PDA

View Full Version : When do you stop getting Parenting magazines?

mom2one
05-03-2010, 08:51 AM
I noticed the other day that my Parents magazine is good till 2018. (no that is not a typo) Friends keep giving me subscriptions to it. I had no idea I was good for the next 8 years. I find myself not reading it much lately. (that could be due to trying to move from TX to CA and buy and sell a house and all that) I was think of calling and canceling it.

What age of your DC is a good time to stop getting these types of magazines?

daisymommy
05-03-2010, 08:57 AM
So, you have one child who is now 6 yrs. old? If it were me, I would have lost interest about 2 or so years ago. I still get it (although it has become a bit too mainstream for me) but then again, I still have a baby and just turned 4 yr. old.

In your case, I would get something like Family Fun Magazine.

fivi2
05-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Maybe they have a sister publication you can switch your subscription to? I probably stopped most of mine when the girls were 3. Sometimes one will randomly show up.

If you can't switch it, I don't know if I would cancel it if that means you lose the money. I would maybe donate it somewhere.

JoyNChrist
05-03-2010, 10:35 AM
I haven't read Parents or Parenting in probably a year. I just find most of the articles really common sense or things that I've already heard about from the Internet.

I really like Family Fun and Mothering...maybe switch to one of those?

schrocat
05-03-2010, 11:35 AM
When my kids outgrow Gymboree? I don't really read my parenting type magazines anymore actually. I just keep my subscriptions for the gymboree coupons.

sste
05-03-2010, 12:25 PM
I think that Parenting is mainly a vehicle for advertisements . . . I find it useless. I have never subscribed and I still get the darn thing in the mail all the time.

sue_g
05-03-2010, 12:30 PM
There is a Parenting School Years magazine!! It is relatively new. Maybe they will let you change to that.

rlu
05-03-2010, 12:39 PM
I stopped paying for it when I found I wasn't finishing an issue before the next one came.

I just found the stockpile of them (2007 - 2008) and realize I am now reading totally different articles than I would have when I actually received them. As PP mentioned, fairly common sense stuff, but I read it faithfully when DS was small.

momof2girls
05-03-2010, 12:55 PM
When DD1 was about 5.

maestramommy
05-03-2010, 01:18 PM
I stopped renewing last year. Now Parenting suddenly showed up. I did NOT subscribe. This is like the Cookie mag that came for a year even though I never subscribed. I really don't need those mags anymore. If there's a true health or safety alert I usually hear it here anyway:p, BEFORE it shows up in Parents.

WatchingThemGrow
05-03-2010, 01:22 PM
I think that Parenting is mainly a vehicle for advertisements . . . I find it useless. I have never subscribed and I still get the darn thing in the mail all the time.
I feel badly recycling them, but seriously, they just show up constantly. I've never ordered them.

liamsmom
05-03-2010, 02:01 PM
I stopped renewing last year. Now Parenting suddenly showed up. I did NOT subscribe. This is like the Cookie mag that came for a year even though I never subscribed. I really don't need those mags anymore. If there's a true health or safety alert I usually hear it here anyway, BEFORE it shows up in Parents.

Yeah, I never subscribed either and one just showed up last week. I assume I (and everyone else) was put on a mailing list by other magazines or retailers. We never get a bill right?

SnuggleBuggles
05-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Donate them to a Dr.'s office or some other place with an audience that would like to read them. Back when I used to get them I would take them to the lounge at ds1's preschool. Until I did that there were like 5 issues from 2000. I know other parents appreciated having new reading material while they were hanging out. Dance studio, karate, gymnastics...there is bound to be a waiting room somewhere to take them.

I still buy the b-day party issue and ds1 is 7yo but otherwise I stopped being interested long ago. I do like Family Fun though.

Beth

rlu
05-03-2010, 02:45 PM
I feel badly recycling them, but seriously, they just show up constantly. I've never ordered them.

Our local library has a "free trading" shelf for magazines where they do the book sales. I would take the more recent issues when I remembered and just leave them there. I also like the suggestion to take to waiting rooms from pp.

eta: I've seen people put up years worth of mags on freecycle - not sure if anyone ever takes them or nor.

edurnemk
05-03-2010, 03:47 PM
I thought my subscription had expired like a year ago, I never renewed it, never got another bill and I still get it in the mail every month. I liked Parenting better before the change of format, I don't find them interesting enymore and never read them.

Teh same happened with Bon Appetit, I got 2 trial issues with the purchase of my Kithen aid mixer, I never subscribed and I've been getting it for over a year, but they do send a bill, I never pay, I asked to be removed and I still get the darn thing.