PDA

View Full Version : Boil water order in Boston, are baths ok?

jess_g
05-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Well it sounds like we need to boil our tap water before drinking it until Thursday in the Boston area (only certain towns are effected). So what should we do for bathing? It's hard to imagine filling the tub with undrinkable water and letting him soak in it. He is 6 so too old for a sink bath. I need some thoughts on what water to use tobathe him (tap, boiled tap, or bottled) and how to do it. Any thoughts would be appreciated. We caannot wait until thursday when this gets fixed.

Jessica

trales
05-02-2010, 07:45 PM
You let him swim in pond and pool water that you cannot drink. I would treat this just like that. If you are really worried, you could put a tsp of bleach for every so many gallons of water in the tub, check the bottle and that would kill anything in the water and still be less chlorine than the local Y.

KrisM
05-02-2010, 08:03 PM
I agree. Unless he's never been in a pool or lake, etc, I don't think this is awful to bathe in. You could have him take a quick shower instead of sitting in a bath though.

AbbysMom
05-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Just read a Q&A on Boston.com and it said young children should be given sponge baths but if your son won't drink the water, I think he can bathe in it.

wellyes
05-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Oh goodness it won't be fixed til THURSDAY?

I'd probably just sponge bath and have him hold his breath through the hair washing (sink).

hillview
05-02-2010, 08:35 PM
My kids just took a bath in it.
/hillary

bubbaray
05-02-2010, 08:44 PM
We periodically have boil water advisories here (ie., when there are mud slides into the water reservoir during the winter) and have never avoided baths or showers. In fact, I've used that water to brush my teeth.

doberbrat
05-02-2010, 08:50 PM
THURSDAY? Where did you hear that??? ugh I know it could be worse but we're really suffering Since I'm nursing and dd2 is putting EVERYTHING in her mouth, I'm certainly not going to shower or wash clothes in it. I guess I'm lucky that I can go to work to shower. Tonight we went to the Y to swim/shower. and I guess I'll be doing laundry over lunchtime near work. but THURSDAY? Yikes!

Thank goodness I'd stocked up on water a few weeks ago.

jess_g
05-02-2010, 10:07 PM
THURSDAY? Where did you hear that??? .

Thursday is what the voice recording that called us today said. I think it's just an estimate, but it's better than the 10 days they originaly told us.

We were also at the Y today, but we did gymnastics.

And I already gave in and gave both boys mini baths.

Jessica

billysmommy
05-02-2010, 10:53 PM
You let him swim in pond and pool water that you cannot drink. I would treat this just like that. If you are really worried, you could put a tsp of bleach for every so many gallons of water in the tub, check the bottle and that would kill anything in the water and still be less chlorine than the local Y.

:yeahthat:

mariza
05-02-2010, 11:29 PM
For once I am happy to be on well water!