PDA

View Full Version : children's Motrin, Tylenol, Zyrtec, and Benadryl recall

octmom
05-01-2010, 07:32 AM
A few days ago, I saw a mention here about a children's Zyrtec recall, but I did not know about the others. I tossed our Zyrtec a few days ago and just found that I also have three bottles of Motrin (no idea why we have so many!) and one Tylenol on the list. :(

Here is the info for anyone who wants to check their medicine cabinet:http://www.mcneilproductrecall.com/page.jhtml?id=/include/new_recall.inc

PAfirsttimemom
05-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Great. Four bottles of Tylenol and Motrin in my cabinet. All recalled. I've given them all to DCs already with no problems, but I guess we shouldn't use again? Wonder what we should use if necessary? Tylenol and Motrin products are usually what the ped recommends. Thanks for posting this.

Momit
05-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks OP! The website said the recall is for "all lots that have not yet expired."

elizabethkott
05-01-2010, 08:42 AM
And *this* explains why I haven't been able to find J's zyrtec!
We were able to get 3 packs of the single dose spoons (which are NOT on the recall list) that we half for him. So this could be an option for others whose little ones are suffering with the horrific pollen levels this year.

Jo..
05-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Ugh, I have 3 bottles of the stuff, and I want my money back. :(

Momit
05-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Ugh, I have 3 bottles of the stuff, and I want my money back. :(

:yeahthat: We also have several bottles

I didn't see anything about how to get your money back, they just said to discontinue use.

Nu_mama
05-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Agreed, several bottles at my house and one I keep at my mom's for DS's awful allergies. Would love to get my money back--this stuff is spendy. A little off-topic, but has anyone used Costco's generic (Kirkland?) version of children's zyrtec? I saw it there for about $13/2 bottles.

Momof3Labs
05-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Ugh, we probably have some, too. I had four bottles of Tylenol involved in the last recall and was really annoyed that they weren't offering a refund that time around either. I should have called the company but just ended up tossing them. If we fall under this current recall, too, I am definitely going to call.

elliput
05-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Great. :irked: I have 4 items on the recall list because I only purchase dye-free now due to DD's reaction to Red 40, and I have yet to find dye-free generics. I would also like a refund.

Nu_mama
05-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Wait, if my NDC # is different from those on the list , am I fine? This must just be a different batch even though it is Zyrtec grape dye-free, right?

Andi98989
05-01-2010, 10:53 AM
I called the McNeil number listed in the press release and asked if they would be providing any sort of compensation; the representative told me to call back on Monday when they would have all their information together on the recall.

FYI - press 9 to skip through everything and get to a rep.

almostamom
05-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Thank you for posting this. I saw it on FB as well, but I appreciate the extra info we always seem to get from the BBB. I had a one bottle each of Motrin and Tylenol, but I'm guessing that the 3 bottles of Benadryl I have in DS' classrooms and nurse's office are probably part of the recall as well. I will definitely be calling about a refund on Monday.

Linda

Momit
05-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Great. :irked: I have 4 items on the recall list because I only purchase dye-free now due to DD's reaction to Red 40, and I have yet to find dye-free generics. I would also like a refund.

We have some Safeway (grocery store) brand dye-free ibuprofen, plus the name brand Tylenol dye-free that is in the recall. I was wondering if the Safeway brand would be recalled, too. I couldn't find anything on the Safeway website but I think generics are sometimes made by the name-brand manufacturers. Anyone seen anything on this?

srhs
05-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks for posting!

Great, I gave DS1 some of the dyefree Tyl at 1am...and quite a bit of tyl and ibu, really, over the illnesses of this past winter.

sarahsthreads
05-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Ugh. OK, now I'm just plain ticked, because we've got a couple of bottles of both infant and children's dye-free motrin I have to toss! I had to get rid of a couple of bottles of tylenol last time. And a giant bottle of adult motrin from yet another recall. So basically the next time I need to buy some sort of fever reducing medication for anyone in my household maybe I'd be better off just burning the money instead! :angry-smiley-005:

Is it just the suspensions that keep getting recalled? Maybe I should switch to the chewable tablets? Even DD2 weighs enough for the smallest chewable tablet dose...

