PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone's baby become more active towards the end of pregnancy?

citymama
05-01-2010, 02:36 AM
OK, this is going to sound crazy, but...in the last 24 hours, the baby seems to be moving around in a totally different way. I'm at 39 weeks today. After a couple of weeks of gradually decreased movement, and a reliable pattern of movement (quiet during day, busy at night), this baby seems to have gotten very busy in the last 24 hours. And in a completely different way than before - not scary different, but positionally different. I don't want to even say it, but I guess it's possible she's moved into breech. I feel a lot more activity towards the top of the fundus - small body parts moving frequently through the day, and some larger parts on the right side moving a lot too. I felt hiccups on the upper right side when just a few days ago they were all the way down towards the abdomen.

As of Monday - 4 days ago, when I had an ultrasound - the baby was in launching position, left anterior, optimally primed. If she is making large, new movements at this stage I can only think - hmm, can't be good. I am hoping there's some good scenario I haven't heard of that would account for the different and increased movement (eg head descending further into my abdomen could make for more wiggle room up above?). Since DD1 was breech until my ECV at 37 weeks, I do remember this feeling of lots of movement high in the fundus.

The mystery will be solved at my next u/s on Monday, but meanwhile I'm not sure what to do over the weekend - try and make space for the baby to move back - or not do so in case this is some kind of more optimal positioning I'm not familiar with! Wondering if anyone else experienced something like this late in the pregnancy. Thanks for listening.

sariana
05-01-2010, 05:58 PM
I would guess baby is just getting ready for the big day.

My DD WAS breech, and I was on bed rest to boot. So most options for turning were out of the question. One simple thing to try is to lie on your back with your feet and knees elevated, such as on a couch with you feet on the armrest or up the back. It didn't work for me, but I wasn't very diligent about doing it, either. My DD was born at 36 weeks, so maybe she would have turned if we had had more time.

Anyway, whether your baby is breech or not, you could try lying in this postion several times a day. I'm sure you don't need an excuse to relax!

citymama
05-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks sariana. I will wait for Monday's u/s before doing the elevated feet trick. I successfully used that to turn DD1 at about 35 weeks but at this point I don't want to give the baby more opportunities to turn around if she is in the right position!

Reina
05-01-2010, 09:22 PM
At week 37, one day DS started going crazy inside. Within 48 hours we had him in our arms :)
Good luck mama! I hope all goes like a breeze and you'll have your little one in your arms safe and healthy!

JTsMom
05-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Bumping to see if you had your u/s yet. Crossing my fingers that baby is in proper launching position!

WatchingThemGrow
05-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Hmm...I got back from my trip and saw your thread. I thought, "She's STILL pregnant, just waiting?" :) Looking forward to the update!!!

citymama
05-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Yes, still pregnant, and still waiting! The good news is, baby is head down and didn't turn as I feared. It looks like she might have just dropped and so has more wiggle room. Whew!

My due date isn't till Friday - and DD1 was 11 days post-term - so I expect to be waiting at least some days more! Thank you all for the good wishes and concern.

sariana
05-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Yay for baby! Now you can relax and enjoy these last few days. We'll be watching for an announcement soon!

JTsMom
05-03-2010, 06:23 PM
:cheerleader1::cheerleader1::cheerleader1: Woohhooooooo!:cheerleader1::cheerleader1::cheerlea der1:

citymama
05-03-2010, 07:31 PM
:cheerleader1::cheerleader1::cheerleader1: Woohhooooooo!:cheerleader1::cheerleader1::cheerlea der1:

Sending head-first baby thoughts your way, Lori!

JTsMom
05-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks. No luck yet though, at least I'm pretty sure. I can't seem to get him to budge an inch, and the position he is in is killing my back. I work on all of the breech flipping tricks every day, but they aren't doing a darn thing. I'm supposed to see the OB on Wed morning, so we'll see what she has to say. I never did switch- I decided to stick it out and speak with her first. I can still switch afterward if I need to. Coming up on 36 weeks here, so the clock is definitely ticking.