PDA

View Full Version : WWYD: Girls in boys clothes?

SpaceGal
05-02-2010, 03:44 PM
I have a DD with 2 older DSs. As I go through and clear out the outgrown clothes, I find myself wondering will I let her wear her brother's clothes (mainly pants)...maybe one or two tshirts that I really liked. I'm just on the fence about the pants though. Do I keep them for her or get her "girl" pants...flared, bell bottoms, you know.

My mom and aunt think I should dress her in what I have and save money. I guess I don't know what is better. When I was little my mom was always too lazy to dress me up so often times I was sorta a tom-boy. I am thinking that DH is more I'd like my girl to look like a girl...so I figured maybe just the plain straight leg jeans I'll keep. I suppose space isn't an issue...but right now I'm in this serious let's get rid of clutter mode and you know I'd rather just sort it now rather than later...when it balloons out of control with three kids worth of clothes.

What would you or do you do?

maestramommy
05-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Well actually, I have bought boys pants for my girls in the past. It's hard to find girl play pants that 1) don't show the dirt, and 2) are rugged enough to stand up to playing.

I think if you like the clothes you bought for your DSs, why not let DD wear them?

ourbabygirl
05-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Tough call. I understand saving money, but unfortunately I think that most kids' clothes are so gender-specific lately that it's obvious if a girl is in boys' clothes. I guess on my own kids I would only put my daughter in her brother's sweatpants, *maybe* jeans (if they fit right in the right places), and some shirts. A lot of sweatshirts and t-shirts (especially promoting sports' teams, etc.) are gender-neutral, but other things aren't. And, of course, they could *probably* wear the same socks (I usually just do white here, which keeps it simple).

Good luck! I'm interested to see what others here say! :)

Melaine
05-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Well actually, I have bought boys pants for my girls in the past. It's hard to find girl play pants that 1) don't show the dirt, and 2) are rugged enough to stand up to playing.

I think if you like the clothes you bought for your DSs, why not let DD wear them?

I agree with this. Particularly for play clothes, boys pants can have a lot more room for climbing and sliding. And even if they are super-boyish pants with like big cargo pockets, they could be just fine paired with a embellished tunic top, or something, ykwim? So, yeah, I can see saving some of it. Oh, and the long shorts would come in handy sometimes too, since girls' shorts can be so short.

bubbaray
05-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Tough call. I understand saving money, but unfortunately I think that most kids' clothes are so gender-specific lately that it's obvious if a girl is in boys' clothes.

:yeahthat:

I have never found that my kids wore out ANY clothes -- play clothes or otherwise. NONE. The only clothing items that look remotely worn are bathing suits worn in chlorinated pools.

I wouldn't dress my girls in boys clothes. Then again, they are very girly and love dresses most of the time.

Glizmo
05-02-2010, 03:59 PM
My DD was blessed with shapely legs, and I find a lot of girl pants are too skinny legged for her. And I prefer jeans without embellishments on them, which can sometimes be hard to find for girls. So yeah, I would (and have) put her in boy pants. Especially if you already have some that would work!

hillview
05-02-2010, 04:01 PM
I would dress a DD in boy clothes like say boy pants and a girlie top or versa. I dress DS2 in DS1's (boy) clothes and people think he is a girl. I don't think it matters :)
/hillary

SpaceGal
05-02-2010, 04:10 PM
I never thought about boy pants being more "durable" than girl pants. And I never thought about keeping their shorts either. It's so hard these days because just like others have said things are so gender specific sometimes.

I am also partly on the girls should dress like girls...and DD is very girly looking and so far hasn't been mistaken for a boy. And I do love how she looks in a dress...but I don't put her in dresses all the time.

I suppose I'll keep the pants and shorts and see how they look on her as she grows. I forgot that you can dress up boy pants with a girly top too...:) Hopefully that box of pants and shorts isn't too big. :) I will do my best to declutter the rest of the stuff.

Thank you for sharing with me what you do.

sunshine873
05-02-2010, 04:12 PM
It's not an issue for me, since I only have DD. But...I think a lot of it depends on you. If you don't care, then put her in those clothes & save some $$. If the $$ isn't an issue and you want to see her in more girly-clothes, then by all means, get her the girly clothes! This is your DD and you get to do what you want! :)

I TTA with PP that so many clothes are gender-specific now that it can be obvious sometimes and I don't like that but some pants, etc are probably fine. Personally, I :heartbeat: DD in flared or ruffle jeans. So cute and they always get a comment. I would probably be buying mostly new things.

