PDA

View Full Version : bedtime prayers?

boogiemomz
05-02-2010, 01:04 PM
i've been wondering about a prayer we might get in the habit of saying with DD before bed. she's only 5 months now, but i'd like to get in the habit for when she can say it with us. i don't want to use the one with "if i should die before i wake..." (it's a perfectly good and appropriate prayer, i just don't like saying it myself). so...

what prayer(s) do you say with your DCs, if you do?

are there any good books of children's bedtime prayers?

thanks. :)

lalasmama
05-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Now I lay me down to sleep,
My soul I pray the Lord to keep.
Angels guard me through the night,
And let me wake with morning light.

Its a little nicer than "if I die before I wake"!

We have had several books over the years with kids prayers, but we always come back to the one above. Partially because its easy and safe and most people know it (and know our version), so that if I'm not the one putting her to bed, they other person can kind of follow La's lead and get through it. Once she was old enough to talk for herself, we added on "a special prayer"--a real prayer instead of just memorizing a poem. Typically, for her, its something like "Dear God, Thank you have letting me have a wonderful day, please let me have a wonderful day tomorrow. In your name, Amen". Humorously, thats even the prayer she tends to say when she's had a day in trouble more than out of trouble, LOL.

klwa
05-02-2010, 01:39 PM
We do a similar one to Lala's mom:

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord, my soul to keep.
Let angels watch me through the night,
And wake me with the morning's light.

gatorsmom
05-02-2010, 01:44 PM
How about:

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
Keep me safely through the night
And wake me with the morning light,
Amen.

elephantmeg
05-02-2010, 01:48 PM
we do what we did growing up-a brief sentance prayer about the day then
now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
God bless mommy, daddy, sister, brother, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents (and we add the puppy) Amen

MaiseyDog
05-02-2010, 02:13 PM
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
Watch me through the long, long night
And keep me safe til morning light.

sunshine873
05-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Similar to what you & others have said. We didn't like the "if I should die line" either, but DH & I both grew up with the poem and wanted to stick with it somewhat. So we have:

I pray the Lord my soul to keep
Guard me Jesus through the night
and Wake me with the morning light.
Amen

When DH is gone we add on
God bless daddy while he's away
Please protect him every day.

I'm not sure if I should keep doing the God bless daddy poem, or if we should be doing God bless daddy, mommy, grandparents, etc.

Melaine
05-02-2010, 02:46 PM
I would do the Lord's prayer. Here is a nice breakdown for toddlers (realize OP's DC is younger though). I still think it would be a great one to begin with.
http://www.dltk-bible.com/cv/lords_prayer.htm

strollerqueen
05-02-2010, 03:21 PM
We also ask God to bless our family and friends, and we thank him for all of our own blessings. In other words, we express our gratitude for all of the gifts we have everyday in life.

doberbrat
05-02-2010, 04:17 PM
we started when dd was 3 - when she decided she wanted a baby brother or sister.

first,
Dear Lord, thank you for this day. Thank you for (find 3 or more things to be thankful for)
God Bless all our family members by name - and the rest of our family for those we dont get to forget etc.
Please G-d if its in your will send me a baby. Or help baby get here safely, get better, help the neighbor's kids get well whatever it is she wants to pray For. Praying for material things isnt allowed.

I started this b/c I wanted her to be thankful for what she has, not just asking for something.

we also have a toddler's book of prayers that she likes picking from for various prayers.

crl
05-02-2010, 05:25 PM
First we each say something we're grateful for from that day (got to see friends, eat ice cream, whatever). Then I do a short please watch over us type prayer.

Catherine

boogiemomz
05-03-2010, 10:28 AM
thanks for the suggestions! i'm glad today's parents have come up with alternatives to "if i should die..." these are much nicer for children, i think!

i started last night saying a variation of these "now i lay me..." prayers, and i think that will be part of our bedtime routine from now on. i know she's so little, but i like the idea of having it be something we do every day, so that she will already know it as she begins to understand and becomes more vocal. when we get to that point we will add in some more personalized daily stuff (thankful for different things from the day, blessing family members, etc).

if anyone has a particular book of bedtime prayers you like, i'd also love to hear about that. thank you!! :)

WatchingThemGrow
05-03-2010, 11:18 AM
We just actually pray with them - whatever comes to mind. We sometimes do ACTS -
Adoration - telling God how much we adore him
Confession - confessing our sins
Thanksgiving - thanking him for all kinds of things
Supplication - asking him for things we want (healing for a grandparent, to be a better whatever...)

DH used to pray that DD would grow up to be a woman of God. If he forgot that part, she used to scream out "AND THE WOMEN!!!" Now we consistently pray that she would grow up to be a woman of God.

We'll take turns talking to God about things, and we don't go through all the parts of the ACTS thing each night. I love that she verbalizes the things going on inside her head and in her heart. SO sweet.