Sarah :)

DrSally
05-01-2010, 11:35 AM
They really should be giving $$ back. I checked my stuff and it's all Target brand. I'm assuming it's a different manufacturer, or that would also be incl. in the recall.

KpbS
05-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Argh!!! 1 dose benadryl left and 1 full bottle. Does anyone know if generics are affected?

MrsMcGwire
05-01-2010, 12:07 PM
DH took our Tylenol back to Target this morning and they gave him a refund and he returned the Motrin to Costco and they gave him a gift card. Target had all of their stock pulled so DH just got the Up and Up brand.

catpagmo
05-01-2010, 12:24 PM
This is ridiculous! How many times are they going to recall this stuff before anything is done about it? I feel horrible knowing that I have given my kids medicine that is supposed to make them better, and instead, it could have a higher concentration of active ingredients, does not meet quality standards, or could have particles in it. WTH!

I have 5 bottles of these products. I'm calling about a refund, too. :angry-smiley-005:

amandabea
05-01-2010, 12:59 PM
We have 1 bottle each of Tylenol, Motrin and Benadryl. I just called and they are sending me coupons for each. 888-222-6036, hit 9 to bypass the message and they you'll be on hold. It was on hold about 10 mins.

PMJ
05-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Wait, if my NDC # is different from those on the list , am I fine? This must just be a different batch even though it is Zyrtec grape dye-free, right?

I was wondering just the same thing!! I have the Children's Benadryl (4oz.) -- cherry flavor, not the bubblegum flavor.

I am guessing it is fine.?

ett
05-01-2010, 01:24 PM
I was at CVS picking up the generic versions and the salesperson said they would give store credit if you bring back the recalled items.

I have 2 bottles of the Zyrtec that is in the glass bottle. The number is the same but it's only dye-free, not sugar free, dye free. Does anyone know if those are okay?

ett
05-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Agreed, several bottles at my house and one I keep at my mom's for DS's awful allergies. Would love to get my money back--this stuff is spendy. A little off-topic, but has anyone used Costco's generic (Kirkland?) version of children's zyrtec? I saw it there for about $13/2 bottles.

I'm wondering the same thing. It was $15 for 2 8 oz bottles so that's way cheaper than the brand name which are 4 oz bottles.

Jo..
05-01-2010, 01:52 PM
I called 3 times and each time hit 9 to talk to a rep and each time it hung up on me. 4th time is the charm. I am on hold for a rep right now (on speaker). Gimmee my money back! :ROTFLMAO:

Jo..
05-01-2010, 02:05 PM
FYI I don't see Sudafed on the list unless I am blind. I asked cs because it is also from McNeil group, and they said that is recalled too.

They are sending me coupons for replacement items.

eta I was on the phone for 24 minutes total including hold time, while I surfed the net and folded laundry. Worth it to me for $30ish dollars (4 bottles).

tmahanes
05-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Absolutely LOVE that the Tylenol that I just bought on MONDAY is on here! :mad: Off to Target to get my money back!

calv
05-01-2010, 02:24 PM
4 bottles here! uggh. What a huge PITB

ETA: just called to put our 'claim' in. wait wasn't too bad. Roughly about 10 minutes or so

MamaSnoo
05-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks for posting this.....I saw it hear first!!

But, bummer.....I have 3 affected bottles at home, one of which is not even open yet. can't remember where I bought it (DS.com/target/walgreens). I am probably SOL for a refund.

calv
05-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks for posting this.....I saw it hear first!!