Ceepa
05-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Little girls dressed in some boy pieces like basic pants, overalls paired with girl pieces can be super cute. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

gatorsmom
05-02-2010, 04:39 PM
I have 3 times the amount of boys clothes as I do girls clothes, since I"ve been receiving and buying boys clothes for our older 2 boys before our b/g twins arrived. Greenbean has so many clothes he only wears a fraction of them. So, I do buy girly clothes for Sisi, but when it comes to some pants (mainly jeans but some others too), athletic track suits (perfect for her soccer practices), neutral tshirts and outdoor summer/rain jackets, she can also wear Greenbean's.

I actually prefer to see her in boys jeans. I'm not a big fan of the flare jeans. I think they make her look too much like a teenager and less like a little girl. jmho.

egoldber
05-02-2010, 04:49 PM
How old is she? I think that basics like plain jeans, solid sweat pants and khaki pants are fine. I would probably pair them with a cute, girly t-shirt.

As they got older, more preschool aged aged, then I think it is harder. But for toddlers and young preschoolers I think it is fine.

ETA: I actually have some "boy" t-shirts from miniboden for older DD that she and I both love.

SpaceGal
05-02-2010, 05:08 PM
How old is she? I think that basics like plain jeans, solid sweat pants and khaki pants are fine. I would probably pair them with a cute, girly t-shirt.

As they got older, more preschool aged aged, then I think it is harder. But for toddlers and young preschoolers I think it is fine.

ETA: I actually have some "boy" t-shirts from miniboden for older DD that she and I both love.

Right now DD is 15 months...and at this point she has a ton of dresses and tights and babylegs. My boys are 5 and 3 and I don't think that the pants will make it to her without looking beat up after two boys and preschool/kindergarten. For right now, anything 2T and under still looks good and wearable. I most definitely saved the jeans that are lined with fleece or flannel since winters are cold and those pants are more slim looking than wide and baggy.

secchick
05-02-2010, 05:12 PM
I actually buy some "boy" clothes for DD with the intention of handing them down to DS. Since it is much more acceptable for a girl towear boy stuff than it is the other way. But DD makes it easy in that she *loves* Lightening McQueen, so the Cars jammies will definitely be handed down, for example. Jammies I try to do mostly gender neutral for the Hannas and LB and LE ones, many of which were found in the "boy" section (octopuses and sharks ore for boys, it seems, and DD loves them), but I will get girly PJ pals if she's going through a fave character phase. Hanna pants with the reinforced knee were good for a toddler (in Khaki, with a pretty shirt) and I actually like the straight leg kids jeans over the low waisted flared ones for little girls. Now that DD is 4, its mostly all girl clothes (except jammies) but for 2 years and under, I think a lot more can be paired. Since I prefer plain unadorned T shirts, the babystyle and Hanna shirts are gettign handed down to DS too. I usually mixed a gender neutral top or bottom, with a gender-normal other piece.

crl
05-02-2010, 05:18 PM
I've saved some of ds's pants and shorts and sweaters and all ofnhis jackets and plan to use them for dd.

Catherine

fivi2
05-02-2010, 05:18 PM
I buy a lot of boy shorts for my dds since the girl ones are too short. I don't care for a lot of the girl jeans and have bought boy ones. Also basics like overalls and khaki pants - hard to to find plain ones for girls, so we often wear boy ones. PJs - my girls wear whatever is cheapest.

I would maybe get rid of some of the obviously "boy" shirts, but my girls wear things like that (hand me downs from nephews) to play in the mud or rain or whatever. But we are very messy and hard on clothes around here, so I have a lot of clothes they can wear to get dirty.

C99
05-02-2010, 06:11 PM
My DD starting having an opinion about what she wears starting at about age 3. Until then, I could put her in boys' pants without much of a problem. For the past two years, she wouldn't wear jeans and pretty much only wears leggings. Boys really don't wear leggings... She's now 5 and she will wear boys' sweatshirts, but that is really it. So I guess the answer is that it depends on the girl.

marit
05-02-2010, 06:56 PM
I still put girl's PJ on my son, so I guess I'm not the right person to ask...

wellyes
05-02-2010, 07:12 PM
For a 15 month old? No way would I spend $$. Get a couple of dresses / skirts for summer but I'd definitely retain most of the clothes vs re-doing a whole wardrobe.

