PDA

View Full Version : Update: written AND road tests for expired license!!!

Melaine
05-02-2010, 09:08 PM
I CANNOT believe this. We had a lovely date night on Friday and I got carded at a bar :). Doing so, I noticed that my license was physically falling apart. DH pointed out something even more disturbing: My license expired last JUNE!

WTH? I haven't gotten anything in the mail about it (I'm 100% sure) and I certainly had no idea it was expired. I'm so POed that now I have to go all the way to the DMV and deal with renewing it. My dad said that since it has been expired for so long they will make me take the test again.

I think he's just trying to freak me out. Anyone know for sure what they will do?

TwinFoxes
05-02-2010, 09:13 PM
I think it varies by state. But I doubt they'll make you take the written test again, and definitely not behind the wheel.

lalasmama
05-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Differs state to state. You may be able to find out on your state's DMV site. Ours lists a lot of things like that.

infomama
05-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Editing this because I just checked my states BMV site and you only have 6 months to get it renewed before you have to start the process all over. Hope your state is more lax than mine.

Cam&Clay
05-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Recently, I thought mine expired at the end of the month (they used to, I swear) but it had actually expired ON my birthday which was the 12th. When I went in at the end of the month, I just had to produce a passport or some other extra documentation. The same thing happened to my husband and he used his military ID.

But it probably does vary from state to state.

DietCokeLover
05-02-2010, 09:32 PM
I think in your state you do have to do the written test.

Penny's Pappa
05-02-2010, 09:35 PM
This will vary by state, I'm sure. Here in Ohio, if your license is expired by more than 6 months you have to apply for a temp. permit and re-take all the tests before you will be re-issued your regular license.

Melaine
05-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks guys. BOOOOO this sucks. I'm so annoyed that I didn't get any warning in the mail about this. PSA: Check your license yourself for expiration date!

gatorsmom
05-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks guys. BOOOOO this sucks. I'm so annoyed that I didn't get any warning in the mail about this. PSA: Check your license yourself for expiration date!

I know all about this. It happened to me 2 years ago. But I realized it about 3 days after my birthday when it expired. I think I DID have to take the written test again which was no biggie.

Hope you only have to do that part!

AJP
05-03-2010, 06:48 AM
I think my state (MA) is no longer sending renewal reminders for licenses. I remember seeing ads telling us all to check our exp dates. I don't know if they're tyring to save $ by not mailing the reminder card or hoping to make $$$ by catching all the people who are now unaware they are driving with expired licenses. Hope you get it settled soon!

liz
05-03-2010, 08:47 AM
This just happened to me this weekend! My birthday was Saturday and on Sunday (on the way to catch a train to Boston) I quickly ran to CVS to buy DS2 some decongestant (super bad allergies) and thanks to all the freakin' drug addicts I got carded. Lo and Behold, expired license. I was able to renew my license online when I got home, but I was nervous thinking I would have to go to the RMV, have to pay a higher fee, etc. I also live in MA, so I did not get a renewal notice. Seriously? With all the taxes I pay, can they not send me a postcard every 5 years to remind me?? Anyway, I know this doesn't really help you, but just know that I sympathise and send PT your way so you don't have to take a test.

Melaine
05-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Thanks! I'm printing out the form to take with me so hopefully it will speed the process along. I can't believe they are no longer sending out reminders in some states! I know that my husband got one recently, so I don't think that's the case this time.

I was thinking with ALL that time, money and energy sending out all the freakin' census reminders, they could have done something useful and given me a heads up about the license renewal!

DebbieJ
05-03-2010, 11:04 AM
My DH's license expired in Jan. He just renewed it last month. He didn't have to retake anything. He just went and paid his fee and was done.

Melaine
05-03-2010, 03:12 PM
So, I went in this morning and was told I had to take both the written and road tests since my license was expired more than 9 months. I past the written test, but barely I think. Missed 6 out of 30. Those questions are tricky! Anyway, then they told me I couldn't take the road test because it was "raining" (drizzling). So I hung around for a couple hours and finally got to test around 2. Thank goodness I passed, it was so nerve-wracking! I couldn't find my bright lights (I call DH every time I need to use them) and I forgot which way to turn my wheels on a hill.

