PDA

View Full Version : Help me navigate the leapster/didj/ds world

gordo
05-01-2010, 10:19 PM
DD is turning 5 in 2 weeks and my mom was going to buy her a leapster. After looking around I see there is the leapster, leapster 2, didj and the nintendo ds. The nintendo ds is much more expensive and I am not sure a 5 year old really needs that. But not sure which one of the leapfrog products to get her that would last her a while before she grew out of it. She is an advanced reader if that makes a difference, so games with letter and sound recognition would not be of interest. So what is best for this age?

DebbieJ
05-01-2010, 10:27 PM
I would not get a Leapster--she will outgrow it really quick. Go with the DS.

new_mommy25
05-02-2010, 03:15 AM
DS!:jammin:

bnme
05-02-2010, 07:00 AM
I agree the a Leapster will be outgrown more quickly. But my 5 and 7 yos still play with theirs sometimes and they have DS's. The Leapster has great and fun educational stuff for thst age group. I have not found educational games for the younger kids on DS (I think I Spy is the closest thing we have). And many games require reading so that may be a factor.

If your kid plays videos games on a Wii or Play Station already (like Mario, Lego series, etc) then she will love the DS. If she is not into that yet I would go with the Leapster first.

egoldber
05-02-2010, 07:08 AM
She is an advanced reader if that makes a difference, so games with letter and sound recognition would not be of interest.

I wouldn't assume that. My older DD still has fun playing DS games that are "below" her level.

The problem with getting the Leapster IMO is that the games are relatively expensive vs their play value. I think the biggest barrier to the DS for most kids is reading, and since your DD reads well that isn't an issue. There are a lot of used games available for younger kids at places like GameStop.

JBaxter
05-02-2010, 08:04 AM
I would say DS also.

gordo
05-02-2010, 08:56 AM
I wouldn't assume that. My older DD still has fun playing DS games that are "below" her level.

The reason I know this is because she has already stopped playing with games on the computer and other toys that do letter and sound recognition. She says they are too easy. It sounds like the DS is the way to go, i just didn't want to ask my parents to spend that kind of money on a bday present for her. I was also hoping to limit it to mostly educational games right now.