I'd start buying more girly clothes around preschool age, maybe. 3 is when they learn to associate clothes with identity. Before then, it makes absolutely no different to the kid what he / she is wearing. And that is a good thing IMO.

mamicka
05-02-2010, 07:17 PM
I only have boys but I would totally put boys clothes on a girl. DS2's favorite pants are brown with a flare - he needed them for school & I couldn't find the right color boy sweats.

Nooknookmom
05-02-2010, 07:34 PM
When I was little, I drove my Mom nuts wanting to wear boys clothes. I HATED dresses and would mix it up with boys jeans and girls tops, etc.

DD1 was too girly to even think about boys clothes but DD2 is like a truck driver in a princess suit. She is SO tomboyish and rough, yet wears a dress beautifully. I have no problem grabbing a cute boys top and pairing it with a skort.

Have to say though, when I wanted the boys Spiderman undies, my Mom drew the line, lol!

Green_Tea
05-02-2010, 07:38 PM
I have no problem with my girls wearing clothes purchased in the boy dept. Cargo shorts and a pink t shirt look adorable on my girls, plus the boy clothes are cut more generously, usually made out of better, more durable fabrics, and don't have annoying embellishments that require that you purchase an entire "outfit" - one of the reasons I almost never shop at gymboree for pants or skirts.

KrisM
05-02-2010, 07:39 PM
DD wore a lot of DS's pants when she was 2 and under. Then, the boy pants were more "boy" looking. Now, I try to find nicer boy pants because I hate girl pants. Hate them. They are too tight on her legs and butt and don't come anywhere near high enough to not slide down her backside. At least boy pants don't show her butt.

ETA: For shirts, she mostly wore girl shirts, but we have some 4th of July shirts, shirts bought on vacation, etc that she wore.

maydaymommy
05-02-2010, 09:20 PM
I have a DD with 2 older DSs.

I really like that part of the story.
Just saying.
:wink2:

WatchingThemGrow
05-02-2010, 11:14 PM
I have the older DD with 2 younger DSs. 80% of the new items I buy are things for her to use and pass down. Today, she got a navy l/s rashguard from LE. It's the boy version, and she better be happy to have it b/c it will match her navy toddler action sandals. I may throw in a pink/navy swim mini to make her happy, though. She looooves pink, so any boy items paired with some pink is just fine with her.

She's getting a pink princess basket to go on the new boy bike she's getting later this month, too!

sariana
05-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Oddly, my DS's jeans don't fit DD very well, even though both are skinny. But I do let her wear his old carpenter jeans for playing outside or other acitivities where she will be getting dirty. She is 2, and he is almost 6, so the jeans are older styles, but she doesn't care, of course.

I did take a Gap denim jacket and hat set that a neighbor gave DS as a gift and turn it into a girl set by putting butterfly patches over the brown bears. They turned out really cute, and people have commented on the jacket and how cute it is. It was a great jacket and still in great condition, so it has worked out well to be able to use it longer.

I got the patches at Jo-Ann Fabrics. They have the sticky backing, but I just sewed around them. (Actually, I never finished the jacket. The butterfly is only half sewn on, and DD will lift up one side and say, "Bear, Mommy!" b/c she sees the bear underneath.) That way, I can pass along the set to someone with either a boy or a girl. The patches can be removed for a boy.

Of course I saved things like turtlenecks that are unisex regardless. And DD wears almost all of DS's old jammies (as well as new "girly" ones). She loves the pair with the sports motif!

JamiMac
05-02-2010, 11:57 PM
I would not mind for play pants at that age. Especially if the top looked girly, it wouldn't matter. I have 2 girls and then a boy and I have not found any differences in quality or durability of the clothing for different genders. It's the same stuff, just maybe cut different. My kids also have not ever worn though anything.

elektra
05-03-2010, 12:09 AM
Wow, lot's of opinions!
I now buy a lot of things for DD, with a hand-me-down in mind for DS. Hanna PJ's for one.
Outwear is another.
So DD has alot of blue or green pj's and jackets!
So I don't have a problem with it at all.
However, I haven't bought her boys pants yet. I wouldn't be opposed though, and I for sure would use boys pants for her if I had an older DS.