Check your license expiration dates!!!!

happymom
05-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Wow! I cant believe you had to retake the driving test! Glad you passed and everything went well though. Its funny how tricky it seems to pass a driving test even though you drive all the time...its just not the same!

TwinFoxes
05-03-2010, 03:24 PM
I think it varies by state. But I doubt they'll make you take the written test again, and definitely not behind the wheel.

In the "shows how much I know" category!! It really does vary by state though. My California license was way expired once and I certainly didn't do behind the wheel.

I'm glad you passed! :cheerleader1:

gatorsmom
05-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Oh my gosh, good thing you were able to get it done and out of the way. And good for you for passing it!

essnce629
05-03-2010, 05:52 PM
So, I went in this morning and was told I had to take both the written and road tests since my license was expired more than 9 months.

Wow, it must be different for each state then. My CA license was expired for 18 months (long story but we moved 3 times and apparently govt mail doesn't get forwarded and I never got mine in the mail). I just renewed mine a few weeks ago and all I had to do was pay $25 and that's it. No test or anything, which I'm glad since I could only go to the DMV with DS2 and I don't know how I'd take a test with him around! It was bad enough being there for 45 minutes and that was with an appointment.

michellerw
05-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Recently, I thought mine expired at the end of the month (they used to, I swear) but it had actually expired ON my birthday which was the 12th. When I went in at the end of the month, I just had to produce a passport or some other extra documentation. The same thing happened to my husband and he used his military ID.

But it probably does vary from state to state.

Susan, I think it changed. I thought I had until the end of June to renew mine but apparently I only had until my birthday. Either way, I was able to renew over the internet this year, thank goodness.

DrSally
05-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Wow! Well, good for you for passing it. I've moved so many times and had to retake the written 2 out of 3 times. The last time, I had kids, so I kept putting it off. I did have to read the brochure--there were a lot of obscure questions. They actually were giving me a hard time for taking DD in with me b/c they thought she would make noise. I'm a SAHM with no childcare, when am I going to get this done during business hours? Anyway, luckily she was rested, fed and changed and only gurggled during the test. Boy, did I speed through it though.

Melaine
05-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Sally, I was lucky that my mom had to come in town so she went with me and the girls to the DMV. I doubt they would have taken me on the road test with the two three-year-olds in the backseat!

TwinFoxes
05-04-2010, 07:55 AM
I doubt they would have taken me on the road test with the two three-year-olds in the backseat!

That would have been HILARIOUS! Them chattering away as the instructor is telling you what to do. Picturing that just makes me laugh.

Melaine
05-04-2010, 08:02 AM
That would have been HILARIOUS! Them chattering away as the instructor is telling you what to do. Picturing that just makes me laugh.

No kidding! I can imagine the scenario:
"Where are we going?"
"Who is this lady?"
"Turn on the music!"
"I'm thirsty"
"I have to go potty"

and, inevitably,

"Mama, why are you going so slow?"

Yeah, that would have been really helpful.

TwinFoxes
05-04-2010, 08:04 AM
No kidding! I can imagine the scenario:
"Where are we going?"
"Who is this lady?"
"Turn on the music!"
"I'm thirsty"
"I have to go potty"

and, inevitably,

"Mama, why are you going so slow?"

Yeah, that would have been really helpful.

:hysterical:

vonfirmath
05-04-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't remember ever getting anything in the mail about driver's license expiring.

The DL expires on your birthday. Every year, around my birthday, I just check the year and make sure I'm fine.

DrSally
05-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Sally, I was lucky that my mom had to come in town so she went with me and the girls to the DMV. I doubt they would have taken me on the road test with the two three-year-olds in the backseat!

:rotflmao:

truly scrumptious
05-04-2010, 02:26 PM
"mama, why are you going so slow?"

:rotflmao:

kcimato
05-04-2010, 05:35 PM
I let mine expire too. Just forgot about renewing it even though I was sent the paper work. I had to take the written and road test again. However she just took me around the block. One warning though. DO NOT DRive. You are not covered under your insurance and neither is you DH. Found out the hard way. We changed insurance and that's how we discovered my license had expired. They told us neither of us could drive. This was in VA, so I don't know about your state.