PDA

View Full Version : Allergy or reflux?

buddyleebaby
05-02-2010, 05:35 PM
DD2 vomits fairly often and I attributed it to reflux. I discussed it with her ped and she has an appointment with a gastroenterologist.

She just vomited again, following her usual pattern of playing happily, puking, and going back to playing happily. She does not have a fever.

She had hard boiled eggs for lunch. It *just* hit me as she was vomiting that she seems to vomit fairly often after eating eggs. But, then again she eats eggs pretty often. So I don't know if she vomits often because she eats eggs or she vomits often and it just so happens eggs is what she ate.

She does have chronic eczema. I told her for allergy testing a year or two ago to try and find the cause and she was negative for all the top allergens, including eggs. She has a prescription cream from the dermatologist which helps but never fully gets rids of the rash. Though the two could be unrelated.

She had a reaction to something last spring and broke out in horrible scary hives all over her body for 8 hours or so, then they disappeared completely. I took her to the pediatrician in the morning and she said we would probably never know what it was. It could have been grass or some plant. (She was playing outside near the woods for pretty much the first time that season).
We had a frittata made with egg-beaters for dinner that night.

Not sure what my question is but I would appreciate any insight, thoughts or suggestions.

ETA: I am fairly sure of the reflux. From what I have read, she has nearly all the symptoms. I am just unsure if she has an allergy on top of it.

egoldber
05-02-2010, 06:23 PM
It may or may not be an allergy, but many foods exacerbate reflux. Some common ones are citrus, dairy, tomato and caffeine. I think egg is probably more likely to be an allergy than just an irritant.

ThreeofUs
05-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Reflux is a symptom. The cause of the reflux can be anything from an allergy to a malformed valve in the esophagus.

Sounds to me, from a very great distance, that it might be a slight egg allergy or intolerance causing the reflux.

Get her tested.

buddyleebaby
05-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Reflux is a symptom. The cause of the reflux can be anything from an allergy to a malformed valve in the esophagus.

Sounds to me, from a very great distance, that it might be a slight egg allergy or intolerance causing the reflux.

Get her tested.

Thanks.
I am assuming I need to ask them to draw blood this time? The test she had previously was done on her back.

ThreeofUs
05-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Hmmm, I hate to say it, but I probably would.

But if she's not refluxing all the time, then something's acting as a trigger. It could be an intolerance, though, and that you could test for at home just by cutting possible offenders from her diet and seeing if it makes a difference.

You know, why don't you try cutting eggs from her diet for a week or so and see how that works?

daisymommy
05-02-2010, 08:17 PM
You know, why don't you try cutting eggs from her diet for a week or so and see how that works?

That certainly sounds like the easiest thing to do IMO. I hate doing tests on kids; hopefully they can be avoided.

KpbS
05-02-2010, 08:52 PM
I would ask for a repeat of the skin test and a blood test. As they get older and have repeated exposures to potential allergens, the tests results are often more accurate than when they are very little. DS1 as an infant had terrible reflux and allergies. He would vomit after nursing after I had eaten certain foods and sometimes have hives. Hope you can get some answers soon.

Melbel
05-03-2010, 07:05 AM
DD2 (23 months) is a severe refluxer. Even though her allergy tests were all negative last year, our pedi allergist/immunologist recommeded for us not to introduce eggs, shrimp or any nuts until age 3. FWIW, we have a family history of peanut allergy (DH), asthma (DS and DD1) and eczema (me, DS and DD1) We plan to repeat allergy tests at age 2.

In your case, I would definitely eliminate eggs for now to see if it helps and repeat allergy testing at age 2 or whatever age recommended by your DD2's doctors.