But, bummer.....I have 3 affected bottles at home, one of which is not even open yet. can't remember where I bought it (DS.com/target/walgreens). I am probably SOL for a refund.

why SOL? I would think almost anyplace would give you a store credit w/no problems at all since it's a recall

lalasmama
05-01-2010, 02:52 PM
I just bought Infant Tylenol for a friend's baby shower tomorrow. UGH. It was recalled. STUPID WALMART! I was wondering why BRU was so bare in their medicine section. Guess I know why now.

srhs
05-01-2010, 03:01 PM
DH took our Tylenol back to Target this morning and they gave him a refund and he returned the Motrin to Costco and they gave him a gift card. Target had all of their stock pulled so DH just got the Up and Up brand.
Curious if Target took your DH's license and counted it against his "non-receipt return" limit?

Sillygirl
05-01-2010, 03:09 PM
My Walgreen's ibuprofen and acetaminophen state "This product is not manufactured or distributed by MacNeil." That might be an option for those of you that need to buy something soon.

Yay generics!

ThreeofUs
05-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Gosh DARN it. I've been up with two sick kids for the last 5 nights and GUESS what I've been giving them.

Darn it. Darnit. Darnit.

salsah
05-01-2010, 05:00 PM
for those of you returning yours to stores, are you able to do that because you haven't open it/have the receipt? i have some that are open, no box, no receipt. do i have to toss them or can i return them?

mecawa
05-01-2010, 05:02 PM
8 bottles in my cabinet have been recalled, and my kids have been both sick and suffering from allergies this past month, I don't think there is anything on that list they haven't been given!!!!

baileygirl
05-01-2010, 06:19 PM
We returned ours to Costco today. We had 2 bottles of children's and 1 mostly full bottle of infant's. They gave us a full refund for what we had originally purchased (I believe on a costo gc). I am guessing they pulled up that we had bought it by info on our costco card.

SnuggleBuggles
05-01-2010, 07:49 PM
I'm glad I am cheap and buy store brand stuff (I found that Walgreen's has dye free ibuprofen- I had been buying brand name for that feature). Of course, this will likely wind up recalled too. Oh, actually ds1 has Zyrtec that we just finished several days ago and probably part of the recall. All gone now though, including packaging.

Beth

erosenst
05-01-2010, 08:28 PM
For those asking about store brands - the active ingredients are identical (or technically, identical or within what's known as a bioequivalent range)to the brand names. The generics are cheaper because a) they didn't pay the research and development fees to develop and patent a working formula and b) they don't pay to advertise.

Once in a great while there is an inactive ingredient that will bother a minority of people - but that can happen in the brand names as well. (Things like the Red Dye 40 that a PP mentioned.)

Usually, the generics aren't produced by the same company that makes the brand names. Perrigo makes a large portion of the generics for what has been recalled, although others do as well. That's why the generics aren't impacted by this.

Not surprisingly, knowing all of the above, we use generics for everything - childrens' and adults. Tylenol, Advil/Motrin, aspirin, Zyrtec, Claritin, Mucinex, Sudafed, etc. We save literally hundreds of dollars a year this way.

infomama
05-01-2010, 08:57 PM
4 bottles!! Totally cleared out our medicine cabinet. Great.

MamaMolly
05-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Well color me pissed off because the bottle of Tylenol DD2 was dispensed on THURSDAY at the freakin' HOSPITAL has been recalled. :irked: Now that just sucks.

Thank God for generics. I have a new (bought on clearance no less!!) bottle of the Target Up and Up.

purpleeyes
05-01-2010, 10:32 PM
4 bottles!! Totally cleared out our medicine cabinet. Great.

Yep. :duh:

newg
05-01-2010, 10:49 PM
yup, I have two bottles...we just bought them last Sunday for DD's fever and teething!!
I just sent them an email with info for both bottles, so I'm really hoping that I get some refund checks in the mail....that stuff is expensive!!

kep
05-02-2010, 12:03 AM
They really should be giving $$ back. I checked my stuff and it's all Target brand. I'm assuming it's a different manufacturer, or that would also be incl. in the recall.

