PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else with DC with grass allergy and summer camps/daycare?

ohiomom
05-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Late last summer we learned DD1 is allergic to grass. Today after soccer game we ended up on a neighborhood hill and DDs decided to start rolling down it. We stopped DD1, told her not a good idea due to her allergy, but she couldn't resist. They were having so much fun, I knew she had her am dose of claritin, we decided not to stop her again. 20 minutes later - whammo rash on exposed skin. Bad mom. Bad mom. Bad mom.

What in the world am I going to do with her this summer? We are signing her up for camp at her regular school. I'm sure a fair amount of time will be things outside. How do I protect her adequately? She is very lethargic on Bendaryl, so don't want to use it much unless necessary. She'll melt in long sleeves/pants... won't she?

All advice welcome!! Thanks!

DD1 6
DD2 3

ohiomom
05-02-2010, 09:39 PM
bumping in hopes someone can offer some advice...

egoldber
05-02-2010, 09:42 PM
My older DD does not have grass allergies, but she has tree pollens. Last year she came home from Girl Scout sleep away camp in the midst of an asthma flare. :( Further testing showed she was now allergic to weeds and molds.

So our plan with the allergist now is to keep her on daily Zyrtec through the summer and also on her asthma meds. We will probably also send her to camp with Nasonex.

I refuse to not let her do the things she loves to do because of outdoor allergens. But the downside to that is she is on a boatload of meds.

Good luck! My best advice is to see an allergist and get her on a protocol that manages her allergies as best you can.

bubbaray
05-02-2010, 09:46 PM
My older DD does not have grass allergies, but she has tree pollens. Last year she came home from Girl Scout sleep away camp in the midst of an asthma flare. :( Further testing showed she was now allergic to weeds and molds.

So our plan with the allergist now is to keep her on daily Zyrtec through the summer and also on her asthma meds. We will probably also send her to camp with Nasonex.

I refuse to not let her do the things she loves to do because of outdoor allergens. But the downside to that is she is on a boatload of meds.

Good luck! My best advice is to see an allergist and get her on a protocol that manages her allergies as best you can.

:yeahthat:

Our allergist is all about treating the symptoms, not avoiding the pollen. I mean, unless you live in a bubble, you can't avoid pollen.

DD#1 is on daily or every other day Aerius (Reactin/Zyrtec didn't work well and her allergist d/n like it, he prefers Claritin or Aerius), & daily Pulmicort.

FWIW, DD#1 is in daycamps all summer. Hopefully things go smoothly!

ohiomom
05-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks Beth. Does the Zyrtec make her tired? It wipes me out, even if I take it at bedtime, so I've been reluctant to try it with her. I'm not in love w/the 1 peds allergist my insurance covers, so we have put off returning, but you are probably right about seeing him. His soln. last year was claritin, eucerin/cortisone mix slathered on daily and avoidance, avoidance, avoidance. But I need to work and can't stay home w/her all summer.... to keep our insurance that provides 1 lousy peds allergist. :irked:

Indianamom2
05-02-2010, 09:52 PM

:yeahthat:

We just discovered late last fall that DD#1 is allergic to virtually every environmental allergen except cockroaches (ewww) and dust (Hallelujah!). The allergist basically recommended staying inside year round and never playing outside or being a kid. Yeah, right. Sorry, but that just isn't okay with me. I'm thinking her allergies are more fall allergies based on her lack of reaction thus far this spring. Still, I'm just planning on keeping her well medicated (zyrtec and nasonex) and letting her be a child.

egoldber
05-02-2010, 09:55 PM
No, Zyrtec does NOT make her tired. I was giving it to her at bedtime but then we discovered that she is one of the kids that Zyrtec makes her wired! Oops! She had insomnia, but then we moved her Zyrtec to the morning and now she is fine. She takes the Nasonex at night. She takes her asthma med twice a day.

She also uses allergy eye drops (OTC Zaditor) and Benadryl as needed on top of all that. Like I said, a boatload of meds, but knock on wood, she has had a very uneventful allergy season so far.

ohiomom
05-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks again everyone!

Last night she started itching like a crazy kid when DH was cutting her bangs. Then when she stepped into the bathtub just minutes later she was screaming bloody murder that the water was too hot. It definitely was not hot -- really actually cooler than normal. I have no idea what set her skin off so nutso, but man, here we go again... it's like spring/summer 2009 all over again!!

I saw today that a 2nd peds allergist has been added as option, so hopefully we can get in soon.

Should I advocate for an epipen if everything has been contact and a bit of a runny nose? That was not suggested last year by allergist, but my sis said tonight her college friend that was "only" contact allergic to things had anaphylaxis (sp?? too lazy to check tonight!) reaction to shellfish out of the blue almost died on a school trip while they were together. Yikes!