PDA

View Full Version : Puzzle question

vonfirmath
05-02-2010, 08:14 AM
My 33-month son is doing his puzzles over and over. (mostly the Melissa and doug 16-piece 4 puzzles in a box, but also the big floor puzzle). Yesterday, I gave him a set of 4 Briar Patch puzzles -- 8, 10, 12, and 16 pieces. And he was able to do ALL Of them. Multiple times.

Is it time for him to "move up" in puzzles? If so, what is the next step? We were going to get him the Beleduc body puzzle for his third birthday.

SnuggleBuggles
05-02-2010, 08:20 AM
There are lots of 25 piece puzzles at Target. Nothing fancy but fun. :)

Beth

elliput
05-02-2010, 09:39 AM
At your DS's age, my DD really liked the big 24-30 piece floor puzzles. It didn't take her long to move on to smaller piece 50 and 100 piece puzzles after that.

August Mom
05-02-2010, 01:31 PM
I would move him up. :)

You can do traditional jigsaws with more pieces - 25, then 35, then 60 or you can do jigsaws in a frame (I recommend this as a next step as the frame has a design on it too and helps the child deal better with the outer pieces IMO) or in-laid puzzles, either wooden or the Lauri crepe rubber ones are a good next step also. I love the Lauri puzzles. We have bunches of those.

cono0507
05-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Sounds like my son. We moved up to 24-30 piece jigsaw ones then - like the ones at Target. Melissa and Doug make a lot of great ones - some are huge floor puzzles with 48 pieces which are really nice.

vonfirmath
05-03-2010, 02:18 PM
I would move him up. :)

You can do traditional jigsaws with more pieces - 25, then 35, then 60 or you can do jigsaws in a frame (I recommend this as a next step as the frame has a design on it too and helps the child deal better with the outer pieces IMO) or in-laid puzzles, either wooden or the Lauri crepe rubber ones are a good next step also. I love the Lauri puzzles. We have bunches of those.

I just got a whole bunch of 25 piece puzzles in a frame from a friend over the weekend. (can't beat free, eh?) So I guess that is what we are trying next!

zoestargrove
05-05-2010, 04:10 PM
I especially like the quality of the Melissa and Doug (over a typical puzzle sold at target). I like the bigger pieces, sturdy cardboard and all the pieces fit together really well. They hold up terrific.

Ravensburger are also excellent quality. They also have some interesting ones in a frame that show a hidden picture underneath.

I'd definitely move your son up. You might need to help him the first one or few times so that he doesn't get frustrated and lose interest in doing puzzles all together.

also, don't get rid of your easier puzzles just yet. I found that both of my boys do like to return to the easier/more familiar puzzles from time to time.