Yes, this. Our meds are all Target generic, too. I guess they are fine.

deborah_r
05-02-2010, 12:36 AM
Has anyone used Children's Advil? Shouldn't that be about the same as Children's Motrin? I saw it at the store tonight, where all of the Tylenol and Motrin had been cleared out.

lalasmama
05-02-2010, 02:59 AM
Has anyone used Children's Advil? Shouldn't that be about the same as Children's Motrin? I saw it at the store tonight, where all of the Tylenol and Motrin had been cleared out.

Children's Advil is equivelant to Children's Motrin. Same medicine, just a different manufacturer.

GvilleGirl
05-02-2010, 07:48 AM
The website now says that you can get a refund or a coupon for a free product. You can either call or email them from the site and include the NDC and lot numbers.

http://www.mcneilproductrecall.com/

boogiemomz
05-02-2010, 09:08 AM
The website now says that you can get a refund or a coupon for a free product. You can either call or email them from the site and include the NDC and lot numbers.

:applause: as it should be... yay!! thanks for the heads up!

Snow mom
05-02-2010, 10:37 AM

Where is the NDC number listed on the product? I see the descriptions of what we have on the list, but I can't find the NDC on the bottles. I'm sure the products we have are recalled. Do I just give the NDC as listed on the website for the products we have? So annoyed about this...

Also, where do you see that consumers can get a refund or a coupon for a free product? I'm not seeing that on the website at all.

ETA: NM, I don't know why I didn't see it say for "information about receiving a refund or coupon."

boogiemomz
05-02-2010, 12:14 PM
the NDC code on my infant tylenol drops was listed on the paper instructions that you peel off the bottle, because we never peeled it off. if it's peeled off, i don't see it anywhere on the inner label. you could just list the lot number, i guess?

salsah
05-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Where is the NDC number listed on the product? I see the descriptions of what we have on the list, but I can't find the NDC on the bottles. I'm sure the products we have are recalled. Do I just give the NDC as listed on the website for the products we have? So annoyed about this...

i found the ndc at the top of the label, on the front of the bottle, just above the brand name. the print is tiny.

catpagmo
05-02-2010, 12:35 PM

Also, where do you see that consumers can get a refund or a coupon for a free product? I'm not seeing that on the website at all.

ETA: NM, I don't know why I didn't see it say for "information about receiving a refund or coupon."

Ok, I can't find where it says anything about a refund. Where do I look?

AJP
05-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Just a FYI, my Target took 2 opened bottles and one new (in sealed box) back for store credit.

GvilleGirl
05-02-2010, 03:05 PM
It was in the FAQ section.

Will you be offering a refund for the product I purchased and has been recalled?

Yes
McNeil is offering two options for consumers who have purchased products affected by this recall. You can receive either a refund for the average retail price of the product or a coupon for a free replacement (s) when the product becomes available again. You can do this by selecting one of the three ways to contact us on the right side of our www.mcneilproductrecall.com home page. To process your refund or coupon you will need the NDC number and Lot number from the product that has been recalled. The NDC number can be found above the brand name on the label of the bottle. The Lot number can also be found on the label and is usually placed vertically on the label.

Tondi G
05-02-2010, 06:51 PM
So what is the issue with the meds? Is there something in there that could make my children sick? I've been giving my little guy the Motrin that is recalled since Friday night! Guess I better make a trip to CVS or Target and get some generic brand in case his fever returns.

DrSally
05-02-2010, 08:08 PM
So what is the issue with the meds? Is there something in there that could make my children sick? I've been giving my little guy the Motrin that is recalled since Friday night! Guess I better make a trip to CVS or Target and get some generic brand in case his fever returns.

