PDA

View Full Version : Stinky feet

twowhat?
05-02-2010, 01:41 PM
My kids' shoes are starting to stink!! Does sprinkling baking soda in the shoes really work or not?

MMMommy
05-02-2010, 05:31 PM
I don't know about the baking soda. But a friend once told me that if you put the shoes in the freezer, it will kill the odor and bacteria. I don't know if that is true or not, and if so, it might just be a temporary fix (until worn again).

catroddick
05-03-2010, 02:25 PM
But do you really want stinky shoes in your freezer?

Penny's Pappa
05-03-2010, 02:33 PM
But do you really want stinky shoes in your freezer?

Put them in a couple plastic bags?

I have heard of the freezer trick, but I haven't used it myself. The biologist in me thinks that that may slow down the bacteria but it won't necessarily kill them. However, in the lab we typically avoid freezing and thawing repeatedly because it can kill our bacteria, so maybe you just need to freeze/thaw the shoes a few times??

As for powders, in my experience they're better for preventing odors than they are for curing them. That said, I still wouldn't recommend them because if you use it frequently you eventually end up with bits of powder mush inside the shoe. Nasty!

Instead, use wadded up newspaper to soak up the moisture and then place a couple of these in the shoes:

http://www.amazon.com/Balance-Sneaker-Deodorizers-Matrix-assorted/dp/B002M3OEM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1272911556&sr=8-1

I used something similar in my rock climbing shoes (which get FUNK-TASTIC let me tell you!) and they worked really well. YMMV.