PDA

View Full Version : Combo BCP and Bfing

DrSally
05-02-2010, 09:50 PM
DD is 21 months and nurses 3-4 times a day. I'm really not sure she's getting much of anything, though b/c I don't feel a letdown and most of the time don't even hear her swallowing. It's been awhile since I've seen milk on her mouth when she's done too. She may be like DS, who kept nursing through my preg, eventhough I didn't have any milk at a certain point. Anyway, I think I'd like to wean her around 2 yo, so soon, but I realize based on past experience that it may take awhile--so I can't really count on being done with nursing for a good 6-9 months probably. Who knows, it may happen sooner, but it's hard to tell how each kid will react.

I'd also like to get on some hormonal BC. I just cannot trust myself to take the minipill at the same time everyday. If I were to take a combo BCP, would anything bad happen other than my supposed milk supply decreasing (not necessarily a bad thing since I'm thinking about weaning and DD gets most of her calories from solids now). Is there any neg effect on her, like hormones getting through the milk supply, that I should worry about? Kind of going back and forth btwn a combo BCP and Minera--I'm assuming both would have similar issues around bfing.

As a nice side effect, I'd also like to have a lighter or nonexistent period. These super heavy periods are killer!

Indianamom2
05-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Here's what my OBGYN told me when I asked the same question: She basically said that if my periods had returned (they did around 4 months PP) that the baby was already getting estrogen because my body was producing it (duh, when I thought about it!) so my milk supply wasn't as "pure" as it was before anyhow.

I was like you, except that I was only around 7 months PP and had a low supply already, but I did not feel comfortable with the progesterone only pill and it's effectiveness. I'm great about not missing the pills and even taking them at roughly the same time, but not exactly, and I do not want to be pregnant again.

I am on LoEstrin24FE and I love it for making my period almost non-existent even after only being on it for 2.5 months. It was so heavy before and now it's almost gone or just very light spotting. I also think it really helped my mood.

Anyhow, hope that helps.

DrSally
05-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks, Christina. That makes sense. So, you're on the LoEstrin24FE and still nursing? Has it affected your supply any? I guess that doesn't matter as much to me as the estrogen thing--but what your OB said makes sense. They use such miniscule amounts of hormones nowadays. I actually got my AF back the first month after giving birth!! I was supplementing the 2 weeks (but EBF after that) and I guess that was enough to make it come back--talk about unfair. Does the LoEstrin24FE have iron in it (hence the FE)? I know everyone is responds differently to different pills, but sounds like you really haven't had any undesirable SE on it.

ETA: Kellymom.com gives the combo pills an L3, which had me worried....

lalasmama
05-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Just a quick little note... Mirena only has progesterone. It doesn't have estrogen, so its less likely to affect your supply.

DrSally
05-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Just a quick little note... Mirena only has progesterone. It doesn't have estrogen, so its less likely to affect your supply.

Yes, I was just reading that. It has an L2 rating. What to do, what to do. I did read that you should try the mini pill first before doing the minera, in case you don't like the SE profile of the progesterone only option.

lalasmama
05-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Yes, I was just reading that. It has an L2 rating. What to do, what to do. I did read that you should try the mini pill first before doing the minera, in case you don't like the SE profile of the progesterone only option.

While that seems it would make sense, in reality, it won't tell you a lot. Since its absorbed in the uterus, it may (or may not) affect you the same way an oral medication would... And with that thinking, you could use Depo Provera for the same reason (to see if the progesterone bothers you), but a lot of women have issues with Depo Provera, and yet *love* their Mirena.

FWIW, we put in about 10 Mirenas a week at work, but only remove 1 or 2 every few weeks for reasons not related to product life expiring (bleeding, cramping, don't like checking for strings, "heebie-jeebies" about it after it is in, etc.)... Most of our assistants at work love their Mirenas!

daisymommy
05-03-2010, 10:37 AM
I don't know the answer to your question, but I did want to mention that BC is SYNTHETIC hormones, which are metabolized differently than the natural hormones that your body makes. If they are excreted in your milk, then DD is not getting just the same kind of estrogen that your body makes.

That's why things like BPA, pthylates, and RbGH in cows is such a big deal. Because our bodies don't recognize them as the same natural hormones that our bodies make; they act as foreign elements which do mess up our systems.

Sorry if that was alarmist at all. I just thought you might want the full information load to help you make a decision, or further research how much the BC is excreted into your milk.

DrSally
05-03-2010, 12:13 PM
While that seems it would make sense, in reality, it won't tell you a lot. Since its absorbed in the uterus, it may (or may not) affect you the same way an oral medication would... And with that thinking, you could use Depo Provera for the same reason (to see if the progesterone bothers you), but a lot of women have issues with Depo Provera, and yet *love* their Mirena.

FWIW, we put in about 10 Mirenas a week at work, but only remove 1 or 2 every few weeks for reasons not related to product life expiring (bleeding, cramping, don't like checking for strings, "heebie-jeebies" about it after it is in, etc.)... Most of our assistants at work love their Mirenas!

I was wondering about that too--the differences btwn the progesterone being absorbed by the uterus vs. bloodstream. I would never get Depo Provera, but have heard great things about Minera. I guess you don't really know until you try it.

DrSally
05-03-2010, 12:14 PM
I don't know the answer to your question, but I did want to mention that BC is SYNTHETIC hormones, which are metabolized differently than the natural hormones that your body makes. If they are excreted in your milk, then DD is not getting just the same kind of estrogen that your body makes.

That's why things like BPA, pthylates, and RbGH in cows is such a big deal. Because our bodies don't recognize them as the same natural hormones that our bodies make; they act as foreign elements which do mess up our systems.

Sorry if that was alarmist at all. I just thought you might want the full information load to help you make a decision, or further research how much the BC is excreted into your milk.

Thanks for the info. Good point. I did look up a few articles on Bfing and linked from Kellymom.com last night. Thomas Hale also has an article, but I can't seem to access it.

Indianamom2
05-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Just getting back to reading this, so sorry for the delay.

I was still nursing when I first started taking Loestrin, but I was hoping to switch to formula anyhow (my supply had problems all along, particularly when around AF time). I basically weaned not long afterward, but that was by choice, so I can't really answer the supply issue.

Yes, the hormones are synthetic...I suppose that does make a difference, but the general principle is the same. Definitely discuss with your OBGYN.

As for liking the pill...yes, it seems to be a good fit for me. The only issue I might be having (not sure if it's related or not) is an increase in visual migraines. My migraine issues seem to be connected to hormonal changes anyhow....

And yes, Loestrin does have iron in it I believe. I didn't want to go with something like Mirena because it could cause more cramping and heavier periods for a while....I just couldn't handle a worse period. This has been wonderful thus far.

lalasmama
05-03-2010, 03:39 PM
As for liking the pill...yes, it seems to be a good fit for me. The only issue I might be having (not sure if it's related or not) is an increase in visual migraines. My migraine issues seem to be connected to hormonal changes anyhow.....

Increasing/worsening migraines can be a common side effect from the combo pills. In fact, some doctors won't prescribe combination pills to people who have migraines. (Planned Parenthood has a policy against it, even! I've had several MDs who have refused to prescribe me even very low-dose combo pills because of the risk of increased migraines.)