Either there is too much active ingred, ingred that aren't supposed to be in there or "particles".

wendibird22
05-02-2010, 08:13 PM
CVS took back my open and unopened bottles of motrin, tylenol, and bendryl. One was just about empty. They gave me store credit.

Melaine
05-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks for letting us know. I hadn't heard about this, and also have some of the Benedryl.

WatchingThemGrow
05-02-2010, 08:49 PM
We have 4 bottles of Tylenol, plus one Zyrtec that didn't make the cut. Filled out the email us form on the recall site with all the NDC numbers and exp. dates. Is that all you do?

rlu
05-03-2010, 02:30 AM
I had two unopened bottles affected by the recall. I had a receipt for one from Walgreens (purchased in Apr10) and they gave me credit for both. Note he couldn't pull up a price for the items since the register came up "do not sell" (or similar wording) but used the price from my receipt for both items (sucks a bit since the one on the receipt was on sale, but at least I got a fast refund rather than wait around).

I didn't bother getting replacements as I found unexpired generics at home in my search for any possible recall items. My dad tried to get adult tylenol the other day and Walgreens had cleared out all the Tylenol products, not sure if the non-recalled items were back on the shelf today or not.

ahrimie
05-03-2010, 06:51 AM
Thanks OP! The website said the recall is for "all lots that have not yet expired."

I'm sorry, where can I find that? None of mine are expired but I don't see that line anywhere.

o_mom
05-03-2010, 07:31 AM
I'm sorry, where can I find that? None of mine are expired but I don't see that line anywhere.

From the link in the first post:

"McNeil Consumer Healthcare, Division of McNEIL-PPC, Inc., in consultation with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), is voluntarily recalling all lots that have not yet expired of certain over-the-counter (OTC) Children’s and Infants’ liquid products..."

Has anyone found more info on Sudafed?

That's the only thing we have since we mainly buy generics of the other stuff (children's Sudafed is hard to find around here so sometime they only have the brand name).

ahrimie
05-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks for pointing that for me... again! I swear I kept reading and re-reading it!!

But I'm so confused.. why would we have unexpired meds for our kids anyway??

MamaMolly
05-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks for pointing that for me... again! I swear I kept reading and re-reading it!!

But I'm so confused.. why would we have unexpired meds for our kids anyway??

I think you mean why would we have expired? :)

I'm guessing that the wording is their way of saying that they aren't going to refund for expired medicine since (as you pointed out) why would we be giving that to our kids anyway. (Except in a pinch I'd do it, if I had no other alternative on hand. ALso I've been surprised to find that the tiny bottle of meds I'm toting in the diaper bag has expired)

clc053103
05-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Not sure if anyone else searching for generic zyrtec (our local target was literally cleaned out)- I was able to find it at CVS- their brand, 4 oz bottle $7.99 and it came with another free 4 oz bottle- so 8 oz for $7.99- a great deal! And I confirmed it is not manufactured by McNeil.

calv
05-03-2010, 01:46 PM
whats' everyone buying/using to replace tylenol and motrin?

catpagmo
05-03-2010, 01:52 PM

I was in a pinch last night and bought the Walgreen's brand infants' (for DS) and childrens' (for DD) ibuprofen. DS is teething and I needed something. It worked well.

edurnemk
05-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Great, there goes 80% of our medicine cabinet... I guess I'm off to CVs to try to find some generics.

I used to work in Quality Assurance for a pharma company, and later Process Validation, and I just cannot believe so many batches and products went out with possible problems undetected. How is it possible?!

ett
05-03-2010, 02:14 PM

I'm just replacing with generics.

Veronica's Mommy
05-03-2010, 02:31 PM
I have been incredibly preoccupied this week, and just now found out about this so thanks!!
I found one bottle in the recall & another bottle w/ a different NDC. However, I'm not feeling real secure about giving DS the "safe" one. Filled in an online request for a refund. You need the NDC & lot #- so hopefully you all haven't thrown away your bottles yet!
When will this end? It's sickening.

