PDA

View Full Version : How Do you "Forget" to call your children for 2 days?

LexyLou
05-02-2010, 12:04 PM
GRRRRRR. Normally I'm a big fan of my DH. He's a hard worker and a great father but right now I'm beyond pissed.

He's in Vegas for a Bachelor Party and I get it. I'm actually a very cool wife (IMO). I could care less if he has a strippers crotch in his face. I know he'll be out drinking and partying non stop and I don't care. I full trust him and the guys he's with.

I know he works hard and needs to blow of steam. I get it but DUDE

CALL YOUR KIDS!

He has a very sensitive, emotional 4.5 year old who was almost hyperventilating last night because she hasn't heard from her Daddy in 2 days!

When I angry texted him, he replied, "I'm sorry, I forgot"

FORGOT???? So you go to Vegas and TOTALLY forget you have a family. If that ain't shady, I don't know what is. I go on girls weekends, I get having a good time with friends but I would NEVER forgot to call my kids at least once a day and in all honestly, I wouldn't forget to call my DH either just to let him know I'm thinking of him.

What a jerk. So I texted, "I guess that's the difference between mothers and fathers"...

DH, you're a jerk.

DrSally
05-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Oh, I would be mad too. I feel so bad for your DD :(

twowhat?
05-02-2010, 01:53 PM
I'd be super pissed too! In similar (not as extreme) situations (like when my DH "forgets" to tell the girls he's going out to get gas for the lawn mower, I simply tell him when he gets home that "you forgot to tell the girls you were leaving. DD was very upset when she couldn't find you". That kind of message sinks in real quick:)

sariana
05-02-2010, 02:03 PM
I somtimes forget to do things until it is too late. Is that possibly what happened? He didn't realize the time, and then thought it was too late to call? That has happened with my DH, too (though he is 12 hours away, so it is more complicated).

I'm sorry for you and your DD, though. It is hard to be at the other end.

LexyLou
05-02-2010, 02:59 PM
I somtimes forget to do things until it is too late. Is that possibly what happened? He didn't realize the time, and then thought it was too late to call? That has happened with my DH, too (though he is 12 hours away, so it is more complicated).

I'm sorry for you and your DD, though. It is hard to be at the other end.

I want to believe that. But the "I forgot "was on Friday night and I was sure hed call during the day or before bed on Saturday but nope. That's when I got really pissed.

I get that he's there with like 20 guys and they are having a blast and I get that most of them who have kids have babies who don't get it yet. But he has an almost 5 year old. I just feel so sad for her.

He called this morning for the first time. I'm just so disappointed in him.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
05-02-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm :angry-smiley-005: and :gloomy: for you. The sad/angry feeling sucks. Taking a few mins to call your DC is mandatory, especially if it is a sensitive child. I'm so sorry, things like this, being disappointed in someone you love and trust are hard to get over. Hugs Mama!!!1

jgenie
05-02-2010, 03:34 PM
:hug: DH does this when he travels - he'll call after DS1 is in bed to check on us. DS1 is just getting to the age where he's more aware and I keep trying to tell DH that.

arivecchi
05-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Ugh. I will admit, DH has pulled insentive moves like this with me too, but he is usually hyper-sensitive about anything that affects the kids. So yeah, DH forgetting to check in with the kids while travelling would send me into orbit. Hope your DD lays on the guilt real thick when he gets back. No more trips to Vegas Mr!

hillview
05-02-2010, 04:10 PM
DH and I travel all the time and it is not uncommon for one of us to forget to call (DH more often but I am guilty as well). Also the time difference is an issue.

That said, this is US and we are ok with it. If DH didn't travel often or if the kids were expecting it that'd be a HUGE issue. So sorry!

Hugs!
/hillary

PMJ
05-02-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm so sorry. : ( Poor DD

My heart is breaking for her right now.

My DH would def do this w/ me, but it was before we had kids; so I would be upset, but would get over it. But, kids are more sensitive and don't necessarily do well with that.

Not sure if you asked for advice, but maybe after DH gets back - wait maybe a few days or a week and just tell him how sad DD was and that it's not fair to you to have to make "excuses" for Dad not being able to call.

vonfirmath
05-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Could you call DH and then put your child on the phone?

LexyLou
05-03-2010, 02:38 PM
:hug: DH does this when he travels - he'll call after DS1 is in bed to check on us. DS1 is just getting to the age where he's more aware and I keep trying to tell DH that.

The thing is, he didn't even call AFTER they were in bed. He just dropped off the face of the planet.

DH and I travel all the time and it is not uncommon for one of us to forget to call (DH more often but I am guilty as well). Also the time difference is an issue.

That said, this is US and we are ok with it. If DH didn't travel often or if the kids were expecting it that'd be a HUGE issue. So sorry!

Hugs!
/hillary

No time change. He travels a ton for work and that has happened because of time change, especially when he's international. Sometimes we talk via Skype. But he's been working so much the girls go days without seeing him and DD lives for the weekends when she doesn't have school and daddy doesn't have work so this trip hit her especially hard.
Plus this was not a work trip. It was a boozing trip. There's no reason to not call your kids. It's just a jerky thing to do.

Could you call DH and then put your child on the phone?

Tried once. He didn't answer and it left her more upset that we couldn't reach him.

He's home now, and DD had to sleep in bed with him all night. Jackass also left his blackberry in a cab on his way to the airport....guess it was a fun trip.

JoyNChrist
05-03-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm sorry. I totally understand why you're upset - I would be really angry too.

Octobermommy
05-03-2010, 03:51 PM
That is very bad. My dd is also sensitive and is in a major "daddys girl" these days.

I'm wondering if your dh knows how great/ understanding of a wife he has. I hope he realizes it!