PDA

View Full Version : Our 5k race report...

MMEand1
05-01-2010, 09:37 PM
We ran a local 5k race this morning for a scholarship fund. It was the first one put on by this particular group, so there were some obvious problems with check-in (having a male and female line and having to stand in one to check in my daughter and I and then go to the back to check in my son and husband) as well as a few other little glitches. Overall it was pretty fun and no more than about 100 runners (125 if you count all the kids in strollers).

We started off and my husband was running with my son (7) and I was with my daughter (5). They pick each race who is running with who. Sometimes it changes, sometimes it doesn't, we just never know which one we'll be running with. My son has been running about a 11-12 minute mile, and my daughter was running about a 15+ mm, so it's quite a difference in running when you know you will be walking a good bit of the way with one of them.

So we take off, and we are running down a road on the side of a big university. The road is not closed, so we are trying to keep from getting hit and most cars were pretty good about slowing/stopping for big groups. After about 1k, we turned onto the access road for a busy highway. There was a sidewalk for a portion of it, but then it was on the side of the road or in the dirt/rock path next to the road. It wasn't bad, but would have been pretty nasty if it had rained last night or this morning.

We then turned behind a hotel and ran down to the end of the road. It was at this point that we were so close to my husband and son that my daughter was able to cheer for my son since we were right behind them. My son got mad because he is usually much faster than my daughter and never sees her during the entire race. He started sprinting, but would keep an eye on her to see when he got a ahead enough to slow down.

There was a Boy Scout troop handing out water and they did a great job! We hit the turn-around point and my daughter high-fived the volunteer holding the turn-around sign. We returned the way we came and stopped at the water table again for my daughter. Right before the water table, I saw something on the ground and just instinctively jumped over it only to realize that it was a smashed snake. We took a few steps back to get a picture of it (probably added a few seconds to her time)!

I had a feeling that she was going to PR today because she ran the first 1.5 miles non-stop! Usually she will take many walk breaks and stop to look at the flowers or whatever, but today she was on a mission! We made it back to the road we started on and she just kept going! When we crossed the finish line, I KNEW she had PR'ed since her last PR was 46 minutes and some change (I'd have to go look up the exact time) and we were well under that. I was thinking that we were at about 44 minutes or so. Once we finished and I got her to stop crying (a little boy got out of his stroller and beat her at the finish line) I went over to look at the times and was told that her time was 39:52!!!!! I was amazed! She walked only about a total of 1.5 minutes and that included the water stops!

My son has been having some bad allergy problems and has really been suffering. He came in right before my daughter at 39:25 (his PR is 34 something). We then took the kids to get some banana's, oranges and water! We found some of our friends and decided to do some plank competitions! Everyone thought we were CRAZY, but it was so much fun!

These were the only good pictures that came out...

jgenie
05-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Congrats on another great run!! Kudos to your daughter on her new PR. :bighand:

Ok, so was that a poisonous snake - 'red touch black friend of jack' 'red touch yellow kill a fellow'?

Can't believe they had you running on the access roads that weren't blocked off.

ThreeofUs
05-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Congratulations - great picture of your kids!

elizabethkott
05-02-2010, 08:24 AM
:cheerleader1: WOO HOO!!!!! :cheerleader1:

Congratulations!!!!!

boogiemomz
05-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Way to go! thanks for the report! :thumbsup:

MMEand1
05-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks everyone! We had a lot of fun and my DC are already talking about when we are going to do another one...This was only our first one since New Years Eve night (first actual paid run - not family run). We have to be picky about the races we do since it costs so much for us to enter as a Family (usually $20-35 a person).

Thanks again! We enjoy doing things together and this is one thing that we can do as a family even once the kids get older and faster (even if they have to wait at the finish line for my DH and I)!!