PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Show/Discharge/Labor - TMI Questions

Green22
05-01-2010, 03:39 PM
So I am 40 weeks, 1 day and basically twiddling my thumbs.

I had an appt with the doc on Tuesday who said I was 2 cm, 50% (which means nothing, I know). We scheduled an induction on May 7 but she said she didn't think I would need it. After that internal, I had some bleeding. Not gushing, but not spotting. (I have never had blood after an internal) Called the doc, who said it was normal. I had some more blood the next am but then seemed to be all clear. That isn't bloody show is it?

Fast-forward to 3 days later - yesterday and today. I am not noticing contractions, though I do periodically feel menstrual-cramp feelings very low. I don't notice any sort of rhythm or pattern. For weeks I have been having discharge which is wet, but last night and today I notice little streaks of blood/spotting. Nothing that is alarming to me, but I *think* this is bloody show? Although if so, it really isn't much of a show and not very obvious/alarming. I don't know if I passed the mucous plug b/c it is really just like a lot of discharge and nothing plug-like.

In which case how long does this go on for? When the he!l will this baby get here?!

Thanks for any input. I know everyone is different but I feel like I am missing all these signs . . . or else they just aren't happening yet and I'll have to wait until May 7.

lalasmama
05-01-2010, 04:05 PM
At 2cm, you may have already "oozed" out any mucous plug. For what its worth, it usually just looks like a bunch of snot, and doesn't always look plug-like.

The good (annoying though) news is that the lost mucous plug or the bloody show doesn't really "mean" anything. It's (frustratingly) not like "oh, I lost my mucous plug, 14 hours until labor starts!"

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to know when baby will get here. Sorry.

Fortunately, there are some things you can do to attempt to get things moving. They aren't always pleasant though. Ready? (1) Do you remember what got you in the state that you are in? Sex! Semen has prostiglandins in it that can help "ripen" a cervix. And hey, if you are going to be letting him finish to ripen your cervix, you might as well try to get that "finish" as well. Orgasms cause uterine contractions! Yes, I know, its not likely what you have been wanting to do, and for some women, its just too swollen down there to do anything. But if you are going to have an induction, might as well start things naturally if possible. Semen is just natural Cervadil! :) (2) To go with your above fun, nipple stimulation can cause uterine contractions. Works well for some women, and pisses off an equal number of women :) Shoot for nipple stimulation 10 minutes several times a day, assuming it doesn't grate on your nerves. It releases oxytocin (natural Pitocin!). (3) Walking. Sometimes it gets things going, sometimes it doesn't. (4) Mineral oil. Again, sometimes gets going, sometimes doesn't. Will definately "clean you out" tho ;)

PMJ
05-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Hmmm, I had some minor "Bloody spots" before I guess the official "contractions" (which I still was in deny was happening). I had to go to the bathroom like every single time I started having these abdominal pains --- I'm not sure if it was diarrhea or not, but def loads of stuff came out. I realized after the fact that this was the body's way of getting rid of everything before baby came.

If you are not in TOO much pain, I'd hold off until going to the hospital.

I ended up going after I was in unbearable pain and the Doc said we should come in and get checked out. To my luck, I was already 9.5 cm dilated. (Although all the pain before was pretty bad).

Good luck

wellyes
05-01-2010, 05:55 PM
I am not noticing contractions, though I do periodically feel menstrual-cramp feelings very low.

For me contractions were very much like menstrual-like cramps. In the low back especially.

Of course there's no way to know how long you have to wait. I'm a little surprised that they have scheduled an induction for 1 week after your due date (maybe even a day or two less?) I know "just" one week is a laughable statement and you must be very uncomfortable. But in my OB's practice inductions are usually 2 weeks after the due date unless there are problems.

No matter what, good luck!

SnuggleBuggles
05-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Your cervix is probably changing some and as it does little capillaries are breaking, hence little bits of blood mixing in with the normal discharge.

Agree with pp, I wasn't scheduled for inductions till 42w and both boys just barely made it out before that. I was glad that I had extra time to let things just happen and that we were both healthy. :)

I used to host a labor message board and did a survey on bloody show and mucus plugs. I had about 50 people respond (not statistically significant, I know, but still...) and there was no rhyme or reason at all for people. I'm sorry!

Beth

citymama
05-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Just wanted to send you good birthing vibes! Hope all goes well and you report back with happy news soon!

lorinick
05-02-2010, 12:25 AM
I had a bloody show with ds2. I knew it was coming felt a little sick. The same as ds1. I was so tired it was 3am. Went back to sleep. I woke up at 5:45 to a popping sound and feeling a little wet. Water broke. Ds 1 mucus plug broke in the morning went about my day and again didn't feel right. Went into labor that evening. So for me labor is quick to follow. Everyone and every labor is different. But sounds to me as your getting close. How do you feel? I was you a speedy labor. :hug5:

Green22
05-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Update: After going to Wendy's to get a Spicy Chicken Sandwich (why?) I ended up going into labor and delivering that next morning! So I guess she was on her way!

Kymberley
05-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Congratulations!!!!!

catroddick
05-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Update: After going to Wendy's to get a Spicy Chicken Sandwich (why?) I ended up going into labor and delivering that next morning! So I guess she was on her way!

Congrats!!
But, we are going to need more details then that!! :wink2: Tell about your little girl!

MoJo
05-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Welcome, little girl! Glad you didn't wait too long!

Yes, Green22, we want more details!

becca_g
05-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Congratulations!!!