luza
05-03-2010, 12:21 AM
I grew up wearing my brothers' hand-me-downs, supplemented by dresses my mother made me, and almost always preferred their clothes (sometimes the sizing on the boys' clothes was off). DD is pretty girly but often I find that the girls' clothes in stores are too flashy for my taste (too many sparkles and appliques, or text I don't like). We've sometimes compromised by getting boy's jeans and adding appliques or ribbon trim that we choose together.

klwa
05-03-2010, 06:36 AM
I wore my older brothers' clothes growing up & wasn't scarred by it. :) At least, I wore the ones that weren't so worn out they couldn't be worn any more. (I remember wearing a Dallas Cowboys T-shirt in elementary school even though that wasn't "my team".)

catroddick
05-03-2010, 02:17 PM
I don't have any problem with it. Some of DD best stuff is unisex/boys- overalls, cargo pants, etc. I just pair it with a bright pink or frilly top- and that's just because people get all P.O.'d if they cant tell that she's a girl.

I also just ordered her the cutest pair of See Kai Run boy's sandals (http://www.diapers.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?productId=22680), because it is virtually impossible to find girl's sandals in brown. And don't even get me started on the challenges of trying to find a boot or shoe that is suitable for being out with the horses....

Piglet
05-03-2010, 02:46 PM
I also have 2 older boys and a girl. I wanted to reuse a lot of the boys things, but somehow it just didn't happen. I just didn't reach for those items when I was dressing her, ykwim? I ended up giving all my boys clothes to friends/relatives that were having boys (and some even returned the favour by giving me the girl hand me downs). The exception is PJs. DD is always wearing boy colours. One of them is even DS1's (an obviously very well made one-piece PJ from BabyGap - it has gone through all 3 kids and still looks great).

SpaceGal
05-03-2010, 06:16 PM
I also have 2 older boys and a girl. I wanted to reuse a lot of the boys things, but somehow it just didn't happen. I just didn't reach for those items when I was dressing her, ykwim? I ended up giving all my boys clothes to friends/relatives that were having boys (and some even returned the favour by giving me the girl hand me downs). The exception is PJs. DD is always wearing boy colours. One of them is even DS1's (an obviously very well made one-piece PJ from BabyGap - it has gone through all 3 kids and still looks great).

See this is what I think could happen to me...the "not reaching for the boys stuff to put on her". I did decide to hold on to the pants for just in case they do work since that's the thing I noticed she doesn't have a lot of that I bought ahead for. I think I was scarred from being boy like...boy hair cut, pants all the time and boyish tops. Just because it was easier. Oh well I guess it doesn't hurt to hold on to pants I just really wanted to PURGE.

I did save a lot of PJs of the boys for her...there are a lot and my mom lucked out and got her a lot of girly jammies for the future years at one of the big Kohls online sales. I only got rid of the PJs that didn't look in great shape or those I had too many sizes of.

I do appreciate everyone's thought and it's interesting to see the diversity of opinions.

shishamo
05-04-2010, 11:57 AM
I have a boy followed by two girls. I can tell you that I did keep most of my son's clothing initially and bought some girly ones to supplement- but, somehow, the hand me downs did not get worn as much, other than plain t-shirts and straight legged jeans. And to make the matters worse (insert smiley face here), my daughter decided to get very opinionated about her clothing around 22 months or so and started picking what to wear that day (she is very stubborn as well). That was the end of handing down clothing for us:-). I did resell a lot of my son's nicer clothing.

I will say that just this year (my son is 10 and my older daughter is 8), she started to wear *some* of his clothing-his stright-legged jeans and board shorts. This is completely her idea, first I was like "what are you doing?" But this is different that what you are asking- it's kind of a *boyfriend jeans* type look, that she's pairing it with girly tees and ballet flats, etc.

August Mom
05-04-2010, 01:41 PM
I would keep things that you consider unisex now, but don't be surprised if you don't use them. I kept neutral shorts, jeans, etc. and never really wanted to dress DD in them. Maybe you'll feel differently, but I wouldn't count on the hand-me-downs getting a lot of use. I do wish I'd kept more of DS's PJs. I only kept a handful of unisexish ones, but I would have put her in sports and car PJs in actuality.

groundhog74
05-04-2010, 04:43 PM
I find that my DS's pants seem way too wide to fit my DD.