PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody have a parakeet or other small bird?

JoyNChrist
05-03-2010, 10:33 AM
DH mentioned last night that he would like to get a parakeet when we move into our new house. He really likes birds (his parents have a parrot that's about the same age as he is) and he thinks it would be a good pet for DS. I think it might be a good idea, as long as DH and DS take care of it (I don't need anything else in this house to take care of, lol). DS is pretty responsible (for a three year old) with his goldfish - remembers to feed him every day, helps me clean the tank, hasn't gotten bored with it in over a year, etc.

But I've never personally had birds, so I'm not really sure how much trouble/mess/noise we would be getting ourselves into.

Neatfreak
05-03-2010, 10:51 AM
I had a parakeet for most of my life (my latest bird is still around, but he's with my parents as we couldn't take him when we moved overseas), and I think that they are great little pets. Parakeets aren't much trouble. Mine liked regular out-of-cage time on a small bird gym and finding all sorts of things to turn into toys (flipping coins off of our coffee table was endlessly amusing). Parakeet poo is small and fairly tidy. I endeavored to clean the cage 3-4 times a week, though the vet always recommended daily. Noise ... well, I had a very quiet parakeet once, but the last one is a beautiful singer and chirps nearly all the daylight hours (luckily, it's a lovely song). Sometimes they will squawk more than anything else, though.

hillview
05-03-2010, 10:55 AM
I had a parakeet for many years growing up. You have to clean their cage and feed / water them. You can cover them at night to help them (and you) sleep. They do live for a LONG time -- 12-14 years. So you need to be prepared for that.
/hillary

randomkid
05-03-2010, 10:59 AM
I have had several birds from parakeets (budgies) to an Amazon parrot. IMO, they are a lot of work. For a bird to be truly healthy, you can't just feed it seeds and water. When you do feed them fresh foods, they tear at it and throw it around. They probably only eat a small fraction of what you give them and the rest is tossed about. They make a big mess, poop a lot and their cages need to be cleaned frequently. I haven't had a bird in years, but I have had dreams a few times that I have forgotten to feed my bird, change out it's water, etc. This is a daily care kind of pet. I loved my birds, but no way would I have one now with working, taking care of the house and DD. This site has really good info on caring for a parakeet. http://www.birdguys.com/pet-bird-articles-parakeet.html From that site "Your parakeet needs fresh food and water everyday. The bird cage water bottles should be washed in warm water with dishwashing soap daily to avoid build up of algae."
Not to be negative, but just wanted you to know what you would be getting into and to know the reality of owning a bird, even a small one.

ETA: I am a firm believer that if you are going to own a bird, then it should be cared for completely and given a happy, healthy life. We used to let our parakeets fly around the house, I took them out on our back porch for baths, etc. You cannot take them outside, obviously, unless you clip their wings. I don't believe in clipping wings on a small bird, but that's just my animal loving self. Be aware that if you do decide to get a bird and do clip their wings, they will grow out. Your bird could unexpectedly end up flying away!

wellyes
05-03-2010, 11:05 AM
I had two as a kid and they are stiiiiinky. For comparison, I also had a pet mouse, which requires a lot of maintenance too but is less stinky. We ended up keeping them in the bathroom. I felt bad for them. I like the idea of letting them fly around the house.

Momof3Labs
05-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Skip it for now!!! Until the twins are settled in (around 6mo or so), don't add anything that increases anyone's responsibilities even an iota. In a year or so, if he still wants one, then go for it. But you are going from 1 to 3 kids soon - it is truly "all hands on deck!"

JoyNChrist
05-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Skip it for now!!! Until the twins are settled in (around 6mo or so), don't add anything that increases anyone's responsibilities even an iota. In a year or so, if he still wants one, then go for it. But you are going from 1 to 3 kids soon - it is truly "all hands on deck!"

Oh yeah, this is definitely a "maybe a year down the road" kind of thing. I just like to do my research because I take pet ownership very seriously. ;)

Thanks for all the info everyone!

doberbrat
05-03-2010, 02:41 PM
had them as a kid. they can be a little delicate for small kids. they're pretty easy to care for, feed, clean water, clean cage, handle daily. ours had time out of their cage daily. we had long conversations, they showered with me, age with me etc. We did have 2 that spoke but its not that common and its a high pitched squeeky voice

you might look into a cockatiel. they're a bit bigger, a bit sturdier, and can do more in terms of playing, tricks and speaking. one of mine had an extensive vocabulary. They do live a very very long time when properly cared for 15-25 yrs. I got ET when I was 12 and I think he's only been gone a few years so he was nearly 25. - I got him as a 6day old hatchling and hand raised him.

we did mostly clip their wings but you must be super careful that they are well protected when clipped. its easy for them t be stepped on, gotten by other family pets etc.