PDA

View Full Version : PSA: S/O of Children's Medication Recall Thread

randomkid
05-03-2010, 03:12 AM
Just a reminder of how to properly dispose of medications from the McNeil recall website:

How to Dispose of Unused Medicines?

Unless instructed otherwise, do not dispose of unused medicines by emptying them into your sink, toilet, or storm drain.

Some states may have regulations regarding pharmacy or community take-back programs in which they may receive and dispose of returned unused drugs for patients. It is recommended that a local pharmacy or local authority be contacted to determine if it participates in such programs.

In the event that medicines can not be disposed by take-back programs, place them in the household trash taking the following steps.

•Make sure that they are in an unrecognizable sealed container; ensuring that children, pets, and others do not have access to the contents of the container;
•Dispose of the container in household trash.
Visit: www.smarxtdisposal.net

wellyes
05-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks, good reminder.
I've never understood why people dump meds down the toilet.

I remember a scare 10-15 years ago about people going through trash to get narcotics, but that may have been an urban legend. And even if it weren't, that seems kind of like a fruitless endeavor. Wouldn't most of what people found end up being antibiotics (non-maintenance drug) anyway?

elliput
05-03-2010, 08:49 AM
I've never understood why people dump meds down the toilet.
There used to be PSA's on TV telling us to dump old medications in the toilet. The impact on our water supplies was thought to be so small as to be practically unmeasurable. As we have found out, this is not the case, and older generations may not have gotten the message that it is a problem.

wellyes
05-03-2010, 09:56 AM
There used to be PSA's on TV telling us to dump old medications in the toilet.

Ah, I see, from the good old days of lead paint and aesbestoes linolium.