LMPC
05-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Just got back from CVS...tried to buy their store brand of baby motrin and/or tylenol and they all HAVE FREAKIN' PARABENS IN THEM!!! Guess I'm off to Target tomorrow to check Up & Up -- anyone know if they have parabens in them?

ett
05-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Just got back from CVS...tried to buy their store brand of baby motrin and/or tylenol and they all HAVE FREAKIN' PARABENS IN THEM!!! Guess I'm off to Target tomorrow to check Up & Up -- anyone know if they have parabens in them?

I don't know but I'm guessing that most of the store generics are made by the same manufacturer.

octmom
05-03-2010, 08:50 PM

I bought Up & Up (Target generic) children's ibuprofen oral suspension yesterday. The box says "Compare to the active ingredient in Children's Motrin Dye-Free."

Active ingredient(in each 5mL= 1 tsp): Ibuprofen 100mg

Inactive ingredients: anhydrous citric acid, butylparaben, corn syrup, flavor, glycerin, hypromellose, polysorbate 80, propylene glycol, purified water, sodium benzoate, sorbitol, xanthan gum.

Yuck. I hadn't checked the inactive ingredients. Corn syrup? Butylparaben? :( I haven't opened it yet and may take it back.

ett
05-03-2010, 09:53 PM
I bought Up & Up (Target generic) children's ibuprofen oral suspension yesterday. The box says "Compare to the active ingredient in Children's Motrin Dye-Free."

Active ingredient(in each 5mL= 1 tsp): Ibuprofen 100mg

Inactive ingredients: anhydrous citric acid, butylparaben, corn syrup, flavor, glycerin, hypromellose, polysorbate 80, propylene glycol, purified water, sodium benzoate, sorbitol, xanthan gum.

Yuck. I hadn't checked the inactive ingredients. Corn syrup? Butylparaben? :( I haven't opened it yet and may take it back.

But what would you use as an alternative? I don't think the ingredient list in the brand name is much better.

I've pretty much given up on worrying about the ingredient list in DS's medications. All of their eczema creams contain parabens and DS2's Singulair contains aspartame. But they need these medications and there's no alternative. DS1 wanted to take the chewable Claritin instead of the liquid, but the chewable has aspartame so I told him we're staying on the liquid.

LMPC
05-03-2010, 10:05 PM
The McNeill brand had polysorbate 80 but no parabens. Is there such thing as baby Advil? Maybe I'll try that.

octmom
05-03-2010, 10:31 PM
But what would you use as an alternative? I don't think the ingredient list in the brand name is much better.

I've pretty much given up on worrying about the ingredient list in DS's medications. All of their eczema creams contain parabens and DS2's Singulair contains aspartame. But they need these medications and there's no alternative. DS1 wanted to take the chewable Claritin instead of the liquid, but the chewable has aspartame so I told him we're staying on the liquid.

Motrin doesn't contain parabens or corn syrup. Of course I don't know when it will be back on the shelves, so I should probably hold onto this generic in case we need it. Looking at the generic label reminded me why I usually buy the name brand OTC medicines. I hadn't checked the inactive ingredients in a while.

AnnieW625
05-04-2010, 07:25 PM
We have a bottle of the childrens' Dye Free Motrin so it will be tossed. We'll most likely be able to get Childrens Advil for the time being at Kaiser so that should help in the meantime if DD needs any pain meds.

megs4413
05-05-2010, 01:15 AM
I don't know what to do here..DS is having surgery tomorrow and this is what we use to manage pain at home. GAH!

elektra
05-05-2010, 02:28 AM
I don't know what to do here..DS is having surgery tomorrow and this is what we use to manage pain at home. GAH!

Can you get a generic?
P & PT for his surgery!

deborah_r
05-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Just saw a CNN story about the conditions at the factory. I think we are going to be without these products for a while folks. In fact, I'm not sure I want to go back to them. :(

Trying to figure out if the recall is still limited to that first list of products that came out Saturday-ish...

