everyday shoes & flats for dress ... with one splurge: 1.5" heel Sofft for my brother's wedding in January (I was 32 wks along.)

But ... I love heels and am constantly on the lookout for good ones in widths.

Now that Dr. Scholls and AirPlus make low-profile inserts/arch supports for women's shoes, it's easier to be comfy in the higher heels I favor ... I'm talking 3"+ ... and I am 5'8".

clc053103
05-06-2010, 03:44 PM
SAHM here and I love stilletos and platforms! and I'm 5'8" as well!!! If I am dressed up at all (including jeans and a nice top) I most likely am wearing heels.

g-mama
05-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks for this thread, g-mama! It inspired me to go out and buy some new heels:

Thanks! I'd forgotten how much I love shoes!

Sure! Glad to be an enabler. ;)

salsah
05-06-2010, 06:16 PM
i forgot to come back to mention that i did end up wearing those sandals the next day when we went out for dinner with my parents. it felt good and looked good too. i'm really tempted to buy some new ones (that fit me!) now.