PDA

View Full Version : Stop standing in the bath!!!

SkyrMommy
05-02-2010, 10:09 AM
DD is walking, over the last two months she's gone from a step or two on her own... to full blown walking and wandering & it's lovely, except when she tries to walk in the bathtub.

Granted she's never alone, I actually enjoy sitting by the tub & playing with her toys & 'drawing' on the tub walls with her. But I'd feel so much better if she'd sit down so she doesn't slip. Most of the bath is now spent getting her cute, little, bare butt back in the water & she gets so frustrated because everywhere else she gets huge praise for walking.

What did you mommies do? How long will it take to get her to learn the no standing in the tub rule?

sunshine873
05-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Good question! It doesn't help that DH thinks it's good for her. She's just cruising and he thinks all the up & down, balancing, etc is great. He was even in there with her the other day when she slipped & bashed her nose on the side of the tub. She's fine, but how long will it be before she chips a tooth...or worse?

Yes...how do I get DD to stop standing in the tub & how do I convince DH that it's not good either!?!

SnuggleBuggles
05-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Short phase, luckily. :) Of course, we are a 2 bath/ week family (unless really dirty) so it wasn't as big a deal. There was a time that I went in with him so I could hold him.

Beth

SkyrMommy
05-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Short phase, luckily. :)
...this I like!

DD usually has a bath two or three times a week, but now that we are outdoors all the time & she's sometimes a bit of a mess so it's into the bath for a quick scrub & play... plus I think it relaxes her after a full day of play.

The good thing is DH agrees with me that she need to sit... it was kind of funny the last bath when he was in there with her & it sounded like he was training a puppy, 'sit', 'sit', 'sit' :hysterical:

longtallsally05
05-02-2010, 12:38 PM
I use it as an opportunity to really scrub the heiney; it's difficult to access all the places that can hide poo residue or diaper gel beads when dear child is sitting down. After that, the bath is OVER! Hopefully dear child will figure it out: stand up = bathtime is over (just as throwing food = mealtime is over).

MolieMuts
05-02-2010, 01:10 PM
I use it as an opportunity to really scrub the heiney; it's difficult to access all the places that can hide poo residue or diaper gel beads when dear child is sitting down. After that, the bath is OVER! Hopefully dear child will figure it out: stand up = bathtime is over (just as throwing food = mealtime is over).

:yeahthat:

DS2 just started doing this. I ask him if he wants to get out and he says "no" and sits back down. It is a great time to clean the little bottom!

mommylamb
05-02-2010, 01:15 PM
DS did this for a while. But it coincided with him loving the bath, so I would tell him that if he stood up that the bath was over. After being taken out of the bath a couple times, he learned that I was serious about it and stopped standing up.

Avispa
05-02-2010, 01:24 PM
As PP pointed out, it is just a phase. DD has a bath almost every day (she loves it), and she had a phase when she was doing this when she started walking. I let her do it, making sure I was there to react so that she wouldn't hit her head. She fell a couple times, ended up head partly under water even if I was there to catch her (we put quite a bit of water in the tub because she loves it), and then that was it, she learned and stopped standing up.

twowhat?
05-02-2010, 01:46 PM
It is a phase. Ours didn't last long either. But I would always say "no standing in the tub or bathtime is over" and make them sit back down. If they stood up two more times, I would say "Mommy said no standing in the tub. Bathtime is over." Yes, I had to be quick and wash hair/diaper area first so that if I had to follow through on taking them out of the tub, they would be clean enough. I have only had to end bathtime a couple of times. They got the messages quickly.

awoodm
05-02-2010, 03:18 PM
My boys take baths together, and I wash them as soon as they get in- the rest of the time is playtime. For a short stint, DS2 went through the standing in the bath phase, but after about 3 times of setting him back down, bath time would be over for him. He got the message really quickly since bathtime is his favorite, and DS1 got to stay in longer.

hillview
05-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Short phase and my kids come out of the tub asap if they stand in it. This has always been our rule and we enforce it unless you are super soapy. IMO this is a risk that will result in a fall if I don't stop my dancing boys :)
/hillary

ewpmsw
05-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Really? It's a phase? When does it end? This thread gives me hope. DD is almost 2 and we have to remind her to sit down constantly. DH does most of her baths and isn't very consistent with the rule, so that may be contributing to the problem.

lvhkitty
05-02-2010, 11:00 PM
This is a great post! So far we've nipped the standing in the bud!

maestramommy
05-03-2010, 07:06 AM
This is funny because we spend the girls' bath trying to get them to stand up! so we can wash their bum, rinse all over, etc. We have a long cushy bathmat that lines the entire bottom of the tub. Keeps them from slipping. We got it when Dora was a baby. Still works great! Bed Bath and Beyond.

SkyrMommy
05-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Thanks for all the advice mamas!

Hopefully DD will learn that 'sit' really means sit down or else she's out... I'm going out shopping this week so I may swing through BB&B to see what kind of bath mats they have, the one we have in the tub right now is kind of wimpy.