DrSally
05-05-2010, 04:07 PM

Yep, I would just use the generic. I agree with pp's that the ingred. list on the Target ones isn't great, but I figure that I use it so infrequently (a few times a year) that I'm not going to worry about it.

elektra
05-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Yep, I would just use the generic. I agree with pp's that the ingred. list on the Target ones isn't great, but I figure that I use it so infrequently (a few times a year) that I'm not going to worry about it.
Same here. I just picked up some CVS generic today.

MontrealMum
05-06-2010, 12:18 AM
Ugh, I finally got around to checking out the recall site. Of course, there's a different one for Canada, and only a few types of Motrin and 1 Tylenol are listed. We have one of the Motrin packages so I put in for a refund.

Call me paranoid, but I'm still not feeling too happy about our Tylenol and Benadryl. I know they're distributed differently, but it doesn't make me feel good that they're on the US list, but not the Canadian one. Off to do more reading. We also do Tempra for pain which is also acetominophin but distributed by a different company, but I don't want to replace Benadryl with a generic allergy med. It's just so known as *the* go-to for hives or any beginning allergic reaction :(

wellyes
05-07-2010, 08:47 AM
So Tylenol is offering a refund to parents who've bought their recalled products. To get the refund, you must give your address, PHONE NUMBER and EMAIL ADDRESS. Are they serious? They "need" my phone number?

Shame on them for turning their crisis into a way to reap customer data.

Melaine
05-07-2010, 09:34 AM
What about Advil? It's ok?

ett
05-07-2010, 09:34 AM
What about Advil? It's ok?

Advil is fine.

Melaine
05-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Advil is fine.

Thanks. Happy to hear it as we just gave some last night.

KpbS
05-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks. Happy to hear it as we just gave some last night.

We love children's advil here. It is really hard to find children's medicine w/o artificial sweeteners.

LarsMal
05-07-2010, 12:16 PM
So Tylenol is offering a refund to parents who've bought their recalled products. To get the refund, you must give your address, PHONE NUMBER and EMAIL ADDRESS. Are they serious? They "need" my phone number?

Shame on them for turning their crisis into a way to reap customer data.

I was all set to send the email, but didn't like that they needed my phone number and email. Then I saw at the bottom that the site might not be secure, so beware of the info you share...nice!

I ended up calling instead. They still needed my address (obviously to send my refund check) and phone number, but they didn't ask for my email.

I didn't have any wait time. It was fairly painless- except of course that I now have five bottles of medicine I can't use! :irked:

peanut520
05-07-2010, 12:24 PM

we get the dye-free because dd is sometime just not in the mood to take the meds and ends up wearing more that she actually swallows, but we found up&up (target) has dye-free.

Melaine
05-07-2010, 02:14 PM
So, I went to both Walgreen and Publix with my half a bottle of benedryl. Both places initially told me that "Benedryl was not affected by the recall". Then they both checked and saw, "Oh, whoops, yeah it is".

FYI, Publix gave me cash back with no problem (once they realized that the Benedryl was, indeed, on the list).

calv
05-07-2010, 02:18 PM
So, I went to both Walgreen and Publix with my half a bottle of benedryl. Both places initially told me that "Benedryl was not affected by the recall". Then they both checked and saw, "Oh, whoops, yeah it is".

FYI, Publix gave me cash back with no problem (once they realized that the Benedryl was, indeed, on the list).

Mel what type of Benedryl was it? we have the cherry kind. according to the site (the last time I checked was over the wknd) it's the buble gum kind. we have cherry. has something new been added/recalled? TIA!

Melaine
05-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Mel what type of Benedryl was it? we have the cherry kind. according to the site (the last time I checked was over the wknd) it's the buble gum kind. we have cherry. has something new been added/recalled? TIA!

Sorry, mine was the bubble gum, I don't think anything was added to the list.

klwa
05-09-2010, 08:00 PM
*sigh* I've been feeling holier than thou abotu all of this, since we always buy generics. Then saw the TYLENOL bottle sitting on my counter that DH had been giving DD, since she was sick Friday. I forgot that MIL picked some up for DS after I fussed at DH for giving him Ibuprophen every 3 hours. His argument being that if I wanted him to have somethign different I shoudl have acetiminophen in the house. (Of course, I would have if he had told me we were out....)

neeleymartin
05-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Just saw a CNN story about the conditions at the factory. I think we are going to be without these products for a while folks. In fact, I'm not sure I want to go back to them. :(

Trying to figure out if the recall is still limited to that first list of products that came out Saturday-ish...

could you share, briefly, about the conditions they reported. just curious. i have not seen the story and am interested. tia

clc053103
05-10-2010, 07:05 PM
I completed the refund form on the 2nd day of the recall- I reported the info on my two-pack of Zyrtec purchased at BJ's. Today in the mail I received a $24 refund check. Not thrilled with the situation but impressed with the prompt handling of refunds.

Dayzy
05-11-2010, 03:14 PM
For the people who filled out the form on the website and got the refund already (or heard back fro McNeil) : Did they just tell you to dispose of the meds or did they want you t send the bottles back to them?

I have a very small medicine cabinet and having to keep the bad stuff up there and fit in the generics I needed to get is just not working out too well, and I would love to just get rid of them! But I have this fear that once I throw them out, they'll refuse my claim since I don't have the bottles.

Penny's Pappa
05-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Just got my refund from McNeil. It was actually from "Consumer Care Center" which, after some Googling appears to be the consumer care arm of Johnson & Johnson, McNeil's parent company, so be on the look-out.

@ Dayzy: They did not ask for the products to be returned.

Jo..
05-14-2010, 01:37 PM
I never got a refund or coupons from McNeil (although I did call and was promised them), so I returned today to Walmart. Got a $28 store credit for 3 open bottles. They said that Sudafed was not included in the recall, but it is made by McNeil and I was told by a cs rep that it is, so #1 I don't know what to believe, and #2 I think I will toss it just in case.

deborah_r
05-14-2010, 06:14 PM
could you share, briefly, about the conditions they reported. just curious. i have not seen the story and am interested. tia

Sorry, I am just now seeing this. Here's the link:

http://money.cnn.com/2010/05/14/news/companies/tylenol_recall_plant_conditions/

Quote:

"The most damning, according to Lebo, was the charge that the plant "does not maintain adequate laboratory facilities for the testing and approval (or rejection) of components of drug products."

Quote:
"The FDA also said that lack of proper controls in the manufacturing process led to some batches of infant's Tylenol being "superpotent," or having too much of some ingredients.

Also, the report noted that employees at the plant were not trained in current good manufacturing practices. The FDA inspectors further detailed dusty and filthy conditions at the plant, including "incubators with a large amount of visible gray and brown dust/debris, large hole in the ceiling and thick dust covering the grill inside a filtered cabinet."

daisyd
05-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks OP for posting. I returned mine to CVS y'day for store credit. Looks like they are out of fever products that are not affected by the recall. So I ended up buying store brand Tylenol and Motrin as DS has yet another ear infection (sigh).

Dream
05-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Did I miss something? I thought the only items recalled was Children's Tylenol, Chidlren's Motrin and Zyrtech.

Is Benadry involved too? What did I miss? I know I have lot of Benadryl at home.

SnuggleBuggles
05-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Did I miss something? I thought the only items recalled was Children's Tylenol, Chidlren's Motrin and Zyrtech.

Is Benadry involved too? What did I miss? I know I have lot of Benadryl at home.

http://www.mcneilproductrecall.com/page.jhtml?id=/include/mpr_ndc_finder.inc

Beth