PDA

View Full Version : S/O 2010 Declutter challenge

jgenie
05-02-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm so in need of this and thought it might be fun to keep track of the random things we were holding onto - just in case. I'm aiming for 2010 items in 2010!!

niccig
05-02-2010, 03:53 PM
I'll join.

I need to do all the closets and the garage.
DH and I are talking about a remodel that won't happen for another 18 months at the earliest, and it would be nice to have the junk out of the house prior to having to pack things into storage.

SpaceGal
05-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Oh I just had my first garage sale and was able to sell a few bins of my sons' clothes. I am still going through 10 bins of clothes....sorting through stuff that I got them for later and stuff for now and hand-me-downs. I also am going through my closet and am getting rid of those things I haven't worn in years and plan to donate.

I plan to put what's left into next year's garage sale boxes and/or donations.

randomkid
05-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Timely post. We just had a pipe burst and everything in our Master bedroom closet, except clothes is stacked around the house. My plan is to go through everything before it gets put back into the closet.

During all this madness, I thought it would be a good time to switch to AT&T U-Verse - lol! We have a large wall unit that houses all of our videos games, DVDs, CDs, etc that we have to move so they can get behind the TV. I have to box all of that up tonight so we can somehow move this monstrosity - all 3 sections are screwed together. When we got it, DH said we were never moving again because he didn't want to have to move the thing! So, I will actually be cleaning it out after 7 years and the plan is the same as for the master closet. One other benefit - I'll get to clean up all the piles of dust back there!

Lastly, our attic - ugh! I went up there a couple of days ago to look for the box of extra laminate so we could do a patch job on the portion of the floor that was flooded (until we replace it). I found a box of stuff that I totally forgot about and a box from DSDs' room from our old house. If we haven't opened them in 7 years, it's time for them to go. My stepdaughters were 10 and 12 when we moved in here, so who knows what is in that big box! Just looking around, there are several other boxes to go through. Of course, this had to happen when it's really starting to get hot here, so going in the attic is miserable right now.

Wish I could take a month off from work and just get it all done!

C99
05-02-2010, 06:18 PM
I have been reading BH&G since 1999. I purged all the ones from before 2004 in 2006 or 2007, but I've just been going through all of them and purging them all. I also had kept our coffee table that we haven't used since my first child started walking, and just brought it to the Salvation Army a few weeks ago. I've also been purging all the old cans of latex paint that are all dried up, etc. It turns out that you can just recycle the cans...

MoJo
05-03-2010, 07:32 AM
We're in the process of re-arranging our living room. So far, we've taken out at least two extra bags of trash and have four bags of things to